LFA Model (2012)

2/27/11 Lexus LFA Experience w/Scott Pruett - Infineon Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 05:51 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a first. An engine with 'no internal inertia'.
Old 03-04-11, 05:57 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
That's a first. An engine with 'no internal inertia'.
Yeah I think he meant less inertia...
Old 03-04-11, 06:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by motohide
Yeah I think he meant less inertia...
Almost correct since it was metaphorical term.

My car has a 7 lbs Fidanza flywheel (compared to stock 12 lbs flywheel) and it revs quicker than 99% cars on the road to 8400 rpm (maybe, I should make a video of me stomping it from 3000 rpm to 8400 rpm in 1st gear to show what I mean????).

Yet, it does not rev nearly as quick even to 8400 rpm as the LFA revs up to 9500 rpm. Again, that comes from personal experience.

So you can figure how much internal inertia is being propagated from the flywheel. In automotive engineering terms, that is what it is called metaphorically.

Anyone who is not well informed about this phenomeon being termed metaphorically. This is what was observed in testing for Carrera GT (which already is well known revs as quick as Lexus LFA):

"Although we tried our best, the Carrera is extremely hard to get off the line cleanly. The 5.7-liter V-10 engine has about zero inertia. Breathing on the gas pedal sends the revs soaring. Likewise, if you lift off, they plummet and stall the car. And the engine is all too willing to overpower the rear tires.

The clutch operates like an on/off switch and is tough to engage smoothly. Unlike a regular clutch that has only one friction disc, the GT has four and is about two-thirds the diameter (6.7 inches) of a standard 911 clutch."

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-04-11 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-04-11, 06:50 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

LOL! In the USA, anything with four wheels and paint on the skin that costs $400,000 is a widow maker. That is unless you are of middle eastern descent and have ordered 6 of them at once for each of your spouse, or if your wife's name is Danika.
Not sure what this means
If price were the topic, then in Toronto, you can't even buy a nice 2/2 condo with that amount.
My widow maker comment was more about the ability to wrap your exotic around a pole on some stationary object.
Old 03-04-11, 06:51 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Almost correct since it was metaphorical term.

My car has a 7 lbs Fidanza flywheel (compared to stock 12 lbs flywheel) and it revs quicker than 99% cars on the road to 8400 rpm (maybe, I should make a video of me stomping it from 3000 rpm to 8400 rpm in 1st gear to show what I mean????).:
Thanks, I wasn't discrediting anything and I know exactly what you mean. I've driven Formula Atlantic and Formula Suzuki and yes they "feel like" the flywheel has "no inertia" too. I was just trying to get at the fact that, you did mean a metaphorical analogy than anything having zero inertia, which is in physics, impossible if there is matter and something is rotating.

Thanks for the clarification
Old 03-04-11, 06:53 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Not sure what this means
If price were the topic, then in Toronto, you can't even buy a nice 2/2 condo with that amount.
My widow maker comment was more about the ability to wrap your exotic around a pole on some stationary object.
Ahh, in that case, yes... LFA is among the best cars in the category of 'safe' ultra performance cars for the very reason I had written about.
Old 03-04-11, 08:44 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. You understood it correctly. I was only further elaborating. LFA also has 10 individual throttle bodies that are all independently controlled through their own respective electronics and computers for best throttle response.

Thanks, I wasn't discrediting anything and I know exactly what you mean. I've driven Formula Atlantic and Formula Suzuki and yes they "feel like" the flywheel has "no inertia" too. I was just trying to get at the fact that, you did mean a metaphorical analogy than anything having zero inertia, which is in physics, impossible if there is matter and something is rotating.

Thanks for the clarification

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-04-11 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-04-11, 08:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Wow! What a huge difference between Calgary and Toronto eh??

My condo in Calgary (1000 sq-ft) brand new in a posh area cost $285,000 back in 2007 and $15,000 were in upgrades I spent on.

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Not sure what this means
Old 03-04-11, 10:49 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Anyway another perspective of the same drift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgVsx...eature=related
Glad to see my video on CL finally, haha. It sure was an amazing day spent with an amazing car.
Old 03-05-11, 05:31 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Wow! What a huge difference between Calgary and Toronto eh??

My condo in Calgary (1000 sq-ft) brand new in a posh area cost $285,000 back in 2007 and $15,000 were in upgrades I spent on.
Yep in a good area (good schools, near subway etc...), your condo would be around 1/2 mil.
Old 03-07-11, 02:23 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i posted this in the other thread in the norcal section but i'm going to repost here as well...

first of all, i want to thank everyone who helped make this trip possible... ryan, jimmy, etc... awesome time guys!!!

driving up with all the norcal guys made the trip even better too... ryan and i had a great time waiting for all the guys to show up at mcd's... even while my passenger was KO'd from her trip... LoL

anyway... so on to the LFA experience. i can't claim to be anywhere near a pro at the track but i can't say i'm just an amateur either. i've done SCCA (C-street prepared), drag racing (87 supercharged mustang mentioned in Turbo mag, dec 1996 issue), road racing (multiple 600/750 cc motorcycles at more than 5 diff racetracks)... and i tinkered with some other cars here and there (including an MR2 turbo, a hardtop 6-speed twin turbo'd MKIV, hachi roku, IS300, etc...)... blah blah... so yeah, i have a little more driving experience than your ave enthusiast...

since i drive my IS F fairly regularly, i know what it can and cannot do... so when i hopped into the 2011, i knew i was going to be ok.
it's been at least 8 years since i've been to the track so i was VERY rusty. this was really apparent when the pro driver started putting some distance between his car and the car i was piloting. later he asked me about my driving history and i mentioned my motorcycle roadracing days. no wonder... my lines were too tight. apexes all off and what not... all in all, the car was very well behaved around the track. you could feel the weight of the car pushing at the and of the apex...but the tires held up and the traction control did it's job. very nicely done Lexus!!! i was very surprised and how tight you can corner these things with stock tires on!!!

so when i got into the LFA i took what he told me and i was determined to give it my all to see what this car could really do. i grabbed my co-pilot (she was very reluctant to go buy i kind of lied to her...told her i wasn't going to go fast at all... LoL)... and put my helmet on and got ready to go.

initially the car drives like a normal car. the suspension felt very tight and the power came on very smoothly. first turn, second turn...getting the feel of the car... then we open her up. WOW!!! when the power came on, it wasn't a forceful feeling...like a torquey V-8 not like a huge turbo charged beast... it was really smooth. unlike anything i ever got to pilot... simply amazing

got to the next turn very quickly and applied the brakes... another WOW!!! the braking power was amazing too... smooth and yet so powerful.

tossed it into the left hand turn and powered on at the end of the apex... the car just moves!!! repeat... and it does it's job sooo well!!!

the most impressive thing about the car to me was it's ability to keep it's composure. i managed to get it sidewards a few times and i just mashed the pedal knowing the car will "correct" itself... and it just does... even though it's moving sidewards, the car just goes where you point it. plain and simple.

i had a go pro to record the whole ordeal but alas, i failed to push the correct sequence and instead, i took a photo... not a video of my LFA drive. i was so sad. the footage would have been so classic. first of call, the video footage of me going around the track... second would have been the audio... my passenger screaming for me to stop the car... she begged me to slow down, let her out of the car... or she was going to beat the *** out of me when it was all over. hahaha... oh well... she got the ride of her life though!!!

thanks again for the awesome experience!!!

anyway...here's my contribution:

we still gotta upload the rest from the go pro but here's one:

http://www.vimeo.com/20533291

my vids from my iphone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyYbkaVaDBQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfkL7noJ4q0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO8OnVihSrg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa1OkSLOJBM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0twddTIwBaQ

i didn't really take many pics but here's my pics from my iphone or someone else's phone:

the two LFA vehicles we got to drive... i got to drive the yellow one!!!

me and my LFA... well, the one i drove anyway... haha...

my co-pilot...

pep talk...

add ur own caption... LoL!!!

us...

from the go pro... the pic i took instead of the video... *sigh*
Old 03-07-11, 04:03 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool write up. Wish I could go to one of these events.
Old 03-07-11, 09:28 PM
krew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
from the go pro... the pic i took instead of the video... *sigh*
At least it's an awesome photo!
Old 03-07-11, 09:40 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by krew
At least it's an awesome photo!
haha... yeah but imagine how much better it would be if it was a VIDEO!!!
Old 03-07-11, 10:32 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I have worked for Lexus for 10 years now, as a technician. I have seen the introduction of the IS300, the LS430, and other models over the years. Never have i seen a product like the LFA. Obviously its a car dedicated to a particular market. I believe its much more than that though. I think this is Lexus' way of showing the world that it is capable of building anything. They can compete in every market, and win. Period.

Id like to thank Ryan B for inviting us, and Jimmy and the rest of the Lexus staff for making it all possible. Id also like to thank Scott Pruett for lending his driving skills and expertise. You truely know what you are doing behind the wheel!

Driving the ISF on the track was insane. I have a whole new respect for the ISF. I had no idea it could be driven that hard and come out shining. We were lucky enough to get a ride-along in the ISF with Scott Pruett. There were moments when i was scared, to say the least. That man can drive. That car is insane.

The LFA was so much more than i could have expected from Lexus. Being that it is their first entry into the exotic market, they knocked it out of the park. The car revs to effortlessly, shifts so smoothly, and excelerates like a rocket. The vehicles we drove were pre-production cars, so the actual production models will be even better. I can only sum up the LFA in one word: insane.

Will post more pics soon...

Scott Pruett

The cars we drove. Pretty amazing to stand on the start/finish line.

Tires on one of the ISFs we destroyed, only 300 miles on them.

We were all pretty excited!

Here is a ride-aling with Scott Pruett in the ISF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm-FxbdjPog

Here is a video of the LFA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgVsx0y81Qw

Quick Reply: 2/27/11 Lexus LFA Experience w/Scott Pruett - Infineon Raceway