LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Importance of 90k service

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-12, 08:05 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Importance of 90k service

So for the first time I look up my service history on my ls400 and I did not see the 90k service have been done it only showed up til 45k then the rest was just minor fix, oil change etc. My question is, Ive been reading/lurking on here and timing belt usually are change at 90k or so, so was wondering how important is it to get it done at 90k? If do replace it what else should I replace while I'm there and what to look for?
Old 08-28-12, 09:30 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say pretty important. Depending on year, if it breaks it could cause major damage if it breaks. Its been discussed alot. Should show up in a search.
Old 08-28-12, 09:41 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Its a 98 with 142k now
Old 08-28-12, 10:45 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
Its a 98 with 142k now
Since you have the interference engine I would say that you are really pushing the limits. They are not known to break but if you don't replace the timing belt it will eventually break and send a piston(s) crashing into some valves. Kiss your engine goodbye. I would really drive her easy until you can get the service done. If you order the parts yourself you are looking at about a grand total. They sell packages on eBay and RockAuto that are OEM. Labor is the biggest hit.

AISIN Part # TKT021 With water pump and hydraulic tensioner is only $192.00 You should also do the thermostat, ETC, need coolant, spark plugs, and I am sure there are a few other things that I am forgetting.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-29-12 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-28-12, 11:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This would be a critical maintenance routine if you desire to keep the car. If not, when the belt breaks or water pump seizes, you'll have an excuse for a replacement car. Or a good excuse to rebuild the engine if DIY.
Old 08-28-12, 11:42 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

As I was searching earlier just to get prices on parts etc I found some that was as ls400 timing built kit and all the products are by Bando, Contitech, Mitsuboshi, GMB, Koyo, NTN, NSK, NPW, Paraut, Aisin which is what they listed. And this is what it includes timing belt, water pump, thermostat and gasket, automatic tension adjuster, timing belt tensioner, timing belt idler, one accessory drive belt, front crank and camshaft seals, is there anything else I would need to replace besides what's listed? As for the spark plugs, coolant etc that I can probably hold off til after the timing belt stuff been taken care of, which to me is more important
Old 08-29-12, 12:14 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

please search.

you don't do cam seals on '98+ LS400s since it requires removal of the cams unlike earlier models. Buying an OEM timing belt makes lining everything up a LOT easier as they're marked for the pulleys.

Keep in mind that just because the service isnt in your Lexus service history doesnt mean it wasn't done, as it could have (and often is) done at an independent mechanic. Look through service receipts if your car came with them. If it didn't, look under the hood and look for a sticker somewhere that says when it was done. if that isn't there you can always pull the timing belt cover and try to read the year printed on some belts.

then again, If it was my car, i'd do it now just to be safe >.>
Old 08-29-12, 06:02 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the input guys!! Much appreciated. Pure drifter I look and did not see any sticker, n as u say I think I am just going to go ahead and change it. Now what else should I change, I'm thinking of getting the timing belt kit but still gotta look where to find the best price, any suggestion? I'm going all OEM
Old 08-29-12, 06:14 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

AISIN Part # TKT021 is OEM. RockAuto had the best price I can find. Ainsin also makes the Celsior's tranny and probably many other parts.
Old 08-29-12, 06:18 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Okay I'll check it out! Do they have it as a timing belt kit?
Old 08-29-12, 06:49 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
Okay I'll check it out! Do they have it as a timing belt kit?
Yeah, just go to RockAuto.com and navigate through to your car, then select engine - timing...
Old 08-29-12, 07:10 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Yeah, just go to RockAuto.com and navigate through to your car, then select engine - timing...
Thanks! Seen it a lot cheaper on eBay same brand and everything complete with water pump belt, tensioner, idler etc but don't know if I should trust eBay on this, only one I see complete kit on rockauto is acdelco and the other brand name
Old 08-29-12, 10:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

im not an ACDelco fan, they're a reboxer.

You would need Timing belt, idlers, tensioner, crank seal, and water pump+gasket to do it properly.
Old 08-29-12, 10:12 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

You would need Timing belt, idlers, tensioner, crank seal, and water pump+gasket to do it properly.
I wanna stay OEM or something as close to OEM as possible so everything will just bolt right up line right up. Something that is known to work well and wanna do this job right the first time
Old 08-29-12, 10:13 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

+1 You said you want OEM so go with the OEM Kit, which is TKT021 and includes AISIN Water Pump, KOYO Idler Bearing, KOYO Tensioner Bearing, NTN Hydraulic Tensioner, Mitsuboshi Timing Belt. All you need to get is the crank seal separately. $192 is not expensive for OEM parts. Just go to the dealer and get a quote....

Edit: ebay has the kit for $179....

Quick Reply: Importance of 90k service