LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Finally got around to installing the Megan's on my 90 LS. Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 01:47 PM
jdog0411
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally got around to installing the Megan's on my 90 LS. Few Questions

Sorry, no pictures yet, but I will take some soon and post them up.

Last weekend I finally had time to replace the factory air suspension in my 90 LS with Megan EZ Street Coilover's. I spent the majority of an entire day taking the old air struts out of the car and installing the Megan's, along with adjusting the ride height of the car and the damping of the shocks. I've done suspension work on this car before, and am pretty sure that I installed everything correctly.

The car is lowered in the back and rear, about 1.5" all around, but it's hard to tell because the car looked like it was "riding on stilts" before because the ride height was fairly high. I had about 4 inches of gap in the wheel well between the rear tires and the fender, and about 2'3" in front. Needless to say it looks a lot better now. I have 19" rims on it.

I'm very pleased with the difference in the look of the car, but my main reason for upgrading was to improve the handling of the car and decrease the significant body roll in turns. In addition, I wanted the increased reliability of a standard setup over the failure prone air system.

After driving on it for a week or so, I've got some questions. First of all, the Megan's didn't come with any type of rubber mount or anything on top of the metal flange where they bolt up to the shock mounts, front and rear. I noticed that the rear air struts have a rubber surface on top of the struts where they bolt up. The Megan's do not. I checked around and was told that the Megan's are installed as they come, with nothing else required and nothing needed to be transferred from the factory struts to the Megan's prior to installation. Is this correct? The reason I ask is that I hear subtle popping noises coming from the rear when I'm driving at speeds under 40 mph. I can't tell if it is coming from the Megan's or if it is another suspension component. The car rides a lot firmer than it did before, as is expected. I don't really hear any noises coming from the front suspension.

For background, I installed new Daizen sway bar bushings front and rear, along with Daizen Poly control arm bushings in the front upper and lower control arms a while back. I also installed new lower ball joints in the front (left and right). Could the popping be the sway bar links? They are original.

I don't hear any noises coming from the suspension at speeds over 40mph, even over relatively rough roads. It just becomes audible at lower speeds. It occurs when going straight, not just on turns, so I don't think it's CV joints.

Any insight on the install of the Megan's from other's who have done the install and what this noise could be would be appreciated.
Old 09-12-11, 02:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the poly control arm bushings are what are ruining the ride, megans with stock rubber bushings rides quite nicely depending on your wheel/tire setup.

the megans are solid pillowball mounts, so they do transmit a little more vibration than stock but sine these are double wishbone cars and not mcpherson strut it's not much at all.
Old 09-13-11, 01:27 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a little sound in the left rear going slow over rough pavement. It's almost like a bunch of marbles in a plastic container rolling around in my trunk. I have Megan LP's with about 50k on them.
Old 09-13-11, 11:55 AM
jdog0411
Rookie

that's about the way this sounds....these Megan's are brand new. I am traveling this week so I can't work on the car, but I'm going to start with tightening everything up and replacing the end links and go from there.
Old 09-13-11, 08:39 PM
AerialAce
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having this issue with my DGR's aswell, they're brand new and make a metallic noise sometimes going over steep pavement. Not always, but sometimes.
Old 09-13-11, 09:30 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Rear Trailing arm bushings? Rear Axle carrier? Front Strut Rod bushings? I dont get any of those sounds from mine. Everything tightened up right? Lock collars?