LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'98 LS400 new owner - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 09:42 AM
selkirk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 LS400 new owner - a few questions

Hi there! After much searching we have been blessed with a terrific LS400. We ended up with a '98 from Texas - per Carfax and Lexus, it had one owner before us. The previous owner put 81k miles on it and was up to date with service according to the Lexus info system - apart from a timing belt (etc.) which I'll be doing this coming summer.

First impression: wow, what an absolutely amazing car. Comfort, style, and power too. I know some people here aren't very impressed with the factory stereo but I have to say it's a big step up from what I'm used to, and it all works - even the tape deck (which was always the first thing to go on cars we'd owned in the past). It's so posh: power lumbar supports? Wow.

Anyway, a few questions.

1. I saw the thread here about various seat cleaners, but I wasn't sure exactly how to apply the advice there to my LS - given that a few posters mentioned the later-model GS series having leather that was apparently rather difficult to treat. Did the LS and GS use the same leather? It looks like Leatherique, Lexus brand cleaner, and diluted Woolite all received good reviews. My seats certainly aren't filthy, but I'd like to clean and soften up the leather a bit when the weather warms up.

2. My "low washer fluid level" warning has failed and from reading other posts, it sounds like the problem is that the float has stopped floating. I'm pretty busy at the moment and don't yet have a service manual; is it possible to disconnect the sensor temporarily without pulling the fender liner? Also, is it cost-effective to find the leak in the sensor and reseal it or is it best to replace the unit?

3. The headlight buzzer on my LS does not currently come on when I turn the car off with the lights turned on; looking through the "settable options" the factory default is no buzzer. I often come home from work at dusk, and almost drained the battery once already - I thought the lights turn off automatically but perhaps I'm wrong? I don't think the battery is the problem, because I jumped it from a spare battery that we had, and it's held a charge without a problem ever since. I know the light switch was on, the time that the battery drained.

4. The PRNDL choices near the gearshift don't light up at night. Is there a bulb down there that burns out? Or are these simply not supposed to light up?

5. Does Toyota sell replacement wheel lock keys? Or should I just go with aftermarket locks? The used car shop that sold me the car replaced the tires with Chinese "Goodride" tires (and the previous set had 10k and 20k miles according to the Lexus history, DOH!) I had these replaced with Bridgestones immediately and the tire shop pointed out there were only 4 lug nuts on each wheel - so that's why there were four security nuts in the trunk. (sigh...)

6. Any way to find out what options my car has? I don't have the air suspension, the in-dash nav, or the Nakamichi; I do have the HID lights, the power seatbelt height adjusters, and floor mats (which showed up on someone else's window sticker as an option). Wheel locks used to be present - see above. Any other options in '98?

Thanks in advance - the archives here have already taught me a lot about this incredible car. Looking forward to some Lexus cruising!
Old 02-28-09, 12:10 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

You can probably figure out what options your car has by looking here: http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1998/1998LSspecs.pdf

Opinions may vary but I don't think it is possible or desirable to "soften up leather". Leather treatments affect only the leather surface when used correctly. You don't want to drench leather to the point that the moisture of the treatment permeates the leather. I have long used Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner from a saddle shop - treating the leather once or twice a year is plenty. IMO, the best way to preserve the interior is to park inside, tint the windows and use a windshield sun shield.

Yes, the PRNDL on the console should light up -- don't know how many bulbs but there may be a tutorial on this forum.

Like on most Toyota products, it is necessary to pull the fender liner to get the the windshield washer reservoir, washer pump, etc.

Do you really need wheel locks? Who wants to steal wheels off an 11 year old car? There are plenty of Internet sources for lug nuts.

Yes, your headlights should turn off automatically. The headlight switch may have to be in the "Auto" position -- I've never tried a different switch setting. Per the LPS options there are four settings: Off with the driver door opening, 30 sec, 60, sec and 90 sec delay. The default is a 30 second delay.

Last edited by Kansas; 02-28-09 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-28-09, 12:47 PM
qewani1
Lead Lap

3. The headlight buzzer on my LS does not currently come on when I turn the car off with the lights turned on; looking through the "settable options" the factory default is no buzzer. I often come home from work at dusk, and almost drained the battery once already - I thought the lights turn off automatically but perhaps I'm wrong? I don't think the battery is the problem, because I jumped it from a spare battery that we had, and it's held a charge without a problem ever since. I know the light switch was on, the time that the battery drained.
Twice click quikly the door lock on your remote key will turn off all the lights.

You can also turn on the LIGHT REMIND buzzer by using LEXUS Diagnostic Tester to change the C best options including other options also check attached file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CHNAGE-CBEST OPTIONS.pdf (43.8 KB, 333 views)
Old 03-08-09, 10:27 AM
selkirk
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kansas
You can probably figure out what options your car has by looking here: http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1998/1998LSspecs.pdf
Thanks! So it has the CD changer, the HID lights, and the moonroof.

Opinions may vary but I don't think it is possible or desirable to "soften up leather".
Well, I'm certainly not UNhappy with it the way it is. I'm just trying to decide whether Leatherique is worth the extra $30 over what the dealer sells. I know the newer LS's are said to have a semi-aniline leather that takes leather conditioners well; do the older LS's use the same type or is it more of a conventional (coated) leather?

Yes, the PRNDL on the console should light up -- don't know how many bulbs but there may be a tutorial on this forum.
Took a quick peek and didn't see it, but no sweat. When I get a manual I'll take care of it.

Like on most Toyota products, it is necessary to pull the fender liner to get the the windshield washer reservoir, washer pump, etc.
Oddly this seems to have taken care of itself... weird. The sprayer wasn't working when the weather turned cold - wonder if some goofball put water in it instead of washer fluid, while it was in Texas?

Do you really need wheel locks? Who wants to steal wheels off an 11 year old car? There are plenty of Internet sources for lug nuts.
Yeah, 10-4. FWIW my indie shop tells me that Lexus lugnuts are actually a different part number from Toyota lugnuts due to the presence of a captive washer (a washer that can't be removed from the nut). Either way I'm back to 5 lugnuts per wheel.

Thanks for the help BTW!
Old 02-09-10, 03:53 PM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i am also in the market of a 98/99 LS, wonder how much you get yours for.
what color? chrome wheels?