Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/gx470specs.html
Old 01-21-04, 10:12 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Default wiring aftermarket headunit to NAK system

*installing from sc300 nakamichi setup*

First off, DO NOT buy the scosche/metra toyota harness. It may work for the speakers, but it does not have any of the power wires on it. Because Im amping all my speakers, I decided to forego effort of figuring out which harness wire goes to what speaker. In either case, here are the wire colors for everything youll need to wire in a unit.

When you remove the stock headunit, four plugs will come out. You will only need the leftmost one. It is the one with the most but smallest terminals.
I used some quick splices to tap into the wires

Constant 12V (+) - Blue/Yellow
Ignition Switched 12V (+) - Grey
Antenna - Pink/Blue AND Pink/Green
ILL 12V (+) - Green
Ground ( - ) - Simply crimp on a ring connector to the stereo harness and ground under the bolt to the body directly under the stereo - no need to tap that.

All these will be found on the left side of the leftmost plug. For the antenna, tap into both wires and connect the two, then connect that to the lead from the stereo harness. If your stereo harness does not have a lead like mine did, you have two options. You can connect it to your remote turn on for the amps but it will always be up when your headunit is powered on. Or you can do as I did and run it through a switch then to the cigarette lighter power. This way, its only up when you want it to be up.

Finally remembered to finish my post. Sorry for the delay guys.

Last edited by rscott; 09-09-04 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-21-04, 11:39 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I've been driving around for a few days without a working antenna!lol, thanks a lot, I didn't realize that there are two wires for it!!

EDIT, Feb 4, 2004 - Finished installing all of my speakers this past weekend. Here's an "FAQ"-type link to a thread I made. Enjoy! SC300/400 Speaker Removal and Installation

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 02-04-04 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-14-04, 10:04 PM
altran
Rookie

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
Apparently the SC uses the same wiring harness as the LS; but should I get the TA02 (male plug) or TA02R (female plug)? I'd rather not dive into this only to find out I have the wrong adapter... Also, SC owners can get a "face plate" or adapter face or whatever else you want to call it here:
http://www.importtoys.com/pimp/lexus...stomSCdash.htm

Also, refer to http:/www.carstereohelp.com/ for install/removal help and wiring diagrams.

EDIT, Jan 22 2004: That Import Toys face is cheap and poorly made. It looks decent, but it's flimsy and pops out place. It's not worth $40; I'm looking into a BETTER way to make these. I'll let you know... I'll also take pics this weekend of what it looks like and post.

Theres no way it could physically pop out. because the 4 tabs to align the panel for securing are wider than dash opening. The panel is thick enough to look "OEM factory" but has to be built to let customer or installer cut it.

It sounds to me like an installation was attempted by altering the insert panel (by) removing tabs. Please leave tabs on. the console surround has to be removed to fit panel correctly. DO NOT cut tabs to avoid removing surround, if you do there is no way to secure insert panel to surround.

------- Be safe, your wheel will fall off if you do not mount them proper----------

i just suggest that people get professional to help install if you cannot do so correctly or you may contact me at PI if you are in need of help. I am pro installer of car audio.

I would search here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=radio+filler

here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=106166

here: https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1

here: https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1

Regards, Alex Tran Manager @
Preferred Image Motoring Products
preferred_Image@yahoo.com (atten: ALEX)
Old 02-16-04, 08:21 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Allow me to rephrase:

It does not pop out from the front (into the cabin), correct. I did not touch the tabs as far as cutting them. However, it does not fit perfectly, and when it "snaps" into place, one of the top corners pops back out (like back into the cavity where the AC unit and CD player reside.). I pushed the oppostie corner out a little, too, so that it at least looks even, but it does sit a little too far back into the cavity. I guess it makes sense that the panel be thin since it must be easily cut. I think I was just expecting something thicker.

Altran:
Is this your product? Just wondering. If so, sorry to flame you!!
Old 02-16-04, 11:30 PM
altran
Rookie

No flame

If popped out, that is mounting flaw, not design flaw. It is molded product from metal tooling for fit to spec.. Much time was spent to create tooling. It was made for pro install since we have no idea what people will mount in dash. some have done LCD screen or Apex units or gauges or aftermarket stereo.
Product sits flush with surround like OEM deck. please view ppictures above as they are perfect examples of proper installation.

This sounds like it's upside down or even backwards if its reccessed?. something very ez to do. best to look at the profile area of oem deck and inser piece to find out what side goes up. I think it is something company should should address with instructions. I will start to include.

I answered email yesterday from customer. my reply was it's upside down.
Miss Emerald designed right here inhouse for sc400 cars. I am the manager here.
if you need help email me: preferred_Image@yahoo.com (atten: Alex) or sc400Tuner@yahoo.com (Atten:Alex)

thank you & good luck with new stereo.

Alex
Old 02-17-04, 01:50 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

The two pics you posted (#1 and#2 ) have the two top tabs completely cut out, it appears. My HU is more centered, so the top tabs are still there (which is where it pops out).
I'm sorry for saying I'm not 100% satisfied with your product, but I'm not. I'd say more like 80%, which is still well above acceptable, IMO. The filler plate is properly installed - I cannot be installed upside down because the shape of the panel is not a perfect square/rectangle, it is wider at the top than bottom. I don't know how it could be backwards. It's pretty easy to put in, if you have any common sense. I really don't see how it could be done wrong.

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 02-17-04 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-17-04, 04:06 AM
altran
Rookie

Very frustrating to read when so much effort was put into creating. anything can be done wrong at times.

(1)Tabs on the insert make it physically bigger than opening. IMPOSSIBLE to "Pop out" forward unless broken. Error is in mounting technique. It sounds to me like the item was not secured to your dash surround at all if it popped out forward or backwards (2)All aftermarket decks are same width.(3) Deck pictured is centered,even used factory trim ring it looks like. Very clean looking

There are people who email & ask which way it goes in. these are not people without common sense. They simply have not done custom installation before. This is ok. they email and ask questions.

I have question: Did you just set the insert in there without securing it? yes, It fits snug enough to stay in place and not move after you've made measurments. you then secure the insert to the dash surround. Some use U-channels, silicone or simply a dab of glue on the tabs. if mounted like this theere is no reason why it would pop out. very,very easy installation.

We have tried to make it as easy as possible without going to consumors home. Please take installations to professional if its is too hard for you to mount. DIY is fine, but ask questions if you need help.

Alex Tran SC400Tuner@yahoo.com (Atten:Alex)

Last edited by altran; 02-17-04 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-17-04, 01:27 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by altran
Very frustrating to read when so much effort was put into creating. anything can be done wrong at times.

(1)Tabs on the insert make it physically bigger than opening. IMPOSSIBLE to "Pop out" forward unless broken. Error is in mounting technique. It sounds to me like the item was not secured to your dash surround at all if it popped out forward or backwards (2)All aftermarket decks are same width.(3) Deck pictured is centered,even used factory trim ring it looks like. Very clean looking

There are people who email & ask which way it goes in. these are not people without common sense. They simply have not done custom installation before. This is ok. they email and ask questions.

I have question: Did you just set the insert in there without securing it? yes, It fits snug enough to stay in place and not move after you've made measurments. you then secure the insert to the dash surround. Some use U-channels, silicone or simply a dab of glue on the tabs. if mounted like this theere is no reason why it would pop out. very,very easy installation.

We have tried to make it as easy as possible without going to consumors home. Please take installations to professional if its is too hard for you to mount. DIY is fine, but ask questions if you need help.

Alex Tran SC400Tuner@yahoo.com (Atten:Alex)
I meant centered vertically, like my deck is about 1.5 inches lower than the one pictured. I know all decks are the same width. Also, I'm not trying to say that your other customers do not have common sense, I apologize for that. To me, though, it would be very difficult to install your piece upside down because, like I said, the top is wider than the bottom.

It is not broken, it does not pop out forwards. I said this earlier.

It is not too hard for me to mount. I did so with no problems other than this. I'm fairly experienced at installing stereo components; ex. the link in my sig to speaker installation.

I will try what you said with a stronger glue, perhaps Epoxy. Hopefully that will sufficiently secure it onto the console/dash.

Thank you for your time and help,
Matt
Old 02-17-04, 01:38 PM
altran
Rookie

yes,thank you. Please email me anytime if you are in need of help or after/exchange new ideas.

because of this thread I will detail several more mounting options to go out with product.

We just want everyone to look clean.

Alex
Old 02-20-04, 12:24 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

Default Re: wiring aftermarket headunit to NAK system

Originally posted by rscott
First off, DO NOT buy the scosche/metra toyota harness. It may work for the speakers, but it does not have any of the power wires on it. Because Im amping all my speakers, I decided to forego effort of figuring out which harness wire goes to what speaker. In either case, here are the wire colors for everything youll need to wire in a unit.

When you remove the stock headunit, four plugs will come out. You will only need the leftmost one. It is the one with the most but smallest terminals.
I used some quick splices to tap into the wires

Constant 12V (+) - Blue/Red
Ignition Switched 12V (+) -
Antenna - Pink/Blue AND Pink/Green
ILL 12V (+) -
Ground ( - ) - Simply crimp on a ring connector to the stereo harness and ground under the bolt to the body directly under the stereo - no need to tap that.

All these will be found on the left side of the leftmost plug. For the antenna, tap into both wires and connect the two, then connect that to the lead from the stereo harness. If your stereo harness does not have a lead like mine did, you have two options. You can connect it to your remote turn on for the amps but it will always be up when your headunit is powered on. Or you can do as I did and run it through a switch then to the cigarette lighter power. This way, its only up when you want it to be up.

**To be continued** (off work)
would u happen to know which antenna wires are for the factory pioneers, also in which clip? because its not the same as the nakamichi's.
Old 02-20-04, 06:18 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

look for the same colors. Toyota usually keeps a standard. To test them, use a piece of wire to connect them together in the plug and then touch a +12v source. If the antenna goes up, you found it. Im not 100% sure though. It took me a while to figure out which was which
Old 02-20-04, 11:01 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

haha. yeah i've been driving around for about 4 months w/ out my power antenna. thanks for the post. i'll look into it next weekend.
i've been asking this question on the forums ever since i got my HU installed. how come no one makes a 1.5 Din pocket? i would like to use that space there, not fill it with a filler. i've seen a thread earlier with a european SC owner (Londonbill i think) who had a 1.5 din pocket retrofitted from a peugeot, or some euro car, into his hole. after i saw that pic, i can't settle with a single Din pocket or a 1.5 Din filler piece. there must be one around.
Old 02-21-04, 08:07 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

Originally posted by rscott
look for the same colors. Toyota usually keeps a standard. To test them, use a piece of wire to connect them together in the plug and then touch a +12v source. If the antenna goes up, you found it. Im not 100% sure though. It took me a while to figure out which was which
i hope they are the same colors, ill look again once i take out the radio. but if anyone can get me the diagram for that, that would be cool. it's not in the intellectual wiring diagram...
Old 02-22-04, 12:04 AM
no2faber
Lead Lap

wait.. i'm not sure if i know what you're asking. i think the antenna wires are the two wires that are shown in the bottom right of the picture on the intellectual site. they are separate from the four clips. there's a big one and a small one. one should plug right into the antenna jack for your aftermarket HU, but the other one is for the power i believe, and that's what you need to hardwire into the lead.

edit: the small one i found out later is the diversity antenna. the power antenna is a blue/white cable somwhere in the sea of cables coming from the four harnesses.

Last edited by no2faber; 09-03-04 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: FAQs on stereo upgrades for Lexus - help needed-DIY included