LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Will aftermaket Remotestart/alarm--make factory system not work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 05:54 AM
marlon90LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will aftermaket Remotestart/alarm--make factory system not work?

Hi, for a while I was thinking about installing an aftermarket remotestart/alarm/keyless-system in my 90' LS 400 which I just did yesterday.....I'll be posting pictures soon! However, before I post the pictures and mark this project as "done" in my to do list. I have a quick question for those of you who have a similar system installed in your car.

Everything works with the new system------remote start--keyless entry (lock/unlock)--remote trunk opener---and all other sensors. I always thought that if you installed a system like this the factory anti-theft system would still work and only de-activate when you remotely start the car but in my car it does not work. I mean, it does not matter much to me because the new alarm works great and protects everything, but I want to make sure I did things right. I think that if I connected anything wrong things would not work right with the new alarm so I am pretty happy with the way it turned out but........COULD YOU TELL ME IF THE FACTORY ANTI-THEFT SYTEM IN YOUR CAR STILL ACTIVATES (LIGHT ON THE DASH COMES ON).......AFTER YOU HAD NEW ALARM SYSTEM/REMOTE STARTER INSTALLED IN YOUR CAR??
Old 01-10-08, 08:32 AM
LRP_LS400
Pole Position

I have a DEI remote start alarm and the factory alarm doesn't activate anymore unless you "arm" it with the factory alarm button on the master key.
Old 01-10-08, 09:01 AM
marlon90LS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot....that answer is good enough for me!

I bought the car with an aftermarket key because they had lost the original ones so I don't know if the factory alarm will "arm" with the press of the key or not since I never had one but I guess it does not matter anymore.

I unpluged the new alarm and reset the factory anti-theft by disconecting the battery and pluging it back in again and the factory alarm does work. So, I guess I did not damaged anything and the factory alarm just get de-activated when using the new alarm system.

I will just put the underdash back on and call this project done!

I'll post some pictures of this project soon!

BTW---I like the look on your brake light....did you do it yourself? I did one myself for my brake light and it looks pretty good.

Last edited by marlon90LS; 01-10-08 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-10-08, 09:41 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is an "arm" wire located in the wire bundle that comes from the driver's side door into the cabin. Also a "disarm" wire--this allows you to integrate into any aftermarket/alarm that offers factory arm/disarm triggers...most DEI's should have this feature.
Old 01-10-08, 09:59 AM
marlon90LS
Driver School Candidate

Mine does not offer a "arm" feature only the "disarm" one.....but I was gonna install a "starter/keyless only" system to my car and it did have the factory "arm" and "disarm" feature, but I chose to install this other system that has a lot more alarm features. I guess I don't really need two alarms.
Old 01-10-08, 11:04 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a DEI (Clifford Matrix 50.5x) installed in my 94 LS400. The factory alarm still works, here's how I set it up:

If you turn off the remote key switch which is next to the steering wheel, then when you "lock" the car from your DEI remote, the factory alarm will arm automatically (it arm's by locking all the doors), AND your DEI alarm will arm.

Now, if you press remote start WITHOUT unlocking your doors first, your factory alarm will set off and the car won't start until you disarm the factory alarm.

So what I do is: unlock, remote start, lock, and then both alarms are on.

Also note that when the car is locked, your trunk release button won't work.

What I do now is I just keep my trunk release that's next to the steering wheel locked at all times, and then I use my remote to open the trunk. That way if someone breaks into my car,there is no way they'll get to my amps and such that I keep in the trunk
Old 01-10-08, 02:13 PM
LRP_LS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Suneet
I have a DEI (Clifford Matrix 50.5x) installed in my 94 LS400.
I have the same alarm on my 92 LS4. kinda hope I would have waited for the new Clifford with the color screen though.
Old 01-10-08, 05:19 PM
Geremology101
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an Avital Avistart 2-way remote starter system in my '98 LS and the factory alarm still works-- I can arm and disarm from either the factory key remote or the remote starter 2-way remote.

If I arm from the factory remote then the Avital system will arm the system after 30 seconds. If I arm from the Avital remote then the factory system will arm after 30 seconds or so. However, I can only disarm both systems with the Avital remote.

However, I had a crimestoppers remote start system and it did not work with the factory system.
Old 01-11-08, 01:14 AM
marlon90LS
Driver School Candidate

Ok...after a lot of wire testing and trying different configurations I managed to figure out a way to use my "new" remotestart/alarm by itself without the factory alarm (the way I had wired the door lock/unlock originally) and I way to use both alarm systems together by unpluging and rewiring the alarm/remotestart's "lock" wire For more details and "PICTURES" of my first alarm install, please visit.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...opic=44049&hl=

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!!

SUNEET! AFTER SOME RESEARCH I FOUND OUT THAT YOUR ALARM SYSTEM IS NOT WIRED RIGHT.... IT SEEMS THAT THE "DISARM" WIRE FROM YOU AFTERMARKET ALARM IS "NOT" INSTALLED OR IT WAS "NOT" INSTALLED PROPERLY! IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CONNECTED TO THE FACTORY ALARM'S "DISARM" WIRE. THIS WIRE WILL TEST AS A "UNLOCK" WHEN UNLOKING THE DOOR WITH THE KEY. YOU SHOULD TAKE IT BACK AND GET THE "DISARM" WIRE CHECKED AND SEE WHERE IT IS CONNECTED TO IF CONNECTED AT ALL. THAT'S JUST WHAT I WOULD DO.

Last edited by marlon90LS; 01-11-08 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-24-08, 07:52 AM
motionbleu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a python remote start/alarm installed. he wired everything together so factory alarm still works also but its armed only with remote not the master key. so when the alrm goes on the the horn beeps pretty fast which is unique cuz of both alarms going of at same time.