Sponsored by:

Speaker or amplifier problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 04:50 PM
AZ49Linda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker or amplifier problem?

If all 4 door speakers are silent but I have some sound from the subwoofer in back & small tweeters in the front doors, does that sould like the amplifier is shot? If I take it to an audio place I don't want them telling me it's something that it's not just to get more money out of me. I'm a real novice at this, so my terminology may be incorrect. I just bought the car & the audio was messed up when I got it. No idea how long it's been bad.
91 LS400
Old 02-29-12, 05:03 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ49Linda
If all 4 door speakers are silent but I have some sound from the subwoofer in back & small tweeters in the front doors, does that sould like the amplifier is shot? If I take it to an audio place I don't want them telling me it's something that it's not just to get more money out of me. I'm a real novice at this, so my terminology may be incorrect. I just bought the car & the audio was messed up when I got it. No idea how long it's been bad.
91 LS400
First, Welcome to the club!!!
Next, your issue is not simply solved by your explaination. Do you have a nakamichi or Pioneer system? if you have Pioneer the separate amp could be popped and the sub amp could be fine.
Give us some more info!
Old 03-04-12, 06:51 AM
tneig002
Rookie

As stated before, more information will help, but from the sound of things it's likely your speakers. At least in these cars, a front speaker system with faulty midranges but working tweeters would lead me to believe that the amplifier is ok (although given its age, likely nearly dead anyway).

First give us a little more information, but it's not going to hurt you to take it to a shop to have the speakers tested, at least. As long as you take it to a reputable shop, you should be fine.
Old 03-05-12, 07:41 PM
AZ49Linda
Driver School Candidate

It is a Nakamichi. I took it to a place that said it would run around $230 to replace the 4 speakers but if it's the amp it will run a lot more. They didn't 'check' it out but just did a quick listen to the speakers. What should I expect to pay if it's the amp? I miss having music!
Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-06-12, 09:40 AM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's hard to tell without testing each component, but it seems unlikely that the speakers would be the problem if ALL 4 midrange speakers are completely dead/unresponsive, but I'm not sure how the amp could be powering only the tweeter portion of the speakers. Maybe the built in crossover is messed up?

Anyway, you will need to get a professional to check the amp and speakers. It should not take them very long to determine the problem, I'd say 30 min or less, but my money is on the amplifier. Unfortunately, OEM stereo parts are expensive, so find out what the problem is then surf these forums or ebay to look for the part that you need replaced.
Old 04-28-12, 06:00 PM
HVW8
Driver School Candidate

i have the same problem, well sort of. i have a 91 ls400 with the nak system. and i installed a kenwood double din deck.

before i installed the deck i had all the tweets sub and 2 pass. side components.

now after the deck install i only have tweets and left components.

i assume amp issue, but i also read in my research into it. that it may be the car phones mute line is messed up?

before i really start tearing things apart, just wondering from anyone else with more exp.

(ive only had the car a week. )

Last edited by HVW8; 04-28-12 at 06:05 PM.