Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Brighter HID's

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 10:11 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brighter HID's

Hey everyone, this is my first (hopefully of many) post at clublexus and I've got a couple questions. Firstly I'm a pround new owner of a Black IS350, had it for just over two months and have already racked up 5k miles! and its not even my daily driver. Got an old 1998 pontiac I use most of the time to drive to school/work so needless to say i'm enjoying the IS a lot.

My first question is about HID's. I've been searching/browsing threads on here and have seen some pics of people with brighter HID's with the blueish/pupleish glow. Where can I get my hands on some of these?

Second question. I live in southern California, San Diego to be exact. Are there any dealers around here that sell and/or install aftermarket, or even factory upgrades for the IS?

Well thats it for the time being. My appoligies if these questions have been asked many times before. Thanks in advance for any advise!

-Ramon
Old 02-07-06, 10:25 PM
liquidsilver
Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
Hey everyone, this is my first (hopefully of many) post at clublexus and I've got a couple questions. Firstly I'm a pround new owner of a Black IS350, had it for just over two months and have already racked up 5k miles! and its not even my daily driver. Got an old 1998 pontiac I use most of the time to drive to school/work so needless to say i'm enjoying the IS a lot.

My first question is about HID's. I've been searching/browsing threads on here and have seen some pics of people with brighter HID's with the blueish/pupleish glow. Where can I get my hands on some of these?

Second question. I live in southern California, San Diego to be exact. Are there any dealers around here that sell and/or install aftermarket, or even factory upgrades for the IS?

Well thats it for the time being. My appoligies if these questions have been asked many times before. Thanks in advance for any advise!

-Ramon
The more blue/purple u get the more the light performance decreases. Stick to ur stock.
Old 02-07-06, 11:13 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I realize the brigher HID's actually have less visable light, but I'm pretty envious of how bimmers for example look with their higher color temp lights. With foglights and high beams to fall back on if need be, I'm willing to sacrafice some of that visable light for the look
Old 02-07-06, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the hid on the IS (projectors) should have the bimmer effect already, no?

anyway you can do 6000k. it affects output a bit, though should still be fine
Old 02-08-06, 12:23 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Yeah, that sounds like what I'm after. So now two more questions...

1) Is there a kit available that will allow me to keep the auto leveling and swivel feature that the stock ones have? While I'm willing to give up some light output for the higher temp HID's. I don't think I'd want to give up the leveling/swivel feature.

2) If there is such an animal, where do I get it?
Old 02-08-06, 12:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

?! you have hid stock already right? then you just need the bulbs

you can talk to xenondepot, or try jus4bulbs@yahoo.com
Old 02-08-06, 12:40 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Yes, I have stock HID's... So all i'd have to do is change the bulb? Thats good news!

Forgive my ignorance, but this is my first day here... Is xenondepot a forum member or a website?
Old 02-08-06, 01:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no problem, just ask!

yes you just need bulbs, all the autoleveling it has nothing to do with the bulbs

xenondepot.com is a vendor here. jus4bulbs, he's in taiwan, a lot of members got stuff from them before
Old 02-08-06, 01:37 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default HID bulbs are very expensive

I agree with Rominl, 6000K lights look great and that's what I will put in my car should I need to replace the OEM 4100-4300K HIDs but any quality (name brand such as Osram, Philips, etc) HID bulb is fairly expensive - couple hundred bucks for a new pair.

Neil
Old 02-08-06, 10:50 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the purple flickering on bimmers is mostly due to the lense in the projector, not the bulb itself. I have 5000k bulbs and the difference in light output from the 4300k ones I had before is pretty noticeable.
Old 02-08-06, 11:38 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I realize the brigher HID's actually have less visable light, but I'm pretty envious of how bimmers for example look with their higher color temp lights. With foglights and high beams to fall back on if need be, I'm willing to sacrafice some of that visable light for the look
If you want to "look" like a bmw, you have to go with around 8000k.

If you want true performance oriented xenons - do a complete retrofit

The next best thing is 4300k. <-------you drive a lexus so class should be top priority . If you're on a budget, I'd recommend this one.

And if you truly feel bad about asking a question that has been asked many many times, try some searching. It really helps .

edit : my bad, just read you have stock HID's. Just stick to them man. You don't know it but you have the xenon flicker too when you drive. The main reason why you see it go crazy on bmw's and s2000's is because their suspension ride is stiffer.

Still ...search.
Old 02-08-06, 05:56 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the advise guys. After doing some more research, I think I will be sticking with the stocks for the time being.

Oh, and class is a top priority If I do decide to do any type of mods, I'm gonna do it the right way and definatly not gonna go with a budget solution.

As far as searching, trust me, I do. Every question I ask I also do my own resarch on it. I like to have as many resources as possible to make an informed decision.

It wasn't necessarily the "flicker" I was after though, it was the color. BMW's seem to have a bluer output.
Old 02-08-06, 08:36 PM
blux
Pole Position

The output seems blue because of the cutoff, the color on the ground is pure white. There is a posibility that you can open up your stock projectors and modify the sheild/bowl to make the cutoff more colorful. Edit: Here is a thread from hidplanet showing the 06 GS headlights, maybe they are similar? Register and check the place out.

Here is a pic from HIDPLANET to speak 1000 words.

Last edited by blux; 02-08-06 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 10:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by blux
The output seems blue because of the cutoff, the color on the ground is pure white. There is a posibility that you can open up your stock projectors and modify the sheild/bowl to make the cutoff more colorful. Edit: Here is a thread from hidplanet showing the 06 GS headlights, maybe they are similar? Register and check the place out.

Here is a pic from HIDPLANET to speak 1000 words.

didnt somebody do a similar thing with the SC projectors using a custom spacer?
Old 02-09-06, 01:20 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmmm, 50w ballasts will make things brighter

Last edited by corkycal; 02-09-06 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Brighter HID's