LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-11, 10:49 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

it's like Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde, your not entirely sure what your going to get
Life is like a box of chocolates.
That racist lady in your neighborhood (European neighborhood), maybe "your a peein" on her front door would be good. I hate racists.
Maybe the serp belt tore up b/c the alternator isn't tight, the front nut is missing. At least the door handle looks good though. Even though I'm a "stock" guy I like seeing these updates. You'll get it 100% one of these days if ya keep at it. Good work.
Old 06-13-12, 07:20 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing back a thread from the dead. It has been almost an entire year since I've posted on here, which in reality, is probably how long it's been since done anything on this thing since I have 4 other projects/builds going simultaneously. I decided that this thing has sat around long enough and is either going to be fixed or sold, and since I've put so much time into it, it's hard to not complete such a cool project and couldn't let my Megasquirt go to waste. I had to put this build on the back burner for a while, due to a miss under boost, a power steering leak, and the serp belt fiasco.

So I started with the serp belt, so I could drive it for an extended period of time. I first started out with a 1080mm belt, and since it was such a tight fit, it took the better part of an hour to try to coax it on the pulleys. With a minute, the downpipe was so hot it melted the belt, as seen in the previous pictures. So I tried wrapping the downpipe, to little avail, it lasted 2-3 minutes, eventually came off in pieces. So I double wrapped the downpipe, and wrapped all of the headers and was able to keep a serp belt on without demolishing it. However I wasn't able to fit a 1080mm belt any longer, so I had to get a 1085mm belt. Needless to say, it was too loose and was slipping. So back to the junkyard I went to find a slightly larger pulley. What I found was a pulley from a 96' Accord, which also used a Denso unit, but had a slightly larger pulley. The first pulley is the smallest and from an older Camry, the middle one is the OE LS400 pulley, and the largest one is from the 96' Accord. They all have the same ribs, the same depth, just different diameters.

The end result is a tight fitting belt, that can't be removed/install in less than a minute, and it doesn't melt or shred.

The next thing was to figure out the miss before I moved onto Megasquirt. It didn't take very long before I started poking around and found the right cam sensor connector was badly damaged, and my repair during the rebuild didn't last more than a year or so. So I cut it out, crimped in new connectors, and problem solved, no more miss.

Now that it's running and driving, I decided to move it to the next phase to switch over to the Megasquirt 3, and start learning how to tune it, then eventually switch over to E85 with switchable maps. The first step was to build my MS3 harness.

On to the vehicle wiring, which was pretty easy when you've done your homework and have the right information and tools. Since I'm focused on just switch over from the OE ECU to MS3, I'm keep the factory crank and cam triggers until I get a better understanding of it, than I'll progress onto sequential spark and injection using coil-over-plugs and 440cc or 30# injectors, but that's for another day...

Hopefully, I will have a update a little sooner this time, thanks for coming by.
Old 06-15-12, 03:50 PM
94ncls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for a $400 Lexus, thats fricking awesome!
Old 06-30-12, 07:56 PM
cantdrive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Update. For the longest I've been dreading rear brakes on it. I broke off a bleeder last year, and just parked it. Now I have new front and rear calipers/pads, and cleaned up the old rotors of surface rust.
Broken bleeder, seized piston, crusty slides.

My brake fluid, same color as PB Blaster.

For those who don't know, there's a special tool for this and it's not a screwdriver.

An impact driver, a Phillips head bit, and a hammer.

2 hits of the hammer and it was loose.

I decided I'm not going to run an E-brake for now and the shoes literally fell off.

Now I just need to bleed my brakes.

I need to finish the PS resv/feed line, downpipe and lower radiator hose conundrum, and swap tires. I'd like to have it ready for Cars and Coffee in two weeks.
is that rotor made from stone?
Old 07-16-12, 08:18 AM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anymore updates on this? I love low budget DIY builds. Great job!
Old 01-04-13, 10:51 PM
nismo4life
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great way to spend 3 hours.