LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Installed Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs and did the H3C to H3 conversion....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 10:43 AM
yuiou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a guy who used piaa code H-63 bulbs in the parking lights.

before
Attached Thumbnails Installed Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs and did the H3C to H3 conversion....-t_p5052745_thumb.jpg  
Old 04-05-05, 10:44 AM
yuiou
Driver School Candidate

after
Attached Thumbnails Installed Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs and did the H3C to H3 conversion....-t_p5052746_thumb.jpg  
Old 04-05-05, 01:38 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

piaa wedge bulbs are horrible.. silverstars always seemed over-rated in my opinion.. i never like the color coming from the bulbs ... you only really see a difference in lighting with a 100/80 rated bulb or HID kit.. the 65W bulbs just wont cut it..

but lets see some pics of the H3 silverstars..
Old 04-05-05, 03:55 PM
Montalvo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by persian451
piaa wedge bulbs are horrible.. silverstars always seemed over-rated in my opinion.. i never like the color coming from the bulbs ... you only really see a difference in lighting with a 100/80 rated bulb or HID kit.. the 65W bulbs just wont cut it..

but lets see some pics of the H3 silverstars..
Pics will go up this weekend after I get my wheels.

By the way, I slapped on the PIAA 19224 wedge bulbs and they omit a light blue color that DOES NOT MATCH the Silverstars. I'm buying orange wedge bulbs tonight and see how that looks. I think the two different shades of white make a car look "ghetto."
Old 04-06-05, 11:53 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here my 55watt corner light conversion:
Attached Thumbnails Installed Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs and did the H3C to H3 conversion....-my-pictures0001.jpg  
Old 04-06-05, 01:30 PM
Montalvo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexkost
Here my 55watt corner light conversion:
Nice! What bulb? How'd you do it?

Thanks.
Old 04-07-05, 10:41 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ychachad
Yes, the 921 bulb is bigger at the top, but it has the identical base (electrical connection) as the 168 or 194. The hole in the clear corner lens is big enough so that the bulb can easily pass through. I have them in in both my gen 1 and gen 2. Absolutely no modification is required. Go forth.
As RA40 has also stated, and we have discussed this before in another thread, it will fit.
I'll take your word for it.

Some of you guys might remember but I had white LED bulbs in my parking corners for a while. Well, after months with no problems and a good color match I got pulled over for it. The cop said they looked "blue" which is illegal. Luckly he did not ticket me the XXX.XX fee because I was honest with him. So, the next day I went back to standard bulbs.

When I got my LS both of these bulbs were burned out and it looked pretty good. Maybe going back to no white parking bulbs would be the best option? You would still have the amber side marker lights so you would be fully legal right? Just a thought, want to see what you think....
Old 04-08-05, 07:02 AM
Montalvo
Driver School Candidate

Yes, how did you do the corner light conversion?!

I drove the Lexus at night for the first time last night and the difference between the stock bulb setup and the new bulb setup is night and day!
Old 04-08-05, 07:28 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

I am honoured. This is my chance to help LEXLS, who, as we all know, has provided us all with so many tips and procedures. Thanks LEXLS.

Yes, the amber "indicator" lights on the bumper will keep you legal. As long as the Indicator light (the one in the bumber) is amber, you are legal.

The corner light, also known as the parking light, can really be any colour. About the parking light, the Benz and other Germans use amber, the Lexus uses clear. That is proof, it does not have to be amber. This is the light we are talking about. The one situated right beside the headlamp. I would NOT advise a 55W H3 conversion (too bright, too hot for a small casing, requires bracket and harness conversion, may need wiring conversion, may need fuse conversion, and draws too many amps). I know Lexkost uses it without problems, but I think it may be a matter of time before you raise attention and get pulled over. Lexkost may be lucky, you may not be. The 921 is very bright enough in itself, and take no harness or bracket conversion. Actually speaking, you can use 920, 921 or 922, the wattage differs only miniscually. All of them (9XX) are larger than the 168/194, and provide wattages between 18 and 21 watts (I tested them using a simple multimeter). BUT, the base electrical connector for any 9XX bulb is the same as the 1XX bulb, and it requires no other conversions whatsoever. I have been using this in my 92 and 95 LS for several months without any problems. Cornering visibility at night has improved appreciably. I trust that helps you LEXLS, and that would be a nice article on your already great website.

Other light conversions to consider are:

Gen 1 LS:
Change from 9004 (45 watts) to 9007 (55 Watts), change door lights from 194 (2 watts) to 168 (about 5 Watts), and changing lights in the climate control unit to LEDs these will never burn.

Gen 2 LS:
Convert fog lamps from 9006 (55W, and black paint on bulb) to 9005 (65 Watts and no paint on bulb)

Take care everybody.

Originally Posted by LexLS
I'll take your word for it.

Some of you guys might remember but I had white LED bulbs in my parking corners for a while. Well, after months with no problems and a good color match I got pulled over for it. The cop said they looked "blue" which is illegal. Luckly he did not ticket me the XXX.XX fee because I was honest with him. So, the next day I went back to standard bulbs.

When I got my LS both of these bulbs were burned out and it looked pretty good. Maybe going back to no white parking bulbs would be the best option? You would still have the amber side marker lights so you would be fully legal right? Just a thought, want to see what you think....
Old 04-08-05, 10:12 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Y.,

You seem to know a lot about this and I welcome you to do a tutorial for any of these lighting projects. I already have a VERY long "to do" list, plus you know more than me on this Please email me if you're interested. Of course you would get credit for what you do.
Old 04-09-05, 04:48 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Can I find the climate control LEDs at a local store, like Pep Boys, etc.? What is the bulb number? Can anyone help. I like blue!

-John
Old 04-10-05, 08:37 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

I'll try to take pics today or tomorrow, and then send you a write up procedure. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by LexLS
Y.,

You seem to know a lot about this and I welcome you to do a tutorial for any of these lighting projects. I already have a VERY long "to do" list, plus you know more than me on this Please email me if you're interested. Of course you would get credit for what you do.
Old 04-10-05, 08:38 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

As far I know the bulb is ONLY available from superbrightleds.com type T1. Check LexLS website.

Originally Posted by playa3uhh
Can I find the climate control LEDs at a local store, like Pep Boys, etc.? What is the bulb number? Can anyone help. I like blue!

-John
Old 12-30-12, 07:53 AM
LWechterPA
Driver School Candidate

Default H3C Fog light bulb replacement HELP!

I have a 1994 Lexus LS and I'm trying to find the replacement bulb Sylvania H3C (not H3). The local Auto Zone, Advance Auto & Pep Boys do not stock. Is there a replacement bulb for this application without modifying the current wiring? I know you guys know the answer without suggesting the dealer. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-12, 10:47 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/light...onversion.html

Was to make it easy to obtain H3 bulbs in the conversion. Now with HID kits and with 35W wattage HID applications, this would be an option to consider.