Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

**Huge Subwoofer Delama Please Help!!**

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 11:07 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm thinking of doing the enclosure under the rear deck route as well, mostly so I don't have to deal with the trunk rattling. I think you'll be happy with this, my last 3 cars have had 1 monster sub and they can definitely perform with enough power and the right box.

Don't want to jack the thread but since the topic is out there a little bit, what would you guys recommend for 1 "bad ***" 12"? I've been out of the game for a while so I don't know everything that's out there.

I'm leaning toward a sealed box so I don't have to fire a port through the rear deck too. I've currently got a little over 1500 watts RMS but switching to a smaller amp is a possibility. Something that doesn't break the bank is a plus.

I was thinking about the FI Q or IDMAX as options but I don't know how either of them would handle the power. I don't run around playing test tones all day but I don't want to seriously overpower it either.

Any other recommendations that would fit those criteria?
Old 02-15-10, 12:21 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
This is where tuning at or near the resonant (Fs) of a speaker works well. The Fs is the point at which the speaker makes it maximum output, so a properly designed system takes this into account.
Excellent note, cant throw a woofer with a high resonant frequency in a low tuned box and expect optimum output.

Actually, most are now tuned right around 35 Hz now, as they learned from the aftermarket. Still doesn't make them good as a "universal" box, but they're getting better.
That I didnt know, I gave up on prefabs a long time ago Now being that its tuned at 35, doesnt that mean you actually read like at 39 or more? I bring it up cause I have a friend who is a DIE HARD DB Dragger and was telling me how when he tunes his boxes he tunes it like 8hz below what he wants to hit (dont remember exact number) cause once the beat is said and done, its higher than its tuned. Care to comment on that?

Couple things to note - a sealed enclosure doesn't "bake" a woofer unless it is seriously overdriven. This isn't a fault of the enclosure so much as it is the listener not paying attention to the limitations.
Basically user error right thats why I bring up ported cause when I used to do the seald thing (with 2 12's), I wanted more more more and things would get hot

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 02-15-10 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 12:25 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
I've currently got a little over 1500 watts RMS but switching to a smaller amp is a possibility. Something that doesn't break the bank is a plus.
what kind of 1500 watts? is it real 1500 watts or printed 1500 watts? What brand?
Old 02-15-10, 03:55 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Excellent note, cant throw a woofer with a high resonant frequency in a low tuned box and expect optimum output.
Thanks, mang. It is a science, after all.

That I didnt know, I gave up on prefabs a long time ago Now being that its tuned at 35, doesnt that mean you actually read like at 39 or more? I bring it up cause I have a friend who is a DIE HARD DB Dragger and was telling me how when he tunes his boxes he tunes it like 8hz below what he wants to hit (dont remember exact number) cause once the beat is said and done, its higher than its tuned. Care to comment on that?
I definitely don't do prefab, but they're not as evil as they once were. There will always be swap meet boxes, however, so not all prefabs are tuned low enough.

The reason they usually tune them lower is because of the distance to the mic, and the octave variance. With steep slopes (-12dB, -24 dB, etc.), the down point is always per octave. If you build it at a lower frequency, the crossover point is then lowered, and if you do it right, it will affect the Fs point minimally. Keep in mind that an octave above 20 Hz is 40 Hz. If your woofer has a Fs of 30 Hz, you want the box built to hit below that so that the crossover is not right at the Fs. This is most applicable to dB type builds, though, not musical. Ideally, if you want to listen to music, you want the port tuned right around the Fs, or slightly below so that the woofer never unloads under high level.

Basically user error right thats why I bring up ported cause when I used to do the seald thing (with 2 12's), I wanted more more more and things would get hot
Yes, for the most part, it is. It's also the result of boxes getting progressively smaller and not allowing for the technology that has been developed to help speakers survive to work. If you slam a woofer into a box and it's only 1/8" clearance from the rear to the wall, how much air do you think gets into a vented pole piece? And how many installers or novice DIY's take this into account when figuring out the power handling of the woofer? A woofer with this design can easily handle 500-1000 watts (which, incidentally is a metric s-ton of power), but only when the technology is fully deployed. Plug that vented to the pole piece, or restrict air to it, and watch the power handling plummet. I've seen it happen many times. I actually got to see a woofer splode in a clear box once. Probably one of the coolest things I ever got to see in an audio test lab.

Oh, and for Kyle, you may want to look at the new DD products. I got to hear 3 8's in tandem in pretty small enclosures, and I was very impressed with their output. Can only imagine what their new 12" will do if done right. Small company, USA made, and not incredibly expensive.

Big Mack
Old 02-15-10, 06:27 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

what kind of 1500 watts? is it real 1500 watts or printed 1500 watts? What brand?
Old US Amps, no flea market power ratings!

Oh, and for Kyle, you may want to look at the new DD products. I got to hear 3 8's in tandem in pretty small enclosures, and I was very impressed with their output. Can only imagine what their new 12" will do if done right. Small company, USA made, and not incredibly expensive.

Big Mack
Don't know why I didn't think of DD, I ran a 9515 ported in a couple different cars years ago and that was a great sub. I'll have to check out what they've got now.
Old 02-15-10, 08:22 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome, US old school is bomb DD is sweet as is FI, cant go wrong with DC Audio if you want a woofer to handle power, however if you get too high of a series woofer, it wont move LMAO, DC series 5 are hella TIGHT (in the literal sense ) Cactus Sound are pretty tough too. Atomic is a unsung hero as well (Manhattan or better) Those are all SPL type woofers btw
Old 02-16-10, 10:58 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Thanks jokster I'll check those out.
Old 02-21-10, 09:38 AM
alan311
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shvc1991
I still can't find the source of my alternator whine through the speakers.
Tried ground isolator? http://vortexaudioexpress.com/store/images/b25n.jpg
Old 02-23-10, 12:09 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

alternator whine usually is caused by power wires too close to signal wires (if not factory system)
Old 03-03-10, 12:46 AM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your high. keep the kickers and toss that rockford garbage away