Car Magazine: Lexus LFA vs Lamborghini Aventador

Old 11-24-11, 07:30 AM   #1
05RollaXRS
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Default Car Magazine: Lexus LFA vs Lamborghini Aventador

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93WeM4PDoiI

Quote:

When presented with this £600k pair 458s and 12Cs suddenly look a little limp. Okay, the LFA has /only/ 552bhp, but itís so unlike any Lexus thatís ever gone before: thereís no GS or LS slop or slack anywhere; the steering and brakes are brilliant; and itís powered by the best engine this side of Paul Roscheís masterpiece in the back of a McLaren F1.

Speaking of F1, the LFAís 4.8 wails like a true Formula One V10 too; at first youíll change up 6000rpm, then 7000rpm, then 8000rpm, then 8500, then 8600rpm, and then eventually youíll just pin it until the digital dial flings its needle round to 9000rpm, the whole dashboard flashes red and you wonít know whether itís you or the engine screaming. Utterly glorious and completely addictive. We averaged 6.7mpg.

That an LFA with the special NŁrburgring Package has lapped the Nordschleife in a record-breaking 7:14, and that the Aventador feels (and is) much faster on the road tells you just how ridiculously quick Lamboís latest and greatest is. Itís got 139bhp more than the Lexus. 139bhp! Thatís an extra Suzuki Swift Sport. Itís a monster, but with four-wheel drive traction you can nail that throttle and access all 691bhp almost anywhere. Hence the reason we averaged 5.6mpg.

Itís a big bugger though. Not heavy, but wide, with sloping A-pillars that block your view into corners, while the carbon brakes lack the LFAís sublime feel, and the 6.5-litre V12 feels like itís trying to snap the chassis and break gearbox if you use the Corsa shift mode. And if youíve driven a Murcielago SV (forever etched in my memory as /the/ definition of a supercar) you might find it a little sanitised.

Actually, thatís ridiculous. Wherever we went the usually sniffy French public went mad for it Ė a bright orange Lambo with scissor doors is still the epitome of a supercar. But if thereís an LFA in your garage then youíre a connoisseur, rejoicing in its rarity and understated looks, and happy in the knowledge that you own one of the worldís best ever cars. Please, drive it everyday and do justice to the decade-long gestation.
Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

"The word immediate was invented for the throttle response of this car....and the steering, and the gearbox and just about everything else - Jeremy Clarkson"

05RollaXRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-11, 10:18 AM   #2
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Send a message via AIM to GFerg

Been waiting for someone to do this comparison. Love both cars to death!! Is that the only write up, or is it just a preview?

VP of TLN (#23)
GFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-11, 03:50 PM   #3
05RollaXRS
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFerg View Post
Been waiting for someone to do this comparison. Love both cars to death!! Is that the only write up, or is it just a preview?
The full detailed article in the december edition of the magazine. This is more or less a teaser.

"The word immediate was invented for the throttle response of this car....and the steering, and the gearbox and just about everything else - Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-24-11 at 04:00 PM..
Old 11-24-11, 06:13 PM   #4
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)

Quote:
omgosh that is awesome hah
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-11, 06:26 PM   #5
LexFather
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

mike_vossen

Both are so full of win!!

Quote:
But if there’s an LFA in your garage then you’re a connoisseur, rejoicing in its rarity and understated looks, and happy in the knowledge that you own one of the world’s best ever cars. Please, drive it everyday and do justice to the decade-long gestation.
Amen!!!

2014 LS F sport
2014 IS F sport Build for SEMA 2013 for Lexus by Vossen, click here for the full build
2013 GS F sport work in progress click here for build
2007 GS 450h modified click her for build
2001 GS 430 L-tuned & modified click here for build now parting out
1992 ES 300 manual my first LexusÖ.
#teamvossen
LexFather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-11, 07:20 PM   #6
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

KaizenFactor kaizenfactor kaizenfactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
Both are so full of win!!

Amen!!!
I've always been a Lexus connoisseur...therefore I must have an LFA! LOL

Toyota, Lexus, Scion Connoisseur
flipside909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 08:33 AM   #7
Brylek
Driver School Candidate

I hope that whoever is testing them isn't some kind of eurotrash lover I will make sure to pick up a copy of the magazine when it comes out.
Brylek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 09:41 AM   #8
bforbrian
Pole Position
Trader Score: (3)

Most difficult decision I will ever have to make if I had the loot for those beauties..
Old 11-25-11, 11:55 AM   #9
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylek View Post
I hope that whoever is testing them isn't some kind of eurotrash lover I will make sure to pick up a copy of the magazine when it comes out.
They thought the 458s and 12Cs looking a little limp .
My prediction is that the Lambo would out gunned the LFA in most performance categories, but the LFA would win in the feel good category.
07grIS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 02:45 PM   #10
TF109B
Lexus Champion

They'll pick the Lambo for the performance, and the LFA for the feel. Overall I think the LFA is a better deal. It's cheaper, more exclusive and it's on basic tires. Imagine the Nurb edition. It'll be shown off at Tokyo Motor Show. I hope that means tests are coming early next year.
TF109B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 04:45 PM   #11
05RollaXRS
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF109B View Post
They'll pick the Lambo for the performance, and the LFA for the feel. Overall I think the LFA is a better deal. It's cheaper, more exclusive and it's on basic tires. Imagine the Nurb edition. It'll be shown off at Tokyo Motor Show. I hope that means tests are coming early next year.
Actually, according to TommyJames they both have very similar price not withstanding the price of amenities that might the drive the price up . Ofcourse, the production numbers would be higher for the Aventador.

Evo UK declared the Aventador winner over the 599 GTO as well.

Inspite of the much grippier and sticky Pirelli Corsa tires on the Aventador, handling, steering feel, balance, braking and also the engine wise (they pretty much already said LFA's engine is best ever since Paul Rocher's MacLaren F1 engine in the early 90s) it is very obvious LFA takes it (Aventador has already been criticized for too much understeer).

However, the savage acceleration and 691 HP (138 HP difference with the LFA is ginormous) and curb appeal works heavily in the favor of the Aventador.

It is a toss up at this point.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-25-11 at 05:22 PM..
Old 11-26-11, 06:04 AM   #12
07grIS350
Lead Lap

I remembered he's said that the Lambo starts around USD 380K and up. I don't know how many they can make per year, but the total production run is in the thousands for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS View Post
Actually, according to TommyJames they both have very similar price not withstanding the price of amenities that might the drive the price up . Ofcourse, the production numbers would be higher for the Aventador.

Evo UK declared the Aventador winner over the 599 GTO as well.

Inspite of the much grippier and sticky Pirelli Corsa tires on the Aventador, handling, steering feel, balance, braking and also the engine wise (they pretty much already said LFA's engine is best ever since Paul Rocher's MacLaren F1 engine in the early 90s) it is very obvious LFA takes it (Aventador has already been criticized for too much understeer).

However, the savage acceleration and 691 HP (138 HP difference with the LFA is ginormous) and curb appeal works heavily in the favor of the Aventador.

It is a toss up at this point.
Old 11-28-11, 01:58 AM   #13
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (7)

2 amazing cars competing! Nice!
Old 11-28-11, 03:22 AM   #14
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

The Aventador is cool but it looks too much like a spaceship imo. I like exotics as much as the next guy but I like cars to look like cars. It has too many creases, vents, pointy shapes and wedge shapes. It's definitely cool but the LFA wins the style points category hands down.

Surely, the LFA is better at being a daily driver so that's another plus. Of all the exotics I have sat in, the LFA was the most comfy....unless you count the Bentley GT...which I don't.

Anyway, the LFA would be my choice between these 2. Not even a close choice.

I'd definitely take the Lambo around the block a few times though.

06 GS300 Obsidian
07 GS350 GFM
http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sho...0&ppuser=14738
Ice350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 10:12 AM   #15
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice350 View Post
The Aventador is cool but it looks too much like a spaceship imo. I like exotics as much as the next guy but I like cars to look like cars. It has too many creases, vents, pointy shapes and wedge shapes. It's definitely cool but the LFA wins the style points category hands down.

Surely, the LFA is better at being a daily driver so that's another plus. Of all the exotics I have sat in, the LFA was the most comfy....unless you count the Bentley GT...which I don't.

Anyway, the LFA would be my choice between these 2. Not even a close choice.

I'd definitely take the Lambo around the block a few times though.
Agreed on Aventador's styling pov, hi tech look does not age well when hi tech definition changed. However, it is looking very good right now.
Old 11-29-11, 10:12 AM

Tags
aventador, car, club, daily, driver, forum, lamborghin, lamborghini, lamno, lexus, lfa, magazine, nordschleife, time, versus, yahoo