LFA Model (2012)

Option Auto Teaser: LFA Japanese test + Fuji lap

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Hmmmm....well that is what the ODO says in the video.

This definitely does look like the same LFA that was used in Best Motoring video. Same color seats etc.
i am not saying it's impossible, i am just saying it's really tons of miles in 8 weeks if it's the same car.
Old 06-06-11, 05:00 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't the LFA in the BM have red calibers? This one is yellow on yellow! And if I must say, they MATCH nicely! I forgot to post this but it looks like the best lap was the 1:54.626 afterall, unless we get another video showing otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f39Q82rwl40

this is a different car, the interior is orange in the BM video. The giveaway is the steering wheel is BLACK in this car, and orange in the BM LFA.

Last edited by TF109B; 06-06-11 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 05:17 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
5000 miles in 8 weeks is a lot of driving for most cars, let alone a car like this in japan
With all the promo drives and comparisons, anyone who gets the car for a day with drive it as much as they can. I mean Fuji speedway is 2.7mi, so it would be pretty easy to rack up 50 laps for a days test driving which would amount to 270mi for a day. I think it would be entirely possible with the amount of track time it seems to be getting.

I could be very wrong, but that is my thoughts.
Old 06-06-11, 06:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
With all the promo drives and comparisons, anyone who gets the car for a day with drive it as much as they can. I mean Fuji speedway is 2.7mi, so it would be pretty easy to rack up 50 laps for a days test driving which would amount to 270mi for a day. I think it would be entirely possible with the amount of track time it seems to be getting.

I could be very wrong, but that is my thoughts.
hahah if the owner of the lfa is that much into tracking or willing to give his car out to be driven, of course. like i said, driving 5000 miles in 8 weeks is very much possible. but how likely, that's the question

and yes, this car has yellow calipers. i forgot what kind of calipers the one in BM video has. never bother to check
Old 06-06-11, 09:06 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

hahah if the owner of the lfa is that much into tracking or willing to give his car out to be driven, of course. like i said, driving 5000 miles in 8 weeks is very much possible. but how likely, that's the question

and yes, this car has yellow calipers. i forgot what kind of calipers the one in BM video has. never bother to check
Ahh, now I see where everyone is coming from. I thought this was a promo car and not a customers.
Old 06-06-11, 10:27 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Definitely, a half second improvement over the Kinosheita lap time, but still slow considering where high end performance cars perform on that track in the 1:50 - 1:53 region.

In the teaser video, they had blurred out the 'last lap' next to the 'best lap' so I was thinking the 'last lap' will be much quicker, which is why it was blurred out.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Didn't the LFA in the BM have red calibers? This one is yellow on yellow! And if I must say, they MATCH nicely! I forgot to post this but it looks like the best lap was the 1:54.626 afterall, unless we get another video showing otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f39Q82rwl40

this is a different car, the interior is orange in the BM video. The giveaway is the steering wheel is BLACK in this car, and orange in the BM LFA.
Old 06-07-11, 10:46 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Well, it may yet be quicker. It seems to me this is a pre-production car. Thats why the high mileage. It could be one from the 'LFA race' at Fuji we saw a while back. If the production car is supposedly faster than the pre-production car it might need some more breaking in? Or not. I think it's a decent time.
Old 06-08-11, 11:29 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TF109B
Well, it may yet be quicker. It seems to me this is a pre-production car. Thats why the high mileage. It could be one from the 'LFA race' at Fuji we saw a while back. If the production car is supposedly faster than the pre-production car it might need some more breaking in? Or not. I think it's a decent time.
I wish LFA had some serious rubber on its wheels. Michelin Pilot Super Sport would have been the ideal tires for LFA. Even though, they are not slick tires and as good in the rain, Michelin demo'ed how they even outperform slick tires of other brands (Potenza RE50A etc.).
Old 06-08-11, 03:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I wish LFA had some serious rubber on its wheels. Michelin Pilot Super Sport would have been the ideal tires for LFA. Even though, they are not slick tires and as good in the rain, Michelin demo'ed how they even outperform slick tires of other brands (Potenza RE50A etc.).

You do realize the Michelin Pilot Super Sports only became available for sale April of this year right? Bridgestone was already locked in as a tire supplier for LFA well beyond the time the Pilot Sport 3/Super Sports. I just got my Pilot Super Sports for my IS F just last month. The Potenza S001s are serious rubber that Lexus selected. It's a done deal and wont change until an owner decides he wants to change them out.
Old 06-08-11, 04:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Hmmmm....well that is what the ODO says in the video.

This definitely does look like the same LFA that was used in Best Motoring video. Same color seats etc.
And no they are not the same car. The BM car had the purple/blackish brown alcantara on the console. This car has black leather instead.
Old 06-08-11, 04:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by flipside909
You do realize the Michelin Pilot Super Sports only became available for sale April of this year right? Bridgestone was already locked in as a tire supplier for LFA well beyond the time the Pilot Sport 3/Super Sports. I just got my Pilot Super Sports for my IS F just last month. The Potenza S001s are serious rubber that Lexus selected. It's a done deal and wont change until an owner decides he wants to change them out.
in 05rollar's mind there is nothing but rubber. it makes it all
Old 06-08-11, 07:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

My personal opinion, ofcourse and not necessary for anyone to agree on it with me.

Ofcourse, tires are what truly put the power down to the asphalt and are the final link in the chain and especially in the case of a RWD car. I have experienced it over the years first hand how much difference tires can make on the same car.

in 05rollar's mind there is nothing but rubber. it makes it all

Regarding PSS, it is my understanding the PSS were the tire of choice in the development (also OEM tire) on the 599 GTO, which first came out in 2009. They performed so well that they became the OEM tires for the 458 Italia as well (replacing the S001 tires).

Enjoy the PSS on your IS-F.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/EN...lot_SuperSport

Originally Posted by flipside909

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-08-11 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-10-11, 10:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

My case is vindicated today.

ZR-1 now recorded a new fastest lap of 7:19. So what was the difference here that dropped the lap time by 8 seconds?

GM now made the new generation Michelin Pilot Sport Cup super-slick tires standard OEM tire on the ZR-1 and ran the lap with these tires on while previously max performance Michelin Pilot PS2 tires were the OEM tires.

Same Pilot Cup tires are also OEM tires now on the Z06.
Old 06-10-11, 11:17 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I thought Pilot Sport Cups were a no-no in the rain.
Old 06-10-11, 11:38 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
I thought Pilot Sport Cups were a no-no in the rain.
Well, they work in the rain. Just not nearly as well as summer performance tires and also are noisy on the road. All of the Porsche GT cars come standard with these tires.

No doubt, there is definitely that trade-off for all that tenacious grip.

Quick Reply: Option Auto Teaser: LFA Japanese test + Fuji lap