Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Better head unit or EQ/Crossover to keep low frequencies in rear speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 05:05 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Better head unit or EQ/Crossover to keep low frequencies in rear speakers?

Hello,
I am trying to improve my sound in my Sc400. I have a cheap BOSS replacement double din DVD head unit, a 10' aftermarket sub, An alpine MRP-F240 40x4 amp, and stock speakers. The head unit sends signal directly to the front speakers. There is an output that feeds the amp in the trunk which in turn feeds the rear deck speakers and the sub. It sounds pretty decent but any volume to the front speakers that contains low frequencies distorts the front speakers. My only choice is to keep fader towards rear.
I have not worked on my own audio in 15 years but what we would have done years ago was to insert an EQ between the head unit and the front speakers or run it all through EQs and crossovers.
Is it handled the same way these days? are there other options?

Do better modern head units allow you to EQ front speakers independently of the rear speakers?

What would be a good cost effective unit to handle this for me? I'll probably seek something used as I park on the street sometimes.

Thank You,
Old 02-17-13, 02:38 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Any audio people??
Old 03-02-13, 03:52 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Set your EQ in the HU to flat, or at least turn the bass levels down. This will likely clear up the front speakers. You should be able to adjust the settings on the amp to make the sub sound and rear speakers sound the way you want them to. My Kenwood has a 5 band EQ and the first two bands on the EQ are at -3 and -1 respectively. I still get plenty of mid bass from my doors with it set this way. If your sub stage is set up properly, you won't need the low frequencies cranked up on your EQ to hear it properly.