LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS Cigarette Lighter Fix (Tutorial)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 11:34 PM
bauceLS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tried to do the fix but i kept blowing a fuse. in the end I just went to the junk yard and bought the cig lighter for 2 bucks.
Old 03-24-13, 12:54 PM
BippuJRo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the same nut back in and it worked like a charm for me. Thanks a lot for the tutorial
Old 09-15-13, 10:10 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Does anyone know the name of this washer, and what it's purpose is? Maybe it is designed to prevent a particular surge from burning out the whole fuse panel? If it is there, it must serve some purpose.
Old 09-15-13, 10:19 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

the cigarette lighter mini fuselink is troublesome and redundant, there is a cigarette lighter fuse in the kick panel, I removed the fuselink and put the cigarette lighter socket back together over a year ago and smooth sailing ever since!

just a little ridiculous over-engineering by Toyota, that came back to bite them in this case. If you are mechanically and electrically inclined, then how to re-engineer it becomes obvious once you have it apart!
Old 09-16-13, 02:14 AM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
just a little ridiculous over-engineering by Toyota, that came back to bite them in this case. If you are mechanically and electrically inclined, then how to re-engineer it becomes obvious once you have it apart!
It may be OK to remove the fusible link at the cigarette lighter socket for a person like you, Cowboy as long as you do it at your own risk.

I don't think it's ridiculous to use the extra heat sensitive part as a fusible link behind the cigarette lighter socket. It is not fully over engineered by Toyota, I must say. But I say it wood be better to use a newer part which returns to conductive again when cooled down.

We circuit designers have to be very careful against the fire hazards. Please remember that the part at the socket is open by the excess heat. It is checking the heat. It's not often the case but there may be some possibility that the cigarette lighter does not pop up although it is heated enough and the current is not stopped. What will happen in a case like that?

The continuously running current generates heat more and more. The accumulated heat may burn the socket or the whole console or even more because the fuse located away from it has no idea to open since the current is not exceeded.

There may be also some people who are not like you and are ignorant enough to cause a fire hazardous problem jiggling the cigarette lighter socket inserting something unusual.
Old 09-16-13, 02:37 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I still say over-engineering, and not engineered using a fail-safe part, as this part is trouble prone. It caused me to be unable to charge my cell phone and therefore unable to communicate in case of a real emergency, and not having a phone is a much higher safety risk than a million to one chance of a car fire in the 12V outlet.

I say over-engineered because I have been driving for almost 40 years, and had dozens of vehicles, and I have never had, nor ever heard of a case of anyone I have ever known having a car fire due to a 12V socket overheating. Not saying that it could never happen, but I suppose lightning could strike the car as well, but I don't see anyone driving around with a lightning arrestor on their car!

To me, the mini fuselink is redundant, on the rare occasion that I have overloaded the circuit concerning the cigarette lighter, the normal cig lighter fuse pops, end of hazard!

I would not mind having the fuselink as an extra safety feature, if it were reliable, but when these cars age, it is not reliable, just troublesome! - left me with a dead phone!
Old 09-16-13, 07:28 AM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Default A YouTube Video Showing The Procedure

Hey, I found this video on YouTube.

Old 09-16-13, 10:40 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

that video definitely pinpoints that little bastard fuselink!

I removed the insulator washer, like he did in the video - my 12V socket has been great ever since!
Old 01-08-14, 01:31 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Bizump. Just did this to a LS I just picked up and now it works!
Old 01-08-14, 05:16 PM
Michael
Driver

Default Rear Lighter Fixed

Thanks Legionofon and everyone else for the tip. My rear cigarette lighter or should I say an external power source is now working. I haven't been able to use the rear outlet for so long. I do not even remember what caused it but it is fixed now.

Last edited by Michael; 01-10-14 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 08:49 AM
ChileDawg
Driver School Candidate

I have a similar issue that is not quite the same on my 2000 ls400. The circuit that the cigarette lighter is on blows the fuse when the ignition is turned on. I've check for the fabric washer fuse behind the nut at the base of the lighter, there is none there. Anyone have experience with this issue?? Thanks!
Old 04-11-14, 02:49 PM
ChileDawg
Driver School Candidate

check the above post. The video above was immensely helpful (thanks EmpPenguin for posting that!). The fabric washer was there, just not where i thought it would be but virtually the exact same design as the toyota camry in the video. Apparently that fuseable link was causing the short in the circuit and blowing the fuse. Now all seems to be working, including the port in the console. Again, thanks to all who contributed!
Old 10-11-15, 01:54 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Does anyone know what the amp rating is for the fusible link?
The following users liked this post:
thebigdog (11-25-19)
Old 10-11-15, 04:32 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

As far as I know what is specified is the temperature rating not the current rating. I don't remember the exact value of it but it works to stop the current when the temperature reaches to certain degrees which is a bit below the plastic starts to melt.

Come to think of it, the current is already limited by the fuse which is located closer to the DC source and you don't need to use another one in series with it at near the end but in order to avoid the risk of fire hazards, the device is used. So that is important to exist. That's the way Toyota designs products.
Old 10-11-15, 07:43 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah but I suppose to fix it costs $50 or more for a new unit when that little link is only a .50 cent item if that.
How many other makes of cars use that sort of thing? In the old days if plastic was used it was something like Bakelite that was used and is very heat resistant, I don't think it will melt.

Quick Reply: LS Cigarette Lighter Fix (Tutorial)