LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Check Engine Light Code 71

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 09:58 PM
92LS1uzfe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to check egr system

Check the egr valve by applying a vacuum to top part of egr valve the car must be warmed up and hot before you do this. Use a hand held pump with a gauge that shows u you are in a vaccuum.The car should stumble and stall out this will let you know the pinto inside is working. If it doesn't stall out the pinto is stuck and should be cleaned.

The next thing would be to check your vacuum modulator this has the letters p q and r on top of it remote the cap. I took mines out and blew through the bottom. You shouldn't be able to blow air through the bottom if you feel air going through bottom to top then the diaphragm inside the modulator is ripped or open. That's what happened to mine.

To check your vsv or vacuum switching valve remove it and attach alligator clip wires and apply 12 volts to it. If u hear a click then your solenoids are good. If not then its probably bad. The temp sensor should read 200 something at room temperature and to check it use a small pan of vegetable oil with a thermometer that can read up to 300 degrees farenheit. Attach alligator wires to the sensor and check for ohms. The higher the temperature the lower your ohm reading. At 300 degrees it should read 2 to 4 ohms. Hope this helps.....peace
The following users liked this post:
classik90s (11-29-18)
Old 07-14-16, 06:56 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

good post 92Ls1uzfe
Old 05-13-18, 09:39 AM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Default Giving Credit...

Originally Posted by 92LS1uzfe
Check the egr valve by applying a vacuum to top part of egr valve the car must be warmed up and hot before you do this. Use a hand held pump with a gauge that shows u you are in a vaccuum.The car should stumble and stall out this will let you know the pinto inside is working. If it doesn't stall out the pinto is stuck and should be cleaned.

The next thing would be to check your vacuum modulator this has the letters p q and r on top of it remote the cap. I took mines out and blew through the bottom. You shouldn't be able to blow air through the bottom if you feel air going through bottom to top then the diaphragm inside the modulator is ripped or open. That's what happened to mine.

To check your vsv or vacuum switching valve remove it and attach alligator clip wires and apply 12 volts to it. If u hear a click then your solenoids are good. If not then its probably bad. The temp sensor should read 200 something at room temperature and to check it use a small pan of vegetable oil with a thermometer that can read up to 300 degrees farenheit. Attach alligator wires to the sensor and check for ohms. The higher the temperature the lower your ohm reading. At 300 degrees it should read 2 to 4 ohms. Hope this helps.....peace
Had to bump this one just because it's never a bad thing to show others how to correctly check their codes. This post was a great explanation in everyday language what ALLDATA diagrams tells you to do for code 71. Their system is great but not perfect. If you aren't sure what they're telling you it could easily be misunderstood. I'm dealing with this issue as well as code 12... If anyone has any advice for where is the BEST PLACE TO START FROM PAST EXPERIENCE i would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I'm just going to go through it all as ALLDATA says. I ask because this forum has been great because these cars have a pattern like anything and I've learned to listen to you guys because you've been there. So this is my big THANKS and shoutout to all of those that came before me and cared enough about their fellow man and woman as well as the reputation and the Lexus vehicles themselves to post their experiences, often very detailed and time consuming just posting alone, not to mention the time figuring out the correct way to go about diagnosing and fixing their vehicle's issues... So THANK YOU GUYS ALL SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING YOU PUT INTO MAKING THIS SITE TRULY THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF LEXUS VEHICLES!!! You all kick *** for what you do!

Sincerely...
Deaner
The following users liked this post:
spuds (05-14-18)
Old 01-04-22, 01:21 PM
92LS1uzfe
Driver School Candidate

Default Code 71 EGR

Originally Posted by skytrain4
I have a ‘92 Lexus LS400 with 146,000 miles on it now. It runs great. I maintain it and am generally pleased with it. I keep eyeing the LS430, but having a car that is paid off trumps an LS 430 everytime.

My CEL started coming on last week. It is intermittent. It comes on for 50 miles or so, then goes off for about the same distance. I pulled the code and it is Code 71, which is ‘EGR System.’ I have scanned this forum and found other people with Code 71 issues, but no clear repair results.

I removed the EGR valve and EGR vacuum modulator and inspected them for build up of any kind. I cleaned all EGR related parts with intake manifold cleaner, though they didn’t look dirty. I blew clean air through them. I replaced the little filter in the top of the EGR vacuum modulator. I checked for air leaks in the vacuum lines. Nothing. The CEL continues to come on and later go off randomly.

I see from this forum that the parts in the EGR system include the EGR valve, EGR Vacuum Modulator, VCV, VSV, and EGR Temp Sensor. I’ve read that the EGR valve never goes bad. I certainly don’t want to randomly change these parts one at a time. Based on what I’ve written, what would be the first part to replace?
You would have to replace the EGR sensor (take a picture of where all the vacuum lines go before taking apart). In order to get to the sensor the egr valve will have to be removed. While the EGR is out you can get some intake throttle cleaner and clean it also you can test it and see if the valve moves up and down. If all good after removing the valve then remove the mounting plate attached to intake plenum be careful as the wire to the sensor is right their below. Depress the sides and pull apart (you can check the resistance of the sensor and see if the sensor is good or bad ...personally I just replaced mines cause it’s almost 30 years old). Be careful it will probably be brittle. Most of the nuts and bolts are 12mm. The sensor was an awkward size and had to use a Vice and a crescent to break it loose be careful with the aluminum plate and inspect the metal gaskets for any damage. After replacing my EGR sensor the light went away and car ran much better and started up faster.