LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New owner w/ tech questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 09:13 PM
sahtt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner w/ tech questions

I was looking for a lower mileage 93 or 94, but ran accross a 91 that I couldn't pass up. I'll get pics up in the next couple days if you guys want. It has 132k on it, very well maintained. However, just before selling it the shop [which the owner refered me to] told me the valve seals are starting to leak and the starter is starting to show signs of wear, but both issues won't need attention until 10-30k miles. No other mechanical issues whatsoever. I plan on fixing the valve seals asap, starter sounds fine at this point. Back when I had a garage available, I did all my own work on my 300zx twin turbo, so I am decently mechanically inclined. Is there a writeup of sorts or should I go ahead and buy a seperate service manual? Anyone know the rated dealer hours/cost on this job? Starter job? I have a few other misc. questions I'll just search more first though. Thanks, looking foward to driving this car.
Old 11-17-05, 11:52 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You sound like you are up to the task and ready for a mechanical challenge. Problem is, why in the hell are the vale seals bad on a 1UZFE w so little mileage? What symptoms are indicating this?

Very rare for a starter to go out this early as well. I would check battery & alternator condition first unless this is blatant "must upgrade-itis".

There are some very knowlegeable folks here. So if you have the time,skill &
tools ask away.

Best wishes,
Old 11-18-05, 06:08 AM
sahtt
Rookie

I wasn't able to visually identify it, the shop simply told me that the seals were going to need attention sooner later. I'd have to remove all that plastic for the intake/etc. to see for myself. Considering the combination of 15 years and 132k miles, I don't find it odd for the motor to have an oil leak. The battery is about a year old and the starter acts like normal. The PO simply said his wife mentioned it acting up everyonce in a while [by her discription], and perhaps that's the shop's way of just diagnosing what the woman said was wrong. Thanks for your help, I'm looking forward to tapping into this network as much as I can, the zcar world helped me immensely with those cars.
Old 11-18-05, 08:49 AM
CELICA XX
Rookie

How could an external inspection of the starter, reveal wear?
Old 11-19-05, 08:53 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A rear main oil seal is a possibility and I have heard of instances of this occurring.
A search here should yield some info. This is a very different thing from needing valve workl

Only good news about having to work on the valve-train of a 1uzfe would be that the starter would then be a breeze since you would have to have the intake manifold & cylinder heads removed to get to them.

Repeat: I have seen almost zero post on cylinder head problems w this engine & if this car truly has it you would probably be better off cost wise to buy a new engine on ebay because this one will have been badly mistreated.