LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tokico + Eibach Analysis (or similar setups)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 07:07 AM
BrianV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tokico + Eibach Analysis (or similar setups)

I have somewhat of a dilemma. As much as I wouldn’t mind lowering my 95 LS a little bit, I come to the problem of sacrificing the ride quality of the best riding car ever produced. Is it worth taking the best of something just for a little better looks and slightly better handling? That’s sort of vane in my opinion. However, I’ve read from people on this board that they don’t seem to think their ride quality went down at all from this suspension change. I find that hard to believe, there’s less travel, and the components are stiffer. I’ve heard people slam their Honda’s and tell me on message boards that their car rides like stock, and then when I ride in it, it is actually quite harsh. The same thing has happened to me with my old Maxima, people swearing that this combo rides as good as, and sometimes better then stock, and I get it, and at first I agree, but the second I put a load in the backseat or trunk, or hit a big pothole I am disgusted with the way the car takes it. I have an LS400, I want rear passengers to be comfortable all the time over all size bumps. I also don’t want increased road/tire noise. I need honest opinions from people who can really see things from my point of view. I hope this discussion yields a good venue to discuss this and not to start a war. Thanks a lot for your time, I will consider and respect everyone’s thoughts.
Old 02-04-03, 07:08 AM
BrianV
Driver

PS I plan on sticking with the 16's, probably off of a gs430 or another Lexus model. If I find a 17 I absolutely love I'd think about doing that, but nothing larger at this point because larger wheels do ride rougher, that's known.
Old 02-04-03, 10:48 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Brian, I called Eibach and was told the LS400 springs were discontinued

I have used Eibach before and enjoyed the dual rate of the springs allowing for small bumps to be smooth while increasing the rate for real handling improvements. Also, lowering the car improves it aerodynamically. Since wind resistance becomes the main factor in top speed a better aero makes for a quicker accelerating car with the same power!

If someone knows of alternative springs that will lower the car WITHOUT making it too firm (subjective I realize) please post the source.
Old 02-04-03, 11:17 AM
BrianV
Driver

Almost all springs made these days from aftermarket vendors are progressive rate springs. The theory behind it sounds great and it does work, but it isn't the solution to all problems. The spring rate is still overall stiffer and there is less travel which results in less absorbtion with stiffer recoil.
Old 02-04-03, 01:51 PM
tn52
Rookie

You will find it very difficult to get anything out this post. Why? You already gave you some good answers in your starting thread. It all about subjective vs objective, and how people defined and felt about "ride", "handling", "response" etc.. This is why their wife/girl friend always the prettiest of the bunch. You know what I mean...
If your mileage is greater than 60K, I can assure you that even OEM replacement components will give you a significant change in ride as compared to your "old" OEM setups. We are still talking OEM here! Struts and springs USUALY don't go bad over night but it tooks time and mileage to wear them down. Here is my 0.02: if you are satisfy or "almost" satisfy with what you have now, then stay stock. If stock setup were "too boring" for you then consider something else. Just to give you an example, on some long trip, in order to drive a little faster, I increased my tire pressure to 34 psi from my normal 30-32 and I already found it to be too rough and bothersome. Almost like a 30 minute ride in my son's Integra...
Old 02-04-03, 07:00 PM
BrianV
Driver

Originally posted by tn52
You will find it very difficult to get anything out this post. Why? You already gave you some good answers in your starting thread. It all about subjective vs objective, and how people defined and felt about "ride", "handling", "response" etc.. This is why their wife/girl friend always the prettiest of the bunch. You know what I mean...
If your mileage is greater than 60K, I can assure you that even OEM replacement components will give you a significant change in ride as compared to your "old" OEM setups. We are still talking OEM here! Struts and springs USUALY don't go bad over night but it tooks time and mileage to wear them down. Here is my 0.02: if you are satisfy or "almost" satisfy with what you have now, then stay stock. If stock setup were "too boring" for you then consider something else. Just to give you an example, on some long trip, in order to drive a little faster, I increased my tire pressure to 34 psi from my normal 30-32 and I already found it to be too rough and bothersome. Almost like a 30 minute ride in my son's Integra...
Thanks that's sort of how I feel.

PS - You have the same last name as my g/f
Old 02-11-03, 07:42 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

The LS400 in Japan is the Celsior. 95-00 models are UCF20/21 chassis. Several Japanese tuners offer everything from mild to wild for these cars but translating the info and getting it stateside is another concern altogether.

I have had some minor luck finding parts. So far, I have found complete adjustable coilover shocks/springs packages but they cost around $2000. Tein looks to be releasing a spring set sometime this summer. They don't have specifics yet but should work with the stock shocks. The shocks will wear out slightly faster but are surprisingly cheap from Lexus They are expected to be fairly soft while lowering the car an inch of so. I am leaning this direction.
Old 02-14-03, 01:42 PM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Default Coilover Choices

jbrady,

You can find Tein Type CS for $1350 shipped (list price $1500). This is full blown coilover with adjustable shocks yet the spring rates are quite mild. Another good thing is you can actually use their EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller) and adjust the shocks stiffness from inside. This costs about $350-400 extra (list price, don't remember the exact price).

If you want sport/racing suspension, try Cusco Zero-2 or JIC SA-1, but I have a feeling that you probably don't want these anyway.

Anyway, my choice is Tein CS since it's a "comfort-type" and the option of ability to adjust the shocks stiffness from inside the cabin. My boyracer instinct is still telling me to get the Zero-2

I also did some research on the Tein Type CS and found a store in Japan selling it for around $1100 (I'm sure with more time spent on research will yield something below $1000). Lack of translator and the thought of paying shipping just for ONE set is killing me. I'm sure if I mention something about G***p P******e once more, I will be kicked out from this club. Oh well. Keep on dreaming.

TFW
Old 02-15-03, 03:11 AM
theomms
Driver

Default no way!

After owning and modifying many cars i follow one simple rule of thumb:

nothing is as good as stock.

not paint
not bulbs
not tail lights
not bumpers(kits)
not even most stereo setups
not everything not sold at the dealer

dont get me wrong, i love aftermarket parts. i own/have owned everything on this little list, but when you change something on your car there is going to be sacrifice.

performance for comfort
comfort for performance
perfomance for style

to me the sacrifice is almost always worth it.

i have a 96 LS, and i have empathy for your dilemma because i desparately want to lower my ride. every other car i have ever owned has been lowered (that is seven and i am only 22) and none of them passed the girlfriend test. "i dont like it, it's so bouncy".

to address th original question i have use tokico/eibach combo before and it is the best for the price but tien is definitely better, i have been in my friends 98 gs400 with the tien coilover an electronic dampening control. all i can say is that the ride in the GS was very good.....for a car with modified suspension.

personally i have been waiting for some feedback on aftermarket air-suspensions.
Old 02-16-03, 01:31 PM
TomWahjudi
Driver

I understand your sentiment, and that's saying it a lot since I have to refrain from starting this into a flame war. Anyway, all I have to say is that it can be done, there will be ways to compensate, the manufacturer does have a way to satisfy most of their customers, but there is that "0.5%" that will not be. I can proudly say that I belong to that "0.5%". If you like your car stock, fine, have it your way.

This is the last, I won't respond to the reply of this nature anymore
Old 02-16-03, 01:53 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

theomms,

I totally disagree with you on audio. If done by a reputable shop with good install it will sound better, it would be as reliable and you can actually turn it up and not hear your sub distorting like crazy at the back.

Brian,

If you are so consearned about the srings, leave stock ones in. you can just swap out your shocks (even just the front ones) and you will still feel a lot of difference in handling.
Old 02-20-03, 08:43 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Yes, I spoke the Tein USA and I agree the CS coilover setup seems to be the BEST way to go. With adjustable shocks (15 position?) and adjustable ride height it should be changeable from comfort to VERY sporty especially with the cockpit adjustable option. Now, they do have springs slated for availability this summer. They should be soft and drop the car 1-1.5"... decisions, decisions
Old 03-03-03, 03:23 PM
NYCLS400
Driver School Candidate

I called eibach today, they said the springs are discontinued, but that they do have 18 sets in stock right now @ $419 a set if anyone is interested
Old 03-06-03, 02:10 PM
Rhabryn
Driver School Candidate

419 a set... BUMP THAT...
get ahold of TMengineering
www.tmengineering.net

MUCH cheaper.. with FAST shipping.

279 without shipping at TMengineering

Last edited by Rhabryn; 03-11-03 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 12:17 PM
Rhabryn
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...php?photo=9656

Recieved these today ... 4/11/03
Cant wait to put them on the Lex

These are Springs and Struts for my LS