LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument cluster update - good news!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 11:45 PM
kpgray
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Instrument cluster update - good news!

I wanted to update everyone on my experience with getting my instrument cluster light problem remedied.
I had contemplated using Jim in Fresno, but would have had to have my mechanic remove the dash; ship the unit to Jim and get my mechanic to reinstall. A lot of hassle, time, and possibility of the dash being damaged in transit. So, I wrote to Lexus Customer Care. They called me within a couple days and told me to get an estimate from a dealer. I went to Magnussen's in Fremont and was told I needed the dash cluster board and the a/c panel, too. Both would not work when cold.
They gave me a 'discount' on the parts, but the total estimate (inc. 2.5 hrs. labor) was about $1,700.
I called Customer Care back and told them what parts were needed and the estimate total. A couple days later they called me back and told me they would pick up everything but $545.
Although I do feel this problem shouldn't be happening with these cars and Lexus should probably have voluntarily recalled them; I'm happy to have dash lites ALL the time and can live without the $545. I should also have some recourse if something should happen to the cluster again since I went through the dealership. Personally, it was worth it to me to be done with the whole thing!
No one at Lexus or their Customer Care even attempted to deny there were any problems. When I walked into the dealership and told them what was wrong they knew immediately what parts I needed.
So, definitely check out going through Lexus to have your instrument cluster probs repaired. I figure by the time my mechanic removed, and later reinstalled, the cluster; sent it to Fresno and back at overnite prices; and being without a vehicle for about 1 week - the price would have been about the same - and there would not have been as much recourse with any problems as there is w/a dealership.
One person at Lexus said that this shows they're a 'good company' - I don't know if I agree with that 100% because if the company was that 'good' there would have been a voluntary recall and we wouldn't have to go through this. However, I was happy with the way it was handled.
Good Luck!
kpg
Old 03-13-05, 10:32 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know corporate is stepping in.
What year is your car?
Old 03-14-05, 10:34 PM
kpgray
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I have a '94 LS400 with 66K on it.
I'm also glad corporate assisted; however, I think they should have been the one to initiate the repairs. They know there's a problem and they should have recalled or offered assistance as soon as they realized this was a problem with these models.

I'm just glad to have dash lights all the time.