LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Which one should I get? Ls or GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 10:57 AM
nmikmik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one should I get? Ls or GS

Could be a wrong place to ask but I could not find any other place where I could ask this question. Moderator - please feel free to move.
I am currently driving a 2002 Volvo S60 T5, it has close to 100k on it and it's very much a fun car to drive. The problem is that I am feeling like an old guy (maybe I am - I am sure it depends on who you ask) with my back problems. I am a Realtor so I have to drive a lot, unfortunately my car is not very conducive to a long or frequent trips.
So I am thinking of replacing my car with a Lexus The question is, just like the title states, Which one? & no I unfortunately am not a mega million dollar agent so I can't afford anything I want, otherwise I will not be on this forum asking the silly questions
I recently drove a 99 GS400 that I kind of liked, not sure if that's the rite car for me though. I guess I got a little spoiled with the turbo in my T5, so I did not feel that GS has that v8 torque I was expecting to have. Maybe it was a bad "sample" . I do not consider myself to be a lead foot, so it was just a minute observation - that's all. So the question is which car would be considered softer smoother riding? GS or LS and how much harsher riding would be an SC? I am thinking if I get enough for my car, maybe I can afford to replace it with a 99GS or 2000LS or maybe 430 if I find a supper deal, miles don't scare me, the owners do
Old 03-28-11, 11:07 AM
fede08
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with LS 100% its Lexus flagship I'm telling you it is Lexus pursuit of perfection. When you ride LS all the other Lexus models seem out classed....
Old 03-28-11, 11:26 AM
fatcat2
Driver

I was in the same mind frame as you kind of, when i first came to this website i had my mind set on a GS. then i when snooping around and found the ls400 and fell in love. it took me a few months for the stars to align for me to get my ls400 but i have NEVER been so happy with a purchase before in my life.

here are my thoughts on an ls(taken i have never driven a gs).
Roomy, stylish, very well built(i mean its a lexus), very smooth ride, VERY QUIET(when the guy i bought it from was smoging it for me, he left it idling after he was done and i couldn't even tell the car was on). i love how you can see the hood of the car while you drive but it doesn't get in the way of your view. and i feel the acceleration pedal has just the right feel, you can have a soft foot if you want to or you can stomp on it if you want to get in front of that grandma driver. i went from an Infiniti g35 to this and even though they are fairly close to the same specs in weight and power, i still feel the ls400 feels like it has more power. maybe its just those extra decibels from the extra 2 cylinders. hope this helps you make your decision but im a +1 for an ls.
Old 03-28-11, 12:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Knowing your budget helps as well. During those years, both are very nice cars with the LS having a bit more interior space. If you are regularly driving your clients to prospective properties, the LS has more comfort. The GS handles better and overall is a sportier car.

At their ages now, you will likely have some repair to do on them and hopefully not major work. Interiors may be moderately worn as in dirty carpeting, scratched and or dye on the seats fading at high wear places. You are just at that edge of the '01 LS430 which I would recommend as a nicer car. The odds improve in finding nicer samples due to age.

Both the second gen LS and GS have similar issues in wearing suspension parts and if you option the V-8 similar mechanical issues as well. The stock 2JZ inline 6 a wonderful motor but in that car it might feel a bit weak.
Old 03-28-11, 06:48 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Default Thanks!

Thank you all for replies.
I guess I need to do some more driving and shopping. I have ridden, never driven the LS430, I liked it a lot, could be result of more modern looking/feeling interior.
Since I currently have, and pretty much drive all of them, a wide range of cars, this could be influencing how I feel about GS and LS in comparison.
I've driven an SC400 about 3 years ago and it felt as a harsher riding car, not sure it could have been lowered. In general are they comparable to LS400s? It just seems it's easier to find a low mileage SC than LS ???
Thanks again!
oh yea, one more question... I know it's not the miles that matter, but some cars develop more of the major issues at a certain mileage and I'd like to know what that is. So at what mileage on the LS400 you'd stop looking at them?

Last edited by nmikmik; 03-28-11 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-28-11, 08:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

At the time I was shopping, I was set on a '99 GS 300. None were available pre owned but there was a GS400 already lowered with wheels. I liked that car a lot after the drive. I went home, thought for a few hours then called back. It was gone 30 minutes after we'd left. Went back still looking for a GS but saw and LS, sales guy said just take it out for the heck of it. Wife liked it, end of story.

As for miles that is your comfort level regarding what you may be inclined to invest. Depends what the budget is. I would stop north of 125K miles with the better range being 80-100K miles. This will take some hunting thus the LS430's are easier targets. You'll likely get 5 good years or more out of it if all the regular maintenance has been done. (12-15K miles annually.) EOL is north of 180K miles if the car has had multiple owners. I don't want to consider the problems as we regularly see now in discussions.

The 430's have their own issues. So driving, reading here, will get you plenty of owner comments.
Old 03-28-11, 09:31 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Cool,
that sure makes sense.
Thanks!
Old 03-28-11, 09:32 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by nmikmik
Could be a wrong place to ask but I could not find any other place where I could ask this question. Moderator - please feel free to move.
I am currently driving a 2002 Volvo S60 T5, it has close to 100k on it and it's very much a fun car to drive. The problem is that I am feeling like an old guy (maybe I am - I am sure it depends on who you ask) with my back problems. I am a Realtor so I have to drive a lot, unfortunately my car is not very conducive to a long or frequent trips.
So I am thinking of replacing my car with a Lexus The question is, just like the title states, Which one? & no I unfortunately am not a mega million dollar agent so I can't afford anything I want, otherwise I will not be on this forum asking the silly questions
I recently drove a 99 GS400 that I kind of liked, not sure if that's the rite car for me though. I guess I got a little spoiled with the turbo in my T5, so I did not feel that GS has that v8 torque I was expecting to have. Maybe it was a bad "sample" . I do not consider myself to be a lead foot, so it was just a minute observation - that's all. So the question is which car would be considered softer smoother riding? GS or LS and how much harsher riding would be an SC? I am thinking if I get enough for my car, maybe I can afford to replace it with a 99GS or 2000LS or maybe 430 if I find a supper deal, miles don't scare me, the owners do
The LS all the way, it is the mercedes's sexy twin. Word of warning however, if you get one with higher miles be prepared to pay out your *** for repairs if you cant do it yourself. Parts can be found online for much cheaper, and you can always go to the mechanic which shouldnt be too bad. These are realiable cars but rubber bushings still do wear out which can cause thumps and groans until replaced. However mine with 200 000 miles andim just replacing bushings now that a "normal" car should have been replaced years ago to even make it driveable.
Old 03-29-11, 12:25 AM
celsiorlee
Driver School Candidate

GS are nice, LS is better its the flagship of lexus. i like my 99 LS because i like the long body style and the modern front end. thats just me...
Old 03-29-11, 09:00 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

My Doctor is a Lexus lover he has a '96 LS400, a newer GS, a newer LX470, and an '08 LS460

He says the newer GS doesn't even compare with the superior ride of the older '96 LS400

Also he says the '08 LS460 spoiled him for driving the '96 LS 400 but I didn;t really have to post that - its a given
Old 03-29-11, 12:01 PM
Wanderson
Rookie

Default Pillow top ride

I think ride quality is one of the LS400's biggest claims to fame, and one of the characteristics most auto mags complained about. Too much Cadillac and not enough BMW. I think the later cars got firmer and sportier. In the used market at over 100k miles I found most LS cars had been better maintained and 'adult driven' than GS cars, and although I really liked the styling of the GS I don't care for two door coupes, the rear seats are just too inconvenient to access for passengers or stuff. The LS seemed to have more cabin space up front as well. My wife summed it up best, she said the GS400 looked like a car that a bankrupt dot-com millionaire would have, the LS400 looks like a mafia accountant's car. She'd rather be a mafia wife.
Old 03-29-11, 01:29 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by Wanderson
I think ride quality is one of the LS400's biggest claims to fame, and one of the characteristics most auto mags complained about. Too much Cadillac and not enough BMW. I think the later cars got firmer and sportier. In the used market at over 100k miles I found most LS cars had been better maintained and 'adult driven' than GS cars, and although I really liked the styling of the GS I don't care for two door coupes, the rear seats are just too inconvenient to access for passengers or stuff. The LS seemed to have more cabin space up front as well. My wife summed it up best, she said the GS400 looked like a car that a bankrupt dot-com millionaire would have, the LS400 looks like a mafia accountant's car. She'd rather be a mafia wife.
This is true but not always the best. Im 19 but i maintain and take very good care of my LS, the previous owner who was in his 50's inherited the car from a 90 year old family friend. On the other side however, i would agree that you will have much better luck on an LS with proper maintanence and less owners since these cars are known as "old people cars", or so im told. "old people" generally buy a vehicle new and hold onto it for years. Nothing some limo tint, smoked tailights, smoked running lights doesnt fix though .

I run my tires at 30psi (lexus reccomended) for a softer ride plus i don't really care about handling. However, if you are that concerned about handling and aggressive driving, you can always get wider tires and fill to 33psi

Last edited by kuziwk; 03-29-11 at 01:32 PM.