LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS 400 Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 03:50 PM
MngreLMatt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 400 Update

Howdy,

Just wanted to check in and say that I did the PCV cleaning yesterday. Definitely not too hard or anything to write home about, but you have to start somewhere. I'm a DIY new guy. Anyway when I finally got it off the little ball bearing inside had some trouble moving from side to side. Now it is sparkling clean and is moving freely. .

As a side note...

When the car isn't fully to running temperature and I accelerate from a stop(slowly, I don't jack rabbit) the RPMs will rise to about 1400-1600 before it will grab. When it does, it isn't jerky or anything. I was wondering if this could be because I need to change the Valve Cover Gasket. That's not a guess, I know that I need to change the VCG.

Here's my train of thought:

Because the gasket needs to be replaced and it isn't an air tight seal..I was thinking that it only does this before the engine has not warmed and expanded enough to make the valve cover gasket gap less of an issue.

It was hard for me to explain where I was coming from, but hopefully that makes a tid bit of sense. If it does not, no worries, like I said I have very little experience working on cars so I could be completely off base.

I am very eager to learn about everything I need to do to keep this beauty going.

P.S. I've searched and searched but the threads tend to get hijacked..What do you guys think of touch up paint? There are several spots on the car where the paint has been damaged down the the metal and need to patch it ASAP as to retard the oxidation process.

Thank You

Matt
Old 11-04-13, 11:02 AM
timmy0tool

Received 427 Likes on 381 Posts

what year is your car? the PCV is usually cheap enough to just replace completely instead of cleaning but what you did is fine.

now when you say grab do you mean the transmission? if you do it is the automatic transmission fluid that is making the car stall. when the fluid is warm, it does a better job in engaging the transmission. i suggest to check the transmission fluid level. use the dip stick marked "trans fluid" next to the brake master cylinder. it may be a good idea to do a drain/fill.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...anschange.html

as for touch up paint, i use it and i recommend it for bare metal spots (granted it is only a rock chip). what other questions did you have on it?
Old 11-04-13, 10:41 PM
MngreLMatt
Driver

Thanks for the reply man!

I wanted to stick with the factory pcv because it is metal and from what I have read the ones that you can purchase aren't, even if they are listed as oem?

Yes it is the transmission. I feel so foolish now to think that the valve cover gasket had anything to do with the cinoression. I'll have to do the transmission fluid soon as well as the ect. Can't wait! There is some super exhilarating about taking car of your car and seeing results however marginal they may be. Just feels good to know that you're taking proper care of the car as best you can even when it may not have been previously.

Do any of you use the synthetic Toyota atm fluid ?

And the spark plugs I'll be doing just as soon as I get the 10mm extension and spark plug socket from harbr freight
Old 11-04-13, 10:43 PM
MngreLMatt
Driver

Feel free to ignore some of my questions as they are impulse decisions and i guess mostly conversational. I'm just really into this car and all of its ins and outs.

Thanks again
Old 11-05-13, 10:25 AM
timmy0tool

Received 427 Likes on 381 Posts

there are certain parts that i feel should be replaced with OEM and some that can be substituted. transmission fluid is one of the things i like to keep OEM. actually most here will agree that toyota type-IV automatic transmission fluid is the only way to go! they aren't entirely too expensive either.

you still didn't give what year your car is.
Old 11-05-13, 11:57 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

On the door frame of your car is the paint and interior color codes... It's in the information sticker on the driver's door frame. Take that number to Toyota or Lexus and you can buy some touchup paint that should match your car. It's price as far as dollar per ounce/ but it will match.

Learning process when you've got something new... At least you're asking questions, being curious and wanting to do the right thing. Excellent start. Keep reading the forum and the stickies and you'll be 'educated' in no time.
Old 11-05-13, 05:11 PM
MngreLMatt
Driver

Sorry about that. It's a '99 ls
Old 11-05-13, 05:11 PM
MngreLMatt
Driver

Thank you guys. You all have been a huge help already
Old 11-05-13, 06:13 PM
MngreLMatt
Driver

I really wish the interior and exterior were taken better care of but that's all right. I'm just thrilled to have reliable transportation.

It would take too much to restore the interior to make it worth it. Luckily the engine was taken care of well enough to allow this tank of a car 200k+.

From here on out it'll be all engine and mechsnical repairs. Look forward to the journey with you all