Sponsored by:

FAQs on stereo upgrades for Lexus - help needed-DIY included

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 09:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Question FAQs on stereo upgrades for Lexus - help needed-DIY included

OK Lexus audio experts. We keep seeing the same questions over and over in this forum. I think we need to build an FAQ for each model (or at least the more active ones on this forum). Simple stuff, not very subjective.

What is the stock speaker size for a year CCYY Lexus XXXXX.?
What is the largest speaker I can fit in the door of my XXXX?
How big is the subwoofer in my X?
Can I override the DVD player in my X?

So... anybody that has an FAQ they'd like to sugest (I might come ask you for the answer later, too) for any model, post it up here and we'll assemble it over time and sticky it. Think of things you see asked and answered over and over.
Old 07-17-03, 09:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Topic- Sc Nak Changer.

Yes it is broken.

Serously, if they skip or only play certain disks, the lasar can be "Professionally " cleaned and it might help. (the spinning brush disk only knocks the lasar more out of alignment).

Most of the time with the years accumulated on these vehicles the lasar has just had it's time and it's time to replace it.

which indirectly leads to the next answer.....

No, you can't use an aftermarket changer off of your Nak head unit unless you plan on running a modulator, then you can use any you want.

again, leading to the next answer.....

NO, it won't sound as good that way.

The biggest question of all time......... YES, they do make a FIT KIT for your SC and you need to contact EMERALD for it.

again leading to the obvious question.....

No, you most likely will never find a harness for the new radio. Hardwire it.
The following users liked this post:
Marque400S (01-09-20)
Old 07-19-03, 08:07 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

C'mon guy's! Help ol' uncle Dave out here. he's looking to do something for this forum. Does this prove everyone is just guessing? I know there are people here with info in your heads, let's dig and get something rolling. the faq is a great idea to cut down on wasting bandwith with repetetive questions.

Here's a place where you can go to find out info on wiring relays, installing security systems, building subwoofer boxes, etc..etc...

http://the12volt.com/

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-19-03 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-23-03, 10:03 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LINE LEVEL HACK FAQ

Here are some of my favorite links for people who aren't so good with the search tool about using the stock headunit and aftermarket amps.

This is for the SC specifically, but can be adapted for other models if you have the wiring diagram. Speaking of which, that's another FAQ. I got a wiring diagram faxed to me by contacting my service rep at the local lexus dealer and being polite on the phone.

Also, this doesn't work with the Pioneer system on 2nd gen GS's because the factory amp is too involved with the CD changer functions.

The original Line level hack for SC

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=13182

Details about it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=32152

Who's hosting it now?

http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf

OH, another thing. Can I add a stock CD changer if I don't have the CD changer button on my stereo?

NOPE. Sorry.
Old 07-24-03, 03:35 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SPEAKER SIZES - 1st gen GS

Still need quite a few speaker sizes for your FAQ, too.

Factory speaker sizes:

FRONT: 4" components
REAR: 4"ers

(if you make your own baffle you can get larger sizes to fit. Most owners go for 5.25")

SUB: 10" fits into the stock location (maybe 12" - run a search to be sure).

one model down, quite a few to go....hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
Arumako (07-28-18)
Old 07-30-03, 09:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Just a good link to throw in:

http://www.caraudiosearch.com/
Old 08-25-03, 12:33 PM
3GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first gen gs3 can hold 6.5 in the front doors(i know this for a fact since i had a pair of 6.5" speakers in mine) and a 10" sub in the rear (some trimming will be necessary if u plan to surface mount)..u can cut the rear deck out to fit up to a pair of large 12" subs...if u wanna use a 12" in the rear u will need to build a spacer for it to work..the depth u have to work with is maybe 6 to 6.5" before u have to worry about the gas tank..if u do any major mods be sure to take into account the fuel pump wires, IIRC they will have to be cut if u want alot of space back there because the wires run right down to the middle of the fuel tank...the stock panel that covers the fuel tank cannot be used if u use large basket subs in the trunk (like velodyne 12" for example)..

the dash will easily fit a dvd player and a flip out screen...the stock brackets will need to be drilled for this to work if u want the equipment to be flush mounted...be sure u know what your doing when u work on the stereo because the SRS light will come on if your not careful...the good part is that most dealers will reset this for free if u tell them what happened....

unless u use time alignment it will be a task to get the stage centered over the dash correctly because of the shape of the dash...the tweeter cutouts in the doors will hold a nice 1" tweeter with very little problem....

if u install a sub the rear deck cardboard will need to be dynamatted and sponge pasted to it or it will make a slight vibration which can get annoying...

just thought i'd add...this car is incredibly well insulated and it is also already matted...unless u have an unreal amount of air movement the car will NOT vibrate on the outside....u might hear a slight midrange coming out but no bass....the front is nearly entirely matted and has up to 2" of foam in some areas of the mat...u will, however, need to mat the inside skin of the doors where u have speakers and the rear deck if u dont cut it out and replace it with something thicker....

to get a large wire in the car it is easiest to go from the battery to the firewall and then across the car to where the main loom enters the firewall....put a lot of KY silk jel on your power wire and push it in with the loom...it will end up under the dash above the computer(which is bolted right up against the firewall area on the passenger side)...

Last edited by 3GSLEX; 08-25-03 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-29-03, 10:21 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!
Old 10-12-03, 09:15 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=onelasttry
Old 10-22-03, 07:58 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

1993 SC300...

4" components up front, 4" in the rear deck; factory 10" free-air sub in rear deck "in front" of third brake light.

Removal of Factory sub:
Some ppl take out the whole deck panel (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...r+deck+removal), but I jus shifted it around and finagled it till I got the sub to come out. First, take off the third brake light/speaker grill. Do this by poppin the front edn (end furthest from the glass) up with whatever (I used my fingers), the slide it towards you and flip over to unplug the light harness. I couldn't get the plug to come off of the grill, so I jus broke the clip holding it on. It works/looks no different. Next, there are 4 screw-type bolts holding the sub down to the actual metal in theh rear deck. Unscrew them using a (11mm?) socket...not sure if that's the correct size. Jus grab a 10, 11, and 12 mm socket to bring to the backseat as getting in and out a lot is a pain. After you get the screws out, just lift the whoel subwoofer structure out; you will have to work a lil at this since you didn't remove the panel. It's no big deal, just bend the panel a bit, but be careful not to make it FUBAR. Take it somewhere comfortable to site, and CAREFULLY pry the huge plastic ring off the top. I'f you careful enough, and hella lucky, the surround to the sub will stick to the metal, not the plastic. Once the plastic is free, you should have easy access to 4 (I think) more screws hold the sub and metal bracket together. take them apart, re-install the metal bracket (without the sub, of course ), HOOK THE BRAKE LIGHT BACK UP, and attach the light/grill assembly to the deck. VIOLA!! You're done.

Aslo, here is a GREAT site if you plan on removing your factory head unit yourself... it also has plans for removing CD changers and stuff.. I dunno if this has good stuff for the other Lex owners, but it does for the SC3/400. http://www.carstereohelp.com/strlexus.htm
Old 11-06-03, 08:17 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default INFO ON ES300 Factory AMP

Wiring Diagram for 97-99 ES300 factory amp located behind glove box. Post has pics of wiring and labeled color codes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...00+factory+amp
Old 11-20-03, 08:34 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990-1994 LS400's

4" component speakers in the front doors.
4" speakers in the rear doors.

Where can I get a mounting kit and wiring harness for my LS?
http://www.sfxaudio.com

The wiring harness I used is a Scosche TA02B. This takes care of the basics, but not the sub. I'm not sure about the CD changer.

My tutorial on installing an aftermarket stereo: http://www.lexls.com/head_unit.html

Last edited by Earl!; 08-26-04 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-30-03, 02:36 PM
kap0ne
Rookie

in my 98 ls400 i have 51/4 for the fronts and the same for the rears
Old 12-23-03, 08:30 PM
JUSROLLIN
Rookie

How do I hook the power antenna up to my aftermarket headunit in my 92-96 ES300?

Look at the pin side of the stock plug that has the two plastic dividers on the long row of pins. Look at it with the row of seven pins (divided into a group of four and a group of three) on top. The pin on the right is number one, and the one below it from this view is number eight. Splice these two wires together, and connect them to the power antenna lead on your aftermarket headunit. If you hook it up to the remote wire (headunit not equipped with a power antenna lead), the antenna will be up the entire time the deck is on. If your deck is equipped with a remote, and a power antenna lead, and you connect these two wires to the antenna lead, the antenna will go down during CD operation.

Just FYI- On that same plug, main power is pin 4, ILL is pin 2, the switch power with the key (ACC) is pin 3, and ground is pin 11. Looking at this plug from the view described above sets the pins up like this
7/6/5 4/3/2/1
15/14 13/12/11/10 9/8
I can't get this to appear on my post right, but the #1 pin is directly above #8

Hope this helps someone out.
Brandon

Last edited by JUSROLLIN; 12-23-03 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-23-03, 11:43 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Apparently the SC uses the same wiring harness as the LS; but should I get the TA02 (male plug) or TA02R (female plug)? I'd rather not dive into this only to find out I have the wrong adapter... Also, SC owners can get a "face plate" or adapter face or whatever else you want to call it here:
http://www.importtoys.com/pimp/lexus...stomSCdash.htm

Also, refer to http:/www.carstereohelp.com/ for install/removal help and wiring diagrams.

EDIT, Jan 22 2004: That Import Toys panel looks decent, but it's a little flimsy and pops out place. In my opinion, it's not worth $40; but if you need a panel to fill the space, then you should def. consider this piece.

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 02-17-04 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: FAQs on stereo upgrades for Lexus - help needed-DIY included