Sponsored by:

Subwoofer problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 06:23 PM
InvisibleM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer problem

This is a weird one. I recently built a ported subwoofer box and had a shop install it in the box and run the wiring to the head unit as i didnt have any experience doing so. BTW I also have the ML system already.

After I picked it up from the shop and while it hit most frequencies well, I noticed that the sub would cut out at certain frequencies and would not even come on below a certain volume. I talked to the shop and they said that they installed a wiring kit or something or other that was needed for the headunit to work and apparently the amp was being starved for voltage and i had to bring it back so they could run a different wiring setup.

Now the sub will come on at all volumes and will still hit the low notes well. But I also noticed that the sub wont hit certain midlevel at all that it was able to before. and if i turn the volume up and let it bump... after about half a minute all sub work will completely cease.

is there a short, a problem with the wiring, or is my amp just a piece of junk? (its a BOSS 2400 watt 4 chan) and im runnin it to one mid level Re Audio 12"

all i can say is i dont wanna mess with that shop anymore cuz they are on my last nerve
Old 07-10-13, 07:05 PM
inkredible
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post the specs of your setup: amp, box size, woofer size, wire gauge, wattage, ohms, and battery.

It sounds like your amp is going into auto protect from the gain being set to high, but without the above information it is hard to make an assessment.
Old 07-10-13, 07:17 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Settings at the amp would be most helpful. Gain and crossover specifically...... Boss amp is junk, for the record.
Old 07-10-13, 08:23 PM
InvisibleM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i had a feeling it was the amp. Its a Boss AR 2400 and I knew before I bought it that it was a piece of junk but at 65 bucks it was hard to say no since i knew it was only gonna be powering one sub. I didnt think THAT would be too much for it to handle.

after it wasnt getting enough voltage they ran straight power to the stock Lexus battery so its gotta be good on that end.

I built the L port box myself using the specs on the RE audio calculator. the box is rock solid but the one beef I have is that when they installed the sub they drilled a hole in the back of the box for the wires and never sealed it. I didnt think it was a problem since it is a ported box after all but I feel like all the air should be directed to one outlet. Its not a hole much larger than the wires so its not gaping but i still was concerned. 12 gauge wires to the amp from sub (RE RFX 12") and much larger from amp to battery.

as for the ohms... im really not sure cuz the amp is so damn long and mounted to the rear of the seats that I cant get in there to mess with it. Im thinkin i might just borrow a friends amp and swap em out to see how it differs.

im getting the impression this is all down to that ****ty *** amp
Old 07-10-13, 08:44 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Sounds like the impedance load on the amp is too low or the gain is too high. And even though it's a ported box, it still has to be airtight besides the port. Which is probably why some frequencies don't sound right.
Old 07-11-13, 08:02 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like a problem we were having. Read thru this thread and see if it sounds familiar. If so, the solution is at the end. I ordered one and will be installing it as soon as it comes in. Shibumi is a genius when it comes to the electrical issues and this sounds about right.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...rol-lc2-v.html