LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newb with another 93 thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 08:38 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all fuses are tight and good and ya i was starting to think the light switch was the culprit aswell. closest junk yard has a 91 are the parts the same from 90-94? maybe ill get lucky and the 91 has not been raped of parts yet.

thinking i could hopefully grab the light switch, and a working antenna. maybe ill get super lucky and it will have working lcd's, and a AFM/sensor. uggggggggggggggggggggggg kicks self
Old 09-22-11, 08:45 PM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

Headlight switch is not the same. Do the tail lights work? LCD not the same. Antenna not the same. AF sensor is the same!

Whats wrong with the antenna? Probably easily fixed!
Replacement LCD is available without replacing module. I may have one in my attic. I will check.. I think I have a brand new complete module from a flood job back in the day....

Last edited by LEXTEK1; 09-22-11 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 07:17 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXTEK1
Your TPS may be out of adjustment! Your ECU may need a few caps. There is another surge related to excessive EGR. I can tell you how to fix it but you and Skull need to make the car the car runs right first. Or it does not make sense to go through it...
I know exactly what you mean about getting it to run right first by fixing the known bad parts.
I'm sending you a PM so I don't jack this thread.
Old 09-23-11, 08:48 AM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXTEK1
Headlight switch is not the same. Do the tail lights work? LCD not the same. Antenna not the same. AF sensor is the same!

Whats wrong with the antenna? Probably easily fixed!
Replacement LCD is available without replacing module. I may have one in my attic. I will check.. I think I have a brand new complete module from a flood job back in the day....
yes all other lights work. antenna apears to be some aftermarket replacement. doesnt go up and down, and does not tune in station very well even when i pulled it up.

are you talking about a complete a/c control module. that would be sweet.
Old 09-24-11, 12:12 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

Update: sort of. well got car back last night and you were right there scratching there heads. LOL all they had time to fix on Friday was the rear main seal. then they said they checked wires all good spark plugs all good.
said the AFM was not hooked up right. hehehe guess that means i didnt plug it all the way in. didnt ask them. they said bring it back next week to have the ABS and breaks looked at and so they can continue looking at why it keeps cutting out.

question though. a real close place has a 91. the AFM was gone of course but it apeared to have a ECU the dash was in tact. i grabed the what look like a working ashtray to swap with mine. so is the ECU compatible?? they said it is not.

heres a weird one. the a/c lcd is cleared up some and i can see all the numbers now? (clock and temp) still can see were it was blacked out so not new clear but clearer.
radios still mostly blacked out.

Last edited by SkulCracka; 09-24-11 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-24-11, 12:30 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

No the ECU from a 91 is NOT the same as a 93. You would need 93-94. There's also a difference between Fed. and Calif. I think the AFM would have been the same. Those are very hard to find in any pick & pull junkyards b/c the Supra guys use them alot.
Old 09-24-11, 12:38 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

well got a new ashtray LOL i pretty sure they are the same. to bad the a/c controllers are different that 91 had a perfect center a/c controller and a main cluster.

are the main clusters the same?

i hope lextek1 finds that module in his attic with the nakamitchi in it. that would be awsome.
Old 09-24-11, 06:49 PM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

Yea, that NAK a/c panel really blows!
Old 09-24-11, 06:51 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

guess there more difference in a 91 - 93 then i though. i knew it wouldnt work when i seen the plugs on the a/c controller. i was like ah mannnnnnnnnnnn. lol
Old 09-24-11, 06:55 PM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

Cluster is different too. For one is the digital odometer!
Old 09-26-11, 07:25 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

tried to pull codes but cant check engine light is not working i guess dont see it on acc or when cranking?

get to drop it back off wednesday. guess they can fix the light to get the codes.

guess i should order some t1.5 14v #73's with some caps for the cluster. ugg
Old 09-27-11, 02:12 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

Update: light cluster actualy started the blinking this morning. i did the cap cluster fix myself and it worked. YAY.......... will pull codes tonight and see what she says.

now i need to go back to were that 91 is and get all the bulbs i can. i want extras. delayed the drop off to the dealer till thursday. get this someone had electric tape over the check engine light. WTH uggggg................ but found a few more burned out that we not before i pulled it. so guess they were ready to go out anyway. since i was very carefull pulling it out.

all center console lights are working now as well.

Last edited by SkulCracka; 09-27-11 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-27-11, 10:36 PM
firefly
Driver School Candidate

where are you located? I had some of the problems that you are having.
Old 09-28-11, 08:02 AM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by firefly
where are you located? I had some of the problems that you are having.
Im in Orlando/Kissimmee area.
Old 09-29-11, 06:01 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

Update: They did a full tune up today and got rid of the ABS light. said it was a speed sensor. they wanted it for another day. still getting code 21 and 31.

should i still bother trying the ecm/ecu? or drop it back off and let them repair the o2 sensor and the afm?

Quick Reply: Newb with another 93 thread