LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

YAY! G-tech 0-60 / HP / 1/4 Mile times!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03, 09:02 PM
Lvangundy

Default YAY! G-tech 0-60 / HP / 1/4 Mile times!

Alright! Here's a little suprise for everyone to check out and analyze!

First off we do have the issue of the G-tech reporting slightly optimistic times, so based off what Jbrady told me of 0.3 seconds (faster) I'll add 0.2 for fun. The G-tech seems to report not so consistent times but very close. I unfortunetly did not get to do the K&N test yet, but eventually I will. We all know what happened on the dyno with the K&N Gas tank was at 7/8 full. Also had tons of junk inside ..papers/backpack/ stereo with big speaker box / spare tire.

*edit - Something else to think about is these tests were ran consecutively after each other. The higher times in each category could have been from heat build up or the actual mod. I should of ran another stock run after the last test to see if the numbers were similar. All these ideas running through my head!

Also the 'airbox mod' that I did was not the same as Jbrady's mod as he kept the stock filter housing on and cut a hole on the front of the housing. I just removed the housing completely and clipped in the filter.

I did 3 runs specifically for 0-60 times with 3 modifications to the airbox. I ran on a (guessing) 1% (maybe 0.5%) road incline (you could see over a long distance the road slightly went up.) Also I had removed the gold 12 sqaured 'leaf catcher' in the intake cone behind the filter. This has been off for a couple days and has no effect on idle. I'm NOT referring to the honeycomb air separator.

Also did 2 1/4 mile runs with 2 mods instead of 3. I think I knew where it was going so I only did 2. The HP tests are difficult because I do not know the exact weight of my car. I called up JBrady to give me an estimate since he has dragged so many times. *Thanks Jbrady for all the other info!*

I think that the air filter housing serves a BIG part in keeping the intake air cool. Maybe some kind of cold airbox (basically a stock airbox) over another type of filter or a more open one to fit over the stock filter would help.

[Section I - 0-60 Times]
(* = modified time - more realistic.)
First run ~ 0 - 60 - Stock airbox setup.
1. 8.53 ( + 0.2) = 8.73*
2. 8.34 ( + 0.2) = 8.54*
3. 8.47 ( + 0.2) = 8.67*
Average = 8.46 (8.64*)

-------------------------

Second run ~ 0-60 'Airbox Mod' (no filter cover/ housing)
1. 8.73 ( + 0.2) = 8.93*
2. 8.45 ( + 0.2) = 8.65*
3. 8.73 ( + 0.2) = 8.93*
Average = 8.63 (8.83*)

-------------------------

Third run ~ 0.60 No filter and no housing
1. 8.66 ( + 0.2) = 8.86*
2. 8.87 ( + 0.2) = 9.07*
3. 8.47 ( + 0.2) = 8.67*
Average = 8.66 (8.86*)

--------------------------

[Section II - 1/4 Mile times] - How do I adjust the time for the -2mph difference?

1/4 Mile run # 1 (Stock airbox setup)
Time = 16.39
Speed = 89.7mph (-2mph) = 87.7mph

1/4 Mile run # 2 ('Airbox mod' no filter housing)
Time = 16.58
Speed = 88.9mph (-2mph) = 86.9

[Section III - HP Rating]

HP @ 4,300 lbs (estimated car weight)
178 HP.

There ya go everyone! K&N is up next!

Last edited by Lvangundy; 02-21-03 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-21-03, 07:17 AM
Lvangundy

If anyone has any input on figuring out the difference in power loss with the 'airbox mod' compared to the stock setup please feel free to mention any ideas.

Right now I'm the only one with any conclusion on this, which is that the hot air must be somehow blocked from coming off the engine into the intake if the filter housing is removed.

EDIT -

More thoughts -
This g-tech has got my mind spinning LOL

The airfilter housing has little room for improvement. As I understand we're not trying to get MORE air into the intake, but more densely packed air (which means colder, right?) With this in thought a 'cold air' intake system is as only as good as the outside air temperature plus the temp changes from the filter to the intake manifold.

Where can we improve on this? I'm thinking wrap the plastic intake pieces in some kind of heat shielded material (this has been brough up before I know) and keep as much vacuum as possible from the outside straight into the intake. Sucking in air from TWO places as Jbrady's mod makes me wonder if this is actually prohibiting AIRFLOW and vacuum from the coldest air source which is through the grill (on first gen at least) and that plastic vent voer the radiator.

I came up with this idea seeing the 0-60 times go down as I removed the intake housing. Still, once again I' m unsure of the time loss if it's due to the heat, or air volume/vaccuum. So there's two points I covered in question in this post..heat issue or air flow issue?

Last edited by Lvangundy; 02-21-03 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-21-03, 10:30 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Lee,

I have to borrow that G-Tech. I want to test out my car too and we can do a video at the same time.
Old 02-21-03, 11:51 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Lee, there are MANY variables involved. You are correct that hot air is a problem but you also need maximum airflow. Another problem can be the car adapting to the mod. More air flow could be less power if the computer hasn't compensated for this. Probably the best way to do this kind of test is run the car modified for long enough for the computer to re-adjust to its higher flow rate. Then, do your tests with the modified part(s). Then go back to stock. The stock filter would be like a restriction and therefore be less likely to need the computer to re-adjust. Not perfect but the best you can hope for. Otherwise you must do the tests with many miles between each configuration and compensate for temperature humidity and barometer (getting scientific here )

Anyway, I did back to back runs modified, stock and then modified again and showed a real 5rwhp gain with my airbox mod. Now, remember, mine has a heat shield and extra airflow provided to the filter area.
Old 02-21-03, 01:26 PM
Lvangundy

I think one thing JBrady is that we are two generations apart!

I REALLY think that the first gen ECU does NOT 'learn' as the 98 cars do. In fact, I'd like to see a statement on a product brochure or something that says the 98+ cars learn at all! I'm 50/50 on doubting this. Just because I haven't experienced it myself
and I've never seen any documentation on it.

One reponse is that I've had the intake setup with the 'airbox mod' for several weeks. So if the car adjusted, it had to have done so long ago. The next test I did was the stock airbox setup after I ran with the airbox mod 3 times. I guess this kind of shows that the ECU does not learn.

I think the next tests will be based with the heat shield along with the K&N.