Looking to upgrade to HID housings and Stage I kit in my RX 300

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-02, 12:14 AM
hok_97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade to HID housings and Stage I kit

Hi guys,

I have a 2000 RX. Looking to upgrade the OEM halogen headlights to HIDs.

Can I just buy the Stage I kit and install it into the OEM housing or do I need to purchase HID housings?

If yes, where is there a good site to buy it from?

Thanks

Last edited by hok_97; 04-02-02 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-02-02, 06:52 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

Yes, you can just go for the aftermarket HID kits -- stage I or stage II, all will work. Just make sure when you order them, buy the kit that fits for 9006 bulb application.

There have been many threads and discussions on upgrading to HID on this forum, pls take the time to browse through them with pictures too. Spinteews has many great pictures you can browse through as well.

Here're a couple of websites I like for buying HID:

www.autolamps-online.com

or

www.autolites.net

good luck!
-Hendry
Old 04-02-02, 11:29 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

right on, listen to Hendry... I been looking around ever since and finally i got mine and i love it.
Old 04-02-02, 02:04 PM
hok_97
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by spinteews
right on, listen to Hendry... I been looking around ever since and finally i got mine and i love it.

Thanks just brought them today =)
6000K baby

BTW: where did you get your OEM mirror tints done at for your front windows?! At Lexus or aftermarket?

Let me know - Very interested in that
Old 04-02-02, 02:54 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Cool! Have fun, and post some pictures afterwards if you can...

We'd all love to see the l..i..g..h..t..
Old 04-02-02, 03:15 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

sweet congrats with the HID buy... where did you purchase it from??

the mirror tint was from an aftermarket shop but my lexus dealer use to own that shop, so they did everything for me. Just look around. Only problem is when your inside looking out of the tinted mirror, it looks kinda dull... i think they did kinda bad job on mine since i see some black lines which i doubt's suppose to be there... i'm gonna give my dealer a call today =)

and ya, show pics once its installed
Old 04-02-02, 10:05 PM
hok_97
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by spinteews
sweet congrats with the HID buy... where did you purchase it from??

the mirror tint was from an aftermarket shop but my lexus dealer use to own that shop, so they did everything for me. Just look around. Only problem is when your inside looking out of the tinted mirror, it looks kinda dull... i think they did kinda bad job on mine since i see some black lines which i doubt's suppose to be there... i'm gonna give my dealer a call today =)

and ya, show pics once its installed

When you asked for those tints, what did you ask for exactly? Because a lot of shops in the city don't have anything that matches the OEM rear tints. Let me know .. really want them now =)

I got the lights at
www.autolamps-online.com

Definitely post pics when I get them installed.

Thanks
Old 04-03-02, 12:29 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

philips ultinon 6000k? hehe

i guess they are called mirror tint??
i just asked the guys for matching stock tint and they said ok.
only thing is its not going to be EXACTLY matching since our rear tint windows are stock and they are i think intergrated into the window it self or its the window itself... either or lol

But it will be a bit duller then the rears but still close enough. I like them... and they are going to fix mine if the black stuff does not go away.
Old 04-03-02, 01:39 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have went for the RX300 OEM HIDs They have proper HID optic assemblies to ensure correct beam pattern, sharp cut-off line, proper focal point, even distribution of light, and heavily reduced glare. The RX300 HIDs have some of the most tightly controlled beam patterns I've seen. And they are plenty blue enough without a 6000K bulb. They come equipped with 4100K bulbs too, which is superior to 6000K, contrary to popular belief. Oh well, live and learn.....
Old 04-03-02, 07:26 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

lex400sc, what exactly would you have to do converting a halogen RX headlight setup to the OEM HID. It seems to me like it would be a whole heck of a lot of trouble to get it done. If you can find a set of OEM HID parts (ballast, bulbs, etc) will they plug directly into the ballast halogen's wiring harness? Please be as specific as you can I'm interested in upgrading mine eventually.

-nick

Last edited by LexRX; 04-03-02 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-03-02, 07:48 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

Nick,

I think what lex400sc was referring was the whole oem HID headlamp assembly, not just the "HID components". If we have a pair of the oem HID headlamp assemblies (Whole headlamp housings), then it's just easy to "swap" with the halogen headlamp assembly. However, if we only want to use the oem HID components (bulbs, ballasts, wiring), the bulbs won't fit into the halogen-based headlamp internal fitment -- 9006.

remember this thread...?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=43698

-Hendry
Old 04-03-02, 10:57 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

also i think if going with the OEM HIDS you are not going to get the auto leveling or mabbie i'm wrong...
but changing to the OEM HIDS is gonna eat a hole in your wallet
Old 04-03-02, 11:51 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

You're right! unless the car already came with the HID option, we can't get the autolevelling... and costs more $$$$$$$$$
Old 04-03-02, 01:01 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Yes Hendry, I remember, it hasn't been that long I guess I just don't quite have the answer, and won't, until I do it for myself. I know you'll need the OEM housing for the OEM HID parts (really, for the bulb). I was just unsure at how the ballast would plug in - whether or not wires had to be spliced or wheter it plugged right into the OEM halogen wiring harness.

Basically, I'm not completely familiar with doing a mod like this and don't know all the "in's and out's" as it were. I may tend to ask the same question many times, in different ways, to get an answer Also, I feel the topic on HID's hasn't been discussed enough yet

I guess I still feel and aftermarket, stage I, HID with a D2R bulb would be best for me. I think the beam pattern would be alright b/c the stock halogen RX beam pattern has a nice spread.

Also, guys, thanks for the HID help thus far. I've learned more on CL about HID's than I ever would have anywhere else

Last edited by LexRX; 04-03-02 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-03-02, 04:29 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Sure, Nick! I agree with you... there's never enough discussions on HIDs...

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade to HID housings and Stage I kit in my RX 300