Sponsored by:

BEL STiR Install Description

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-14, 02:48 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default BEL STiR Install Description

Rickna asked me privately to send him some info and images of my BEL STiR install, but I can't figure out how to add images to a PM, so I thought I would post for all to see.

FYI, the control unit and indicator panel (which are hardly needed, since I have the remote switch and LED on the side of the console - if I get an alert and think I'm in the cross-hairs, I slow down and turn it off), is inside the console itself. I rely on the speaker, located in the trunk, to tell me what's going on. You'll notice that the entire array is located behind the grill on the bottom "shelf." I know that this is not ideal for the laser blockers, but placing them outside, on the bumper, is not really an option, both for aesthetics, and to avoid pissing off the bears. I figure better something than nothing. The plastic pieces under the head units are simply scraps of Lexan I had left over from another project, used to stiffen up the mounting base. All cables bundled and zip-tied, of course. The main cables are run up along upper right fender well into the cabin,

Minimal drilling (be verrrrrry careful not to push a bit through onto something important while it's spinning, of course), and the wiring is not difficult; the worst piece was getting the head unit cable through the firewall (i used a small electrician's snake to pull these through). I found a fuse that is energized only when the ignition is on on the left side. The interior trim pieces come off very easily, with only a gentle tug up and out. Slide, snake, tuck, and zip-tie the wires in the various interior grooves and spaces, and that's it. All in all, I think it's pretty invisible, and it does work!
Attached Thumbnails BEL STiR Install Description-stir4.jpg   BEL STiR Install Description-stir3.jpg   BEL STiR Install Description-stir1.jpg  

Last edited by shrinkwrap; 05-03-14 at 06:36 AM.