LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Starter Repalcement

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 03:56 PM
wmbyrd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Starter Repalcement

Hello All:

I have a 2000 LS400. Greatest Car on earth...Love it! I had absolutely no problem until my starter went out. So...I researched exactly how to replace my starter: I disconnected all of the hoses, wiring harnesses/connectors, air intake and inlet units, Throttle body and removed the intake manifold assembly. I see the starter...It's right under the manifold assembly!!! .

But, I cant get to the screws on the back of the darn thing (toward the dash).

Why? because I cannot move the rear water bypass joint (RWBJ). The RWBJ is under the engine wiring plastic housing unit (it's black). I disconnect the wiring plugs and nuts. However, there is two little wires coming out of the back of the engine wiring plastic housing unit and bolted to the back of the engine (closer to the top). I can not get to that damn screw. Perhaps this is a ground wire.

Has anyone removed the Rear Water Bypass Joint before? If so, how did you get that &#^@$! black plastic engine wiring housing unit out of the way.

Appreciate any feedback/ideas.

Bill
Old 11-23-05, 10:58 AM
wmbyrd
Driver School Candidate

Default Starter Replacement Update

Haleluha!!! I got that damn starter out!!! However, I never got the engine wire housing out. I simply lifted the damn thing up and pulled the rear water by-pass unit from underneath it.

By the way, there are a number of folk on this board who appears to have, based uon there pictures, removed the starter without removing the rear water by-pass unit. That is impossible on my 2000 ls400. I absolutly had to remove it.

Also, I had to use two special tools: A 12mm flex head ratchet wrench (HUSKYPRO) and a HUSKYPRO infiifliex ratchet. Let me be very clear: I COULD NOT HAVE REMOVED THOSE BOLTS WITHOUT BOTH OF THESE TOOLS.

Finally, I took my starter to AUTOZONE to get ot tested. It failed twice and passed seven times. being the cheap *** that I am, I contemplated putting it back. But; the effort to remove this thing was so overwhelming and will ensure that I won't have to do it again.

Does anyone know if there are some basic and fixable problems with starters that I can at least look at. Before I spend $350, I want to at least make sure the problem is stupid/simple like sanding a contact.

I would appreciate your feedback

Bill
Old 11-24-05, 04:46 PM
wmbyrd
Driver School Candidate

Default Starter update

Hey all. Fixed my starter. My contacts were really bad. Probably the plunger could not seat on both contacts due to one contact being significantly lower than the other. I tested it and it worked.

However, I do not have the dust plug. I lost it?@>!<#?!. Does anyone know what it is and weather I need it. or wheather I can buy one.

Thanks, Bill
Old 11-26-05, 09:33 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Well, check to see if you can replace just the starter contacts. Thats all you really need and this is common on the LX.

And yes, the 98-00LS is the best car on the planet. I have two of them.
Old 11-26-05, 02:27 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the starter job, definitely a PITA!!!

How many miles are on your LS?

My starter went out at 89K miles, which I find inexcusable on a $55K car. I didn't have the time or patience to do the R&R myself (even though I am capable) so I farmed it out to a local Lex. specialty shop. I think it cost around $800 total, 1/2 of which was a new (not reman) starter.
Old 11-26-05, 04:00 PM
sahtt
Rookie

I agree, there is no excuse for a starter going on a car less than 8 or so years old and average miles on a vehicle of a caliber like this. The car I just purchased is a 91 with lower miles, and the starter is showing some wear but could probably last another 10k easily. I'm starting to organize my efforts so I can change it relatively soon. Congrats on figuruing it out, mechanical triumphs are one of a kind.
Old 11-27-05, 11:50 AM
wmbyrd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks TOYLEXMOD:

One the contacts in my starter was was worn down really bad. I assume that the plunger could not touch both contacts as one was worn down. I replaced both contacts and reinstalled the starter. I completed an $1100 repair for approx $100 (contacts plus tools).

SELEWIS: My 2000 LS400 has 67K.
Old 11-27-05, 07:34 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wmbyrd
Thanks TOYLEXMOD:

One the contacts in my starter was was worn down really bad. I assume that the plunger could not touch both contacts as one was worn down. I replaced both contacts and reinstalled the starter. I completed an $1100 repair for approx $100 (contacts plus tools).

SELEWIS: My 2000 LS400 has 67K.
Your welcome.

In the process of installing my LX supercharger.....really this is no big deal. I talked to a Toyota master tech and confirmed you can swap a starter in 30 minutes. I believe him.

Should these contacts wear out??? Depending on climate and number of starts....this can happen. If you own a GM product and your replacing sensor after sensor with repeated towing into the dealer...some starter contacts on a 7 year old vehicle is a deal.

In my experience with Toyota and lexus...the starters have been fine.

92LS.....150k+ on the factory starter...still going with another family member.
92SC.....100k on the factory starter....selling to a friend.
98LS.....60k on the factory starter.
00LS....40k on the factory starter.
99LX....87k on the factory starter.
87Supraturbo....70k on the factory starter.
88 Celicaturbo....70k on the factory starter.

Starters have not been any problems.
Old 12-02-05, 10:14 PM
lexusnut
Driver School Candidate

Cool Starter Replacement

I have looked at the manuals and when I discovered where the darn starter was located I could not beleive my eyes. I have ordered the new contacts from ebay. Will replace them when have time. Car still works. Although, the starting sometimes is hard, click click.
Old 12-12-05, 04:39 PM
ndauderman
Driver School Candidate

Default starter contacts

Thanks all for the description. My 99 ls400 is a great machine, but about 3 months ago the car started to pick whenever it wanted to start. Battery is fine, starter (when working) started the car with plenty of strength and often... then the click, click, became a bit more frequent. Brought it in today to my buddy's shop and will have them replace the contacts. I still haven't seen any posts about actual starters failing on this site? I will let you know the diagnosis.

LS400 106,000 miles (and in need of a timing belt change)

Nick
Old 12-28-05, 11:46 AM
Jasoneo5
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey,

I have the same problem with my 99 LS400....but i LOVE IT as you do! . Do you think that I would be able to replace my starter by myself, as you did? I would say that I am somewhat mechanically inclined. Thanks

-Jason Elcan

PS..and special tools needed that the avarage garage wouldn't have in it? Also, and other tips/advice? Thanks again!
Old 06-21-06, 09:13 AM
afaleti
Driver

Default Bad Starter on a 99 LS with 88K Miles ....

My starter tick tick problem is now getting worse!! Does anyone t hink there needs to be a recall
by lexus because this should not be happening at under 100K on such an expensive ride?

I got an estimate for $800.00 from pro-care Auto in Reisterstown Md.

Here is the link to the 1997 Starter recall
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/p...ess009435.html
Old 06-21-06, 09:32 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Starters wear according to their use, as does any motor. How can there be a recall?

Replace the starter with a remanufactured unit, if you need. Get a quality replacement unit. The job is time consuming to do right, part cost being minimal...less the $200

Don't depend on Lexus to recall a fifteen year old auto, unless there is a safety incident, like a master cylinder failure and crippled children are killed inside the beltway.. and the Washington Post is first with the story
Old 06-21-06, 11:48 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I changed the starter myself about a few months ago. Its lots of work, but I saved lots of money. I bought a OEM Reman from a guy on ebay for $100 bucs, great guy, with great service. Its a GREAT OEM starter with all OEM parts.

I did a tutorial if you search on here with pics and all the parts and gaskets needed. Good luck.