LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How many Hours needed for a '98 timing belt service?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 11:21 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many Hours needed for a '98 timing belt service?

Hey guys any idea about how long it takes for an experienced Lexus mechanics to perform a '98 LS400 timing belts service, you know the whole thing like replacing the timing belt, water pump, pulley etc. Thank you for any input.
Old 07-03-08, 12:48 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I picked mine up after 6 hours from a private shop. Some may be a bit faster or slower and the dealer will provide a loaner for the day.
Old 07-03-08, 01:19 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a quote of $2,200.00 from dealer today that is why I wonder how long it takes to do the timing belt service. They mention they will do the valve cover too. Oil has been dripping from the valve cover to the exhaust ; is this normal? Does it help if I tighten the head cover bolts ? Thank you.
Old 07-03-08, 02:50 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

We have some fellow HI members here...
Perhaps a search or post for recommended shops in this section may turn up some independent shops.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pacific-25/

Cost varies, I paid just a tick over $1K for the usual service: belt, seals, water pump, cap, rotors, wires... The dealer will be high. Dealer service often suggests additional things to replace, some may be necessary while others aren't. If you can verify the leaking valve gasket and snugging up the covers doesn't help, easy to have it done at the same time.

The dealer will allow for additional time so depending when you schedule your drop-off, the earlier the better to get the car back same day. Otherwise, enjoy the RX or ES loaner.
Old 07-03-08, 11:01 PM
UofACATS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexie
I got a quote of $2,200.00 from dealer today that is why I wonder how long it takes to do the timing belt service.
If your talking about the cost, the actual time it takes will not coincide with the hours the charge you.

You can ask them, you're paying for the service and the guy is a service adviser, he is used to all types of these questions and should be happy to explain hours/charge. Actually, it's his job to make sure you understand every part of the transaction, that you know what you're paying for.
Old 07-13-08, 02:21 PM
Bots32
Driver School Candidate

Default Timing belt etc. questions

While you are on the subject of timing belts, I just want to make sure I am being told the correct information for repairs to my 1997 LS400. I have 212K miles. I bought it at 95K miles. I have never changed the timing belt. I know that I have an interference motor and I'm on borrowed time. Is it really necessary to change the water pump, idler pulley and timing belt tensioner? I know in the long run it will save me on labor since they are up there anyway, but are there any symptoms I would notice if these are needing to be replaced? I take it in tomorrow eve. Hope for a reply soon. Thank you.
Old 07-13-08, 02:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

well unless you are just trying to cheap out there's no reason to NOT change these, if the idle pulley and timing belt tensioner give out then your done since it is an interference motor.

and the water pumps HAVE been known to give out on occasion but it doesnt cause engine damage unless you let the car overheat.
Old 07-13-08, 09:16 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

My local mechanic quoted 250 for belt change/waterpump. What do you guys think of that?

I was going to buy the TB from the Lexus dealer.

Water pump-should be bought at dealer or autozone/pepboys?

Idle pulley and timing belt tensioner-should be bought at lexus dealer or autozone/pepboys?

Any ideas on the price of these above parts?
Old 07-13-08, 10:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

buy it all from the dealer, this is one of those things that you do NOT wanna take a risk at all of anything breaking, the 95+ LS have interference motors so if something seizes....

the price is damn good, but make sure it includes changing all the cam seals and such...
Old 07-14-08, 07:01 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
buy it all from the dealer, this is one of those things that you do NOT wanna take a risk at all of anything breaking, the 95+ LS have interference motors so if something seizes....

the price is damn good, but make sure it includes changing all the cam seals and such...
"friend price"

Yup ordering everything from Irontoad
Old 07-14-08, 10:21 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
My local mechanic quoted 250 for belt change/waterpump. What do you guys think of that?

I was going to buy the TB from the Lexus dealer.

Water pump-should be bought at dealer or autozone/pepboys?

Idle pulley and timing belt tensioner-should be bought at lexus dealer or autozone/pepboys?

Any ideas on the price of these above parts?
All parts should be OEM Toyota - you can get away with aftermarket drive belts and hoses from Goodyear, Gates, and Dayco - Dayco is Toyota's OEM for US/Canadian made cars. If you can find the OEM suppliers for the parts, you can save a bit as well - Aisin makes the water pump, NSK/Koyo makes the idler pulleys, NTN supplies the tensioner, and Mitsuboshi/Unitta makes the timing belt, you may be able to find a Unitta-sourced timing belt from Gates.
Old 07-14-08, 10:23 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nthach
All parts should be OEM Toyota - you can get away with aftermarket drive belts and hoses from Goodyear, Gates, and Dayco - Dayco is Toyota's OEM for US/Canadian made cars. If you can find the OEM suppliers for the parts, you can save a bit as well - Aisin makes the water pump, NSK/Koyo makes the idler pulleys, NTN supplies the tensioner, and Mitsuboshi/Unitta makes the timing belt, you may be able to find a Unitta-sourced timing belt from Gates.

Just bought rear pads, all timing belt WP stuff, all plugs, rotors, drive belt. idler pully/tensioner, front hood struts, everything OEM from Lexus dealer. 900$. WIll be here next week.
Old 07-15-08, 05:02 PM
UofACATS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bots32
Is it really necessary to change the water pump, idler pulley and timing belt tensioner?
No. But not changing them now would be a costly mistake. One of these will fail before it's time for your next timing belt job, meaning more money spent on labor.

Originally Posted by Bots32
are there any symptoms I would notice if these are needing to be replaced?
Yes. Spin the idler in your hand. Hear that noise? That means replace it. The shop should show you the parts they are replacing and explain why they are replacing them. If not, ask.

Look at the water pump. Not leaking and looks good, right? Well it will start leaking right after you choose not to replace it and your car is back on the road. Then you will take it back to have the pump replaced for a large amount of money.

Preventive maintenance. In this circumstance, it's a good idea.