LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

need help identifying this part

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 08:30 PM
lexfrmtx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help identifying this part

Hello everyone. I was changing the spark plugs on my car the other day and while removing the intake track, I broke the piece that goes to the two vacume tubes. I've been looking around for this part but i'm not sure what its called or if it has a seprate part number. If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. The piece is the one thats attactched to the cars throttle body. Since breaking this part the car has been throwing the codes: p100 and p110.

I tried fixing it with this but it just broke again.

I've been told that this part is not interchangable with other models; that it has to be off of a 95-97 ls400. Is this correct? If anyone is selling this part, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-14-11, 03:34 AM
ACLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part number should be 17875-50111 and only fits the 94-97 LS.

Andy
Old 01-14-11, 08:18 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Speaking based on my '91 ...

Those two smaller hoses go to the PS idle-up valve. Blocking them off kills the idle-up feature, which you may be able to live with. Search for that.

It may not be too hard to repair the connection of the bigger hose to the plastic part. (and I mention this since you already tried the epoxy - I know that some out there would not hesistate to buy a brand new part) Find a metal tube that fits snugly inside the bigger hose; then drill a hole in the plastic part so the other end of the metal tube will fit tight. Perhaps some sealant to help it hold vacuum. Make sure no shavings from the drill enter the plastic part. Alternatively, you may be able to find a plastic or brass vacuum fitting that is purpose made for this (tapping threads or using a grommet).

I had a similar problem on my '91: the side-connector for the PS idle-up line off the main connector snapped off. So the bigger hose was connected, but one of the smaller hoses was not. My fix was to get some 5/16" (?) hard brake line, cut a 1" section of it that fit tight in the idle-up line, and then drilled a hole in the plastic part that was a tight fit for the other end. Works perfectly and saved me from having to buy and R+R that big plastic piece.
Old 01-14-11, 10:16 PM
lexfrmtx
Driver School Candidate

Aclex - thank you for providing the part number. That will help tracking one down much easier.
Old 01-14-11, 10:24 PM
lexfrmtx
Driver School Candidate

Oldskewel - I did think of cutting off the broken part and trying to use metal tubinging attached to the plastic piece. I just wasn't sure if it would work or had been tried. I'd rather have a new piece but unfortunately I live in truck country. Finding parts for imports (and older ones) is difficult. I end up having to get them shipped from either coast. Fixing it was just a temp or alternative solution. I'll give your solution a go at it this weekend, if you have any photos I'd love to see them. And thanks for the advise.
Old 01-14-11, 10:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you really want to salvage that piece, you can drill out the broken nipple and install a metal one from your local auto parts store.
Old 01-15-11, 03:22 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

"I'd rather have a new piece but unfortunately I live in truck country. Finding parts for imports (and older ones) is difficult"
where are you?? many yards in the Dallas area, plus folks parting them out on craigslist.
Old 01-15-11, 09:20 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if you really want to salvage that piece, you can drill out the broken nipple and install a metal one from your local auto parts store.
Yes, that is the better solution if you can find the part. When mine broke, it was the smaller barb that tee's off the one you broke off, so a short piece of hard brake line was easily sufficient.

Drilling the hole just big enough that it's a press-fit is what you want. The metal tube will then remain permanently in the plastic piece and when you need to remove it, the hose comes off the tube.
Old 01-18-11, 11:55 AM
lexfrmtx
Driver School Candidate

billydpwe - I live in Odessa. I'm about 5 hours from any major city (El Paso, Austin, Dallas). I'm actually going to Dallas next month, so I'll be seeing if I can locate a piece. Were I live there is only one "import" salvage yard but they carry the most basic of cars: toyotas, and hondas.
Old 01-18-11, 04:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

use car-part.com to locate parts in yards near you