LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New upper control arms fixes clicking

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-03, 06:58 PM
Pilot
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New upper control arms fixes clicking

I own a 91 LS400. I have been trying to get rid of a clicking noise in the front end, when going over small bumps. I have in the past several months replaced the lower ball joints, and installed new Tokico blue struts. Soon after I installed the new struts, I was hearing a clicking noise in the front end when going over small bumps. I jacked the car up and removed the right front wheel. I banged my hand against the upper control arm and heard the clicking noise. There was a very slight movement on the upper bushings. I tried to tighen up the attachment bolts, but this did not help. I also checked the front anti sway bar bushings, and they were tight. I finally bit the big bullet and purchased both upper control arrms.
I checked with several dealers and found the best price at www.irontoad.com which was 301.00 each.
As most of you know, you cannot purchase the upper control arm bushings, as Lexus only sells the complete arm assembly, with the bushings in place, as well as the upper ball joint. Since it has only been a short time since replacing my struts, it only took me less then 1 hour labor per side to change the upper control arims. There are no special tools involved. You have to remove the strut assembly, then only 3 bolts to remove the control arm. After taking off the nut on the upper ball joint, I used a large hammer to knock the taper press fit loose. On the third hammer swing, the joint came loose, and the new one slipped right into place. I just got back from a test drive, and the car is as quiet as when the car was new!
I finally have the suspension back to factory new specs, and will enjoy the smooth quiet ride! Oh, I forgot to mention that the bushings on the old control arm were shot. You cannot tell by a visual inspection, without having the control arm off the car. The bushing is rubber with a metal insert for the upper attachment bolts to go thru. It was this metal center bushing that was partially detached from the rest of the rubber bushing. The only way to see this is with the control arm off the car.

Pilot
91 LS400
01 RX300
Old 03-25-03, 04:02 PM
Blue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I may have the same deal in my "95, mine sort of groans, like a tired old bushing, I just replaced the front struts and lower ball joints, suirted aerosol silicone on everything ubber I could see, and the dealership offered to replace mine for around $605.00 a piece.
I just might have to do it myself.
The darn car only has 60,000 miles!!?