Sponsored by:

Android Double Din

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 08:03 AM
702GS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Android Double Din

Found these guys on ebay, and started to search for a more name brand android unit. Crazy, nobody makes a full android head unit that you would know the brand, they are all over in china.

With that being said, having a full android unit has benefits, and I was wondering has anyone installed one?

This seems to be the latest version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Android-4-2-2-DIN-Car-DASH-DVD-Player-GPS-Navigation-Stereo-Radio-WiFi-F-/331346866033?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_GPS&hash=item4d25cfef71
These guys are saying that a Android 4.4 version is coming out soon, not sure if I should wait for that or just pull the trigger, its only a few hundred bucks.
Old 12-03-14, 09:25 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I'd never go with a unknown brand. You might end up kissing your hard earned money goodbye. So you save a few hundred bucks over say, Authorized Kenwood or Pioneer dealer that have compatible android stereo's such as the one I have a Kenwood DNX691HD, only for it to arrive in a malfunctioned state.
Then what? Uninstall it, write a couple emails, file a claim, pack it up, ship it back at your expense and then maybe wait for a refund or they send you a refurbished unit or another new one. Also from China? No, no, no. Hell, their embedding software viruses within the USB on those electronic vapor cigarettes.
NOT worth the head ache.

I went the dealer route and glad I did. The first unit broke in less than 16hrs. Dealer pulled it out the next day and threw in a new one. Very cool and stress free.
Old 12-04-14, 06:34 PM
702GS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya, and you make some valid points. However its just a few hundred dollars, not that bad if it goes bust. What I really like about them is the fact that it is 100% Android, which you say your device is "compatible android" can you explain more about that?

I just searched your device http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dnx691hd/ and see nothing about android.

Thanks
Old 12-05-14, 11:59 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Android/Apple double din is still very new to car stereo right now. The car stereo just got into HDMI input and probably another 5 years for fully functional Android/Apple into the car. I wouldn't try those Chinese brand and always hear about bad reviews about the product and it a lot of miss or hit type. I always stick with the name brand on the double din.
Old 12-05-14, 12:21 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 702GS
I hear ya, and you make some valid points. However its just a few hundred dollars, not that bad if it goes bust. What I really like about them is the fact that it is 100% Android, which you say your device is "compatible android" can you explain more about that?

I just searched your device http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dnx691hd/ and see nothing about android.

Thanks
I have a 2011 Motorola Droid RAZR with Kit Kat. Works flawlessly. Also the list of features on this IS amazing.
As far as compatabilty here is their website.
http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/bt/index.php
Mine isn't listed on there as the highest model # for Motorola they list is xt910 and mine is xt912 yet still works flawlessly.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 12-05-14 at 12:26 PM.