Instruction for Installing RX 300 Altezza Tail Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-02, 03:12 PM
MrX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instruction for Installing Altezza Tail Light

Hi All!

I am a newbie to this forum. I just bought a pair of Altezz Tail Light for my '99 RX and there is no instruction. Does anyone have the proper instruction of installing them.

Thanks!

This forum rocks!!!
Old 10-02-02, 03:53 PM
Handogen
Driver

Default It's pretty simple...

I just installed these last week on my 99RX.

For the outter light housing;
1. Open the trunk hatch (obviously) and remove the two screws you see for the light housing.
2. Then pull gently but firmly at the plastic moulding(it'll break if you pull the wrong way/too hard).
3. Then remove the plastic "screw/rivot" holding the carpeted moulding.
4. Pull that moulding back enough to disconnect the wiring.
5. Then after you remove the light housing, rip that bad boy (the wiring)out of there.
6. Then insert the new wiring through the same hole, and reconnect the wires.
7. Test the lights.
8. Then screw the new light housing in place. replace the plastic screw/rivot, and pop the plastic moulding back into place.

For the inner lights;
1. Remove the carpeted moulding (pull gently but firmly) as you would to replace a bulb.
2. Unscrew the four bolts holding the light housing in place (2 on outter edge and 2 on inside).
3. Remove the housing and put the new lights in.
4. For the inner lights, you will probably have to use the same wiring/bulbs. I did for mine since the wiring on the new Altezza lights was different than the stock harness.
5. Test all the lights.
6. Pop the new light housing in place and bolt 'er back down.

... and you're done! It makes my RX look brand spankin new.... very nice improvement... Once you do that, the next step is to sell your old set on eBay! You should be able to get $50-100 for your old set... I chose to list my left side and right side sets seperately... but that's another thread altogether I suppose.

Best of luck,
Hando

Last edited by Handogen; 10-02-02 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-02-02, 04:09 PM
MrX
Rookie

Hando,

Thanks for the excellent instructions. It seems pretty straight forward. After this, I am thinking of getting a HID kit install, do you have any suggestions of which kit to buy?

Thanks!

MrX
Old 10-02-02, 08:11 PM
Handogen
Driver

No, not yet... check back in a week or two.

I bought 2002 hid headlights & housing and will be installing those shortly. I'm going to have to take it to a custom shop to find out how the wiring's going to go and what HID kid I'll need to buy.

Unfortunately it's not a MOD too many people have done. And it's definitely not one that the Lexus Service Department is wanting to do.

Hando
Old 10-03-02, 09:36 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

MrX, autolamps-online.com makes a good product. Phillips is an excellent brand for HID's. ClubLexus has used them for a group buy before.
Old 10-03-02, 10:23 AM
MrX
Rookie

Hando,

Thanks to your help, I installed the Lights last night, it took me about an hour. The hardest part was the wire harness attachment, otherwise, this is very easy mod. Looks AWESOME!!!

The rubber grommet that comes with the new lights didnt fit, so I forced it inside of the existing hole, it worked out well.

Let me know how your HID go when you are done!

LexRX, thanks for the suggestions. I was talking to my bro in-law and he suggest I get the Audi Blue for my HID, any clue what this are and who is the manufacturer and part numbers?

Thanks!

MrX
Old 10-03-02, 10:44 AM
Handogen
Driver

Yah I remember the gromet... I didn't mention it because I didn't want to sound stupid.... I couldn't get 'er in there either so I did the best I could.

...not sure about the Audi lights... There's some smart people around here though. I'm sure somebody will know.

Cya,
Hando
Old 10-03-02, 02:04 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

If you want a bluer colored HID go with a 6000k kit. Otherwise, roughly 4200k OEM HID color. I'd go with Phillips brand for sure. Audi's use a 4200k bulb, but due to the optics (projector lights) there is some color flicker. If you look closely at the bulb it won't be as blue.

You should check out lex400sc's write-up on HID's. A lot of good information to know.
https://www.clublexus.com/Informatio...l/HID/hid.html

Last edited by LexRX; 10-03-02 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-03-02, 02:32 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Ya, those audis use projection i think and when you look at them in a angle it would seem blue... but when you look at them directly they are about 4200k.

I guess the best bet would be to get 6000k HID bulbs and you would be fine... it'll be a pure white with a hint of blue in it... i have em and i love em =)
Old 10-03-02, 03:32 PM
MrX
Rookie

I am definitely going to get the 6000k Conversion Kit. Will this be fine or do I need the OEM Retrofit Kit.

I saw this on Ebay, will this work well with the '99 RX300? Using the 6000k bulb, of course.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1864244933

Thanks for all your input!

MrX
Old 10-03-02, 05:10 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MrX,

Welcome to ClubLexus.

Call Jen Liu at http://www.SUVLights.com.
You'll find his number on the web site.

I bought a kit from him for $425, incl shipping. It's the best mod I've got...McCulloch ballasts and Philips HID capsules. He can answer any questions you have regarding HID. A very knowledgeable fellow who's ready to discuss all your options.

7000K? I also recommend looking at lex400sc's write-up. The more you know about HID, and the properties of lightbulbs and their output can help you avoid costly mistakes:

https://www.clublexus.com/Informatio...l/HID/hid.html

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 10-03-02 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-04-02, 02:05 AM
MrX
Rookie

Daddy-O,

Thanks for the info. I talk to Jen at suvlights.com and will probably place an order thru him. Cant wait until get it install.

Thanks everyone!

MrX
Old 06-28-20, 01:51 PM
chrisaug
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Handogen
I just installed these last week on my 99RX.

For the outter light housing;
1. Open the trunk hatch (obviously) and remove the two screws you see for the light housing.
2. Then pull gently but firmly at the plastic moulding(it'll break if you pull the wrong way/too hard).
3. Then remove the plastic "screw/rivot" holding the carpeted moulding.
4. Pull that moulding back enough to disconnect the wiring.
5. Then after you remove the light housing, rip that bad boy (the wiring)out of there.
6. Then insert the new wiring through the same hole, and reconnect the wires.
7. Test the lights.
8. Then screw the new light housing in place. replace the plastic screw/rivot, and pop the plastic moulding back into place.

For the inner lights;
1. Remove the carpeted moulding (pull gently but firmly) as you would to replace a bulb.
2. Unscrew the four bolts holding the light housing in place (2 on outter edge and 2 on inside).
3. Remove the housing and put the new lights in.
4. For the inner lights, you will probably have to use the same wiring/bulbs. I did for mine since the wiring on the new Altezza lights was different than the stock harness.
5. Test all the lights.
6. Pop the new light housing in place and bolt 'er back down.

... and you're done! It makes my RX look brand spankin new.... very nice improvement... Once you do that, the next step is to sell your old set on eBay! You should be able to get $50-100 for your old set... I chose to list my left side and right side sets seperately... but that's another thread altogether I suppose.

Best of luck,
Hando

sorry to bring this old thread up but I am attempting to swap my tail lights with some 2001 up after market lights. Do most lights come with a harness or do I need to modify the existing one?