Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Phillips 4100K SC300 Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 10:35 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Phillips 4100K SC300 Retrofit

Hello, my name is Jimmy, and I am rather new to Club Lexus, after lurking for a month, I decided to join. I am planning on purchasing a 1998 SC300, and will be sending my headlights to be retrofitted with HID's.

My plan is:

Picking up brand new headlights from Carson Toyota for the SC at $566 for the pair.

Sending them to http://www.illusion-lighting.com/ for the retrofitting to the ECE Spec HID Xenon projectors with the 4100k Phillips D2S bulbs and Hella ballasts. They quoted me $1,000 for the retrofit, and warranty their work.

I have seen their finished results, and it is amazing!

Now, I know a many people out there just want to buy the bulbs, and ballast, and install them into their stock healight assembly, but from what I could tell, that is a no-no. You will have glare, and your cut off line will be nonexisitent. All you get is cops attention, and melted housings...

http://www.intellectual.net says,

..."As far as color selection goes, there are two main color temperatures out there: ~4100 kelvin, which is OEM color, and ~6000 kelvin, which is aftermarket color. By the way, the term 'color temperature' does not have any correlation with the property of 'thermal temperature'. I personally do not see any reason for buying anything other than 4100K OEM, but that's me. Some people like blue light and are willing to pay extra money for extra blueness and less brightness---and thus the 6000K market. I'm sure the reason isn't because people like to see everything on the road in bluescale, but because they want their headlights to appear blue to onlookers. The proper way to achieve more blue/violet in your HIDs is to do an OEM projector HID retrofit and upgrade the projector lenses to ECE-spec"...

..."So allow me to explain the real truth of the matter... Philips is the number one manufacturer of HID bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go. Vision, a Korean bulb manufacturer, makes an 8000K bulb, which they used to advertise on Acura-Forums as 2000 lumens bright. This is barely a marked improvement over halogens, and will produce more glare and eye fatigue than it is beneficial. 4100K has been proven through tireless independent research by the Germans, Japanese, and Americans to be the most functional, truest white and thus the brightest possible color temperature (ceteris paribus)"... - Thank You Webmaster!

So in other words when you pay for a kit that advertises a bulb kelvin of more than 6000k, you can consider yourself a sucker...

Although, paying $1,556 for new headlights/HID's is rather steep... Good thing I've been saving!
Old 09-30-06, 02:44 PM
datsetup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mmmm ( baller alert ) dude good look i reather do this stuff myself.. and for someone else to do it it takes weeks and if it breaks trust me there gonna hassle you on gettn it back to them and a nother 3 weeks to send it back to you you should try doing it your self its a lot of people on here who didnt know how to till they tryed like myself....but hey your money i cant tell you how 2 spend it but walcome to the new world of retro fitting enjoy your stay let me know how it comes out please post picz gotta love those ece im looking for a pair as we speak
Old 09-30-06, 03:08 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good lookin out datsetup, but I work full time, and haven't the time nor the experience to spend on this project as I'd like to experiment. I just figure I can play with other parts of the car a lil bit easier than this.. i.e. suspension, rims/tires, and having O.L.T. redo my guages with his wizardry.

I already have some rims, and I am personally going to polish them. (Lotsa Labor) So yeah, Ima be saving money there...only because I know how. I'll post before and after pics of the headlights up against a wall and such antics, whenever that comes in...