Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Subs turn off with higher volume...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 04:13 PM
aporozco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs turn off with higher volume...?

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I have a pioneer HU and Fosgate Punch 250.2 amp powering two generic ebay fosgate subs. I dont know their power rating cause they said 300 watts but its ebay bs. Anyways, when I turn em up loud or crank up the bass on the HU the amp has a thermal function and turns off. I think its to prevent blowing the suns...? IDK.

Does anyone know why this happens or if I can change some setting on the amp so that it doesn't do this? Thanks ya'll.
Old 10-04-10, 04:54 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are your subs wired to the amp (4 ohm, 2 ohm)? Where are the amp gains set to?

Did you buy your amp brand new or used?
Old 10-04-10, 06:46 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your impedance load is too low for your amp.
Old 10-04-10, 04:58 PM
aporozco
Driver

the amp was new, although its like two years old now. It's wired two ohms.

If my impedance is too low, how do I change that? does that just mean the amp is too powerful for my subs then? or is it my subs too powerful for my amp?

Thanks guys
Old 10-05-10, 11:11 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Well, you don't wire the amp at 2 ohms. You wire the drivers to show a specific impedance to the amp.

You may have your speakers wired to show a 2 ohm load. If the amp is not stable at 2 ohms then it will go into protection mode at higher volume levels.

What are the speakers? Single or dual voice coil? What is the impedance of each voice coil? How are the speakers wired? Series? Parallel? Is the amp 2 channel and how are the speakers wired at the amp? Both channels or bridged?

Last edited by mkorsu; 10-05-10 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-05-10, 08:31 PM
aporozco
Driver

alright mkorsu, I get your drift. I'll just get new speakers cause I have some generic rockford fosgate's which I think is the issue.

my amp is 2 channel wired series, bridged. So can I just buy new quality speakers that are rated higher then my amp and avoid this problem? This never happened to my last set but they did die after a year...

thanks again.
Old 10-06-10, 06:14 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by aporozco
alright mkorsu, I get your drift. I'll just get new speakers cause I have some generic rockford fosgate's which I think is the issue.

my amp is 2 channel wired series, bridged. So can I just buy new quality speakers that are rated higher then my amp and avoid this problem? This never happened to my last set but they did die after a year...

thanks again.
Since you said you have your amp bridged, that is the problem. Pretty much no amp can handle lower than a 4 ohm load bridged. Rewire the amp so that each sub is on on an individual channel (ie stereo). This should solve your problem.
Old 10-14-10, 12:41 PM
speeds27
Rookie

Unless you get a really high end amp, most amps won't run a 2 ohms bridge. It would help if you gave us the model number on both and we could help you rewire everything. You don't have to waste your money getting new stuff if your stuff still works.
Old 10-14-10, 11:31 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amp probably is going into protection mode because your subs might be on the verge of blowing or your amp is working too hard. A 2 ch amp is typical is for running a single 4 ohm sub via bridging the amp. This being said if you have a single or dual voice coil changes things. Bottom line you have to know what you are wiring up or you will have these issues quite often. To kick you in the shins further most manufacters will create the same sub ie alpine type s or r's in both 2 and 4 ohm loads or voice coils. If you have no way of looking up your sub, you can still get out a multimeter and see what ohm they read at. Hope it helps.