LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

PS vacuum to intake fitting

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 09:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts
Default PS vacuum to intake fitting

The Bosch platinum plugs have been in the car now for about 75K, they were due to be changed. Vehicle registration with smog was upcoming so no better time to change the plugs out. Cars of this mileage-age, the plastic become brittle so having to pull hoses off always concerns me. Let's just say I've broken a few fittings along the way to know.

The intake with resonator I was very careful with so I squirted soapy water and tried to twist it to get the hose to loosen up. Haha, it was stuck. The others came off easily. I was a bit more forceful and you can imagine what happened. A sudden snap and the hose was free,

After few moments with choice strings of curse words, this was the damage:

For the heck of it I called to see what a replacement pipe was going for, $355. I continued on with changing the plugs out while thinking how to get the fitting back on. I thought about epoxying the broken one back on but I couldn't pull it from the hose without butchering it so using it over was a no-go.

With the junk in the garage, I managed to figure this would work well.

Old 07-28-12, 09:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Mike,

Napa sells vacuum tees that you could have screwed right into the pipe after drilling out the remains of the old one. Sealing the hole and tee-ing off one of the current lines next to it would have worked too

way to go MacGuyver
Old 07-28-12, 10:36 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

I'll remember that. I have a "Y" adapter and other air compressor fittings that came to mind after this was done. If I had time, I'd have began swapping vacuum lines for fresh ones. Those PS tubes and other ones around the intake plenum are pretty frim now.
Old 07-29-12, 06:41 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

nice job though!
btw why the ****** are u using bosch plugs?
Old 07-29-12, 08:37 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

There was a spark plug discussion about the electrode material I can't find. I don't go against manufacturer recommended typically since they have it built into the engineering-design of the car. Initially it was a big discussion on some other car forum that led me to choose the platinum over the irridiums.
Old 07-29-12, 06:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

NGK Copper for the win!
Old 07-29-12, 07:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Yeah...can you imagine me getting in there to change plugs every 10K or so...I already broke one thing. Snapping the wire looms I can see next. Although I won't curse as much, all that plastic stuff around there is pretty dried out and brittle.
Old 07-29-12, 08:04 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

I once had a similar problem like this. It is a UCF21 Celsior.

I gave up to use the broken and separated piece which I was holding by my hand. Instead of using it, I decided to use an aluminum pipe inserting to the resonator box with an aid of a soldering iron.

The aluminum pipe I had in my junk box was slightly bigger than the hole. Instead of using a drill I used a soldering iron. Heating up the aluminum pipe made it easy to insert. The insertion alone looked OK to hold the pipe but I used an extra epoxy glue expecting for a better reliability. It has been 10 months after the fix. So far there is no problem.
Old 07-29-12, 08:09 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

can you imagine me getting in there to change plugs every 10K or so...I already broke one thing.
if you don't like getting in the car and changing plugs, and don't mind spending a bit more, the longest lasting plugs for your LS are the Nippondenso SK20R11 - and these can last 120-150K miles!
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (07-20-21)
Old 07-29-12, 08:25 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

by the way, next time, try these vacuum hose gripping pliers, which are the correct tool for the job and at $15 for the set, a great deal

Old 07-29-12, 09:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Those hose pliers would have been nice. With the vinyl rubber tubes getting all stiff and conformed to the hose nipples, I can see those pliers being very useful. At 175K miles, many are due to be replaced. Typically, I wind up doing this drill for the cars at about the 175-180K mark.

As for the plugs, next time they need to be changed will be at about 250K miles. If I still have the car but I'm hoping to get to the 300K mark. I've had old Toyota cars but no high miles ones.
Old 07-28-13, 09:35 PM
searcher68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
After few moments with choice strings of curse words, this was the damage:

Does anybody know where the hose goes to that comes off of the broken connection shown in the picture?

I have this as a no-connect right now (open to air) on my '96 LS400. Probably not good. I also have two fittings on the front of the intake manifold (with one connected somewhere else). The fitting on the passenger's side is just capped off (plugged). So, does my power steering pump have two missing vacuum hose connections, or ???

I bought the repair manual hoping to find a vacuum diagram but can't find anything useful. Grrrr!!! (A page # would be awesome if it's actually there, I just seem to be missing it.)

Thanks for any assistance.
--Mike
Old 07-28-13, 10:13 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by searcher68
Does anybody know where the hose goes to that comes off of the broken connection shown in the picture?

I have this as a no-connect right now (open to air) on my '96 LS400. Probably not good. I also have two fittings on the front of the intake manifold (with one connected somewhere else). The fitting on the passenger's side is just capped off (plugged). So, does my power steering pump have two missing vacuum hose connections, or ???

I bought the repair manual hoping to find a vacuum diagram but can't find anything useful. Grrrr!!! (A page # would be awesome if it's actually there, I just seem to be missing it.)

Thanks for any assistance.
--Mike
Just open the hood and look up, the vacuum diagram should be on a sticker on the underside. - I have the same connectors on my '96 (which I cannot check for you because it is at the lake) but none of them should be capped and none are "optional"

alternatively, the dealership vacuum line and parts diagram below should be a great help

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 07-28-13 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-29-13, 05:52 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

If the title is correct and my memory serves me...it should to go the Power Steering Pump... unless you've already plugged yours off... and just didn't do it at the air breather....
Old 07-29-13, 07:59 AM
searcher68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much for the replies LScowboyLS and Legender. Believe it or not I did look up, and it's shown as a no connect on my crappy vacuum "diagram" sticker under the hood. Really!!

So, perhaps the PO took the power steering vacuum lines off rather than fixing them, or perhaps Lexus actually intended this particular car not to have the power steering vacuum lines (per their sticker). I doubt that they intended to leave a vacuum source open to suck air into the system though!

I would just like to get this hooked up correctly. The PS system is in need of a good flush & bleed due to being Noisy and slightly Rough to steer, so this is obviously something I'd like to correct asap, especially if I'm missing any parts.

So, if any of you would be willing to help further, a few quick Q's.....

Is the part that these 2 lines go to on the PS pump easy to see and access from under the car? (Part# 17630 in the above diagram.)

Would it be functional to just bypass this part and connect a single vacuum hose from the 3-way Tee to the front of the intake manifold, or would the PS system not be happy?

And, finally, if any of you care to enlighten me, what exactly is the function of vacuum in the power steering system anyway?

Thanks again for any assistance folks. It's greatly appreciated!
--Mike

Quick Reply: PS vacuum to intake fitting