Sponsored by:

Old school audio gurus needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 10:19 AM
vipdream
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Old school audio gurus needed!

ok i know this question is something new so i hope you old school car audio gurus can help me out. i am holding on to a classic set and since all the items i have are discontinued i no longer know the worth, but i know people who love the old school made in usa sound would know! so if anyone can give me a legit and honest input on the set i have i would really appreciate it! what i am holding is :

(2) S12l7 kicker 12" subs (old school red n white logo on center not new black n silver)

ppi pcx power prescion 2400 watt amp (you can still good specs) long board old school all silver

also have a 15" in same brand n type.

if anyone can help me out that would really help on the retail on these items BRAND new in box. thanks guys

Last edited by vipdream; 02-26-11 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-26-11, 10:59 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

The amp used to retail for around $1400, the subs (12") for about $400.

They won't command anywhere near that pricing now, though, even if new and you'd have to have proof (retail receipt) showing you bought them new if you sell them here. Realistically, the amp is worth about $300-400, as they would sell used for $500 8 years ago. On the subs I'd need pics to see that the surrounds aren't rotted. I know they're not foam, but sitting stagnant can affect them, especially if not in a temp controlled environment (like a shop storeroom).

Where did you come across brand new stock, anyway?

Big Mack
Old 02-26-11, 12:44 PM
vipdream
Driver School Candidate

bought it when kicker was still made in usa. came back home to cali and my set was still here while i was up north in sac. been tempted whether to sell or install.. thanks for the input
Old 02-26-11, 02:45 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea thats the problem with electronics especially car electronics until they become antiques (collectables) they aint worth much past brand new first released.
Old 02-26-11, 03:36 PM
vipdream
Driver School Candidate

i would assume the same. but once people saw what i actually had, it is tempting to drop 1200 on a system that is strong reliable and rare. that is around the price range i am offered for that one system.
Old 02-26-11, 04:19 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Not sure who would offer that, as it's a lot of coin for two subs and an amp. Even at top dollar, that's about $900 in today's market, and that's being generous. If you've got someone legitimately offering you $1200, jump on it because it's not going to be around for long - especially online.

Big Mack
Old 02-27-11, 07:44 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vipdream
i would assume the same. but once people saw what i actually had, it is tempting to drop 1200 on a system that is strong reliable and rare. that is around the price range i am offered for that one system.
Yup treat that like some risky stocks you bought back in the day and they have just peaked..... SELL! SELL! SELL!
Old 02-27-11, 11:10 AM
vipdream
Driver School Candidate

how much do you think i should ask for 2 12" with 15" and amp as a total?
Old 02-27-11, 11:49 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Not sure who would offer that
answer: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/
Old 02-27-11, 12:10 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll preface this by saying that I am not tyring to "diss" you or cause problems in any way. But...

The Precision Power amp you refer to is hardly "old school". When PPI made this amp their quality was questionable at best. They were still riding the coattails of their older amps. Had you had an art series then maybe you would see some cash. Bottom line the PCX series were low level mediocre stuff for the masses.

As for the subs.

I'm not super up on Kicker but are you referring to the first edition L7's that were square with a red logo? If so they suffer from a major factory default. The tinsel leads seperate from the voice coil under lower wattage conditions than the rated RMS wattage. Decent subs but really nothing special at all. Even after the leads are repaired.

I agree with Mack on the high end of the pricing but I honestly see them selling for much less.
Old 02-27-11, 07:58 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd have to agree with the poster above. When it comes to PPI amps, you need to have the series before the PCX. The PC4100, PC2100 and such with the dark grey color. Or, you need to have the "Art Series" amps. The Art Series are in good demand.