LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rod Millen Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-02, 02:26 AM
mksaudio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod Millen Intake

Has anyone put an intake(like Rod Millen) on their 1st gen LS400? And if so what did it do for performance? I need some advice on doing a few things to make my ls faster. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-08-02, 04:19 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

ANYONE interested in changing their air intake NEEDS to read through Petes Soarer site http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/

This guy tested a BUNCH of intakes on his V8 Soarer (SC400) and ultimately built his own BFI (Big F'n Intake) with VERY surprising results. Some nice looking parts did not perform and the homemade setup worked best by a LARGE margin. Read the Intake test and the BFI link. Heck read the whole page. Has pictures and sounds and testing on intake, exhaust, and more. Very, very good info.
Old 05-08-02, 05:42 AM
crsow
Rookie

Default power good

I built my on intake and noticed a huge difference
Old 05-08-02, 08:00 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

crsow,

How did you make your own? Did you follow Petes advice on his BFI? http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/BFIDIY.html If you did I believe you. He picked up 17hp.

When you say huge difference... how do you define that? Did you measure anything (time, speed, track) before and after? Most people will feel like a car is faster if it makes more noise. An open air filter makes more noise but if breathing hot underhood air it will make LESS power. I am not saying this is your situation... just curious to what you have done.
Old 05-09-02, 06:31 AM
crsow
Rookie

Default kinda

I left the factory induction plastic on the the car so I am getting just as much cold air as I was before. As far as judging any gain I didn't do it for the purpose of speed, it was more of the idea of if I could do it. I know that it has more power, due to the fact that with four people in it with 20" rims on it (45 lbs each) and the system, it still maneged to out run a honda prelude on nitrous, intake, exhust, headers, dohc vtec.

All I have is a custom intake and custom exhust.

It works.
I like it.
Try it out.
Old 05-09-02, 01:31 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any pics?
Old 05-09-02, 01:34 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

If you built your own intake system and used a K&N filter. It'd be a good intake right?

I dont understand why Rodmillen Intakes aren't very good when the whole kit is just a bracket and a K&N filter.