Sponsored by:

Attn:3rd Gen GS with Mark Levinson & aftermarket sub

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 08:45 AM
CashOverAs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn:3rd Gen GS with Mark Levinson & aftermarket sub

Hi. This message is for people with stock Mark Levinson and an aftermarket subwoofer.
I have posted like 5 times now and the admins probably hate me. I really only got help from 1 person (drexlex) who was very helpful but has a little different set up than me.
I installed a PAC line output converter. The thing sounded awesome. The next day after a half hour drive, my trunk smelled like it was on fire and I looked at the unit and it had melted through. took it to the audio shop to see what I did wrong, they told me it was hooked up perfectly and swapped my unit out for a new one. Called PAC for install help and they told me I hooked up everything correctly so i plugged in the new one. It seemed to work ok for about 3 days but then the same thing happened and the unit is now totally burned through.
So, IF YOU HAVE MARK LEVINSON AND AN AFTERMARKET SUB WORKING. PLEASE CHIME IN HERE AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DID IT.
PAC is now saying the stock ML amp pushes too much power for this to EVER work properly.
Thank you in advance.
Old 06-10-09, 08:06 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Which model from PAC are you using? The SNI35 is only rated for 40 watts, and the SNI 15 is only good for 30. The factory amp pushes a bit more than that, especially at higher volumes.

My suggestion is to lower down the sub level as much as you can, then structure the gain a bit differently on your sub amp. Yes, you'll raise the possibility of getting noise in the system, but it sure beats having a carbecue from a LOC flaming up on you.

Big Mack
Old 06-11-09, 07:32 AM
CashOverAs
Driver

thanks for the response.
I was using the SNI-35
When you say lower down the sub level, you mean from my stock head unit?? I had it turned down 3 clicks UNDER the middle setting. and then the gain turned alll the way up on the amp.
Old 06-11-09, 10:30 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by CashOverAs
thanks for the response.
I was using the SNI-35
When you say lower down the sub level, you mean from my stock head unit?? I had it turned down 3 clicks UNDER the middle setting. and then the gain turned alll the way up on the amp.
Glad to help. If you're using a 35, it's overpowering it and that's where the issue lies. I do mean from the stock head, and 3 under middle isn't much lower, especially at a higher volume. I mean low. As in almost all the way down so that the sub amp is not pushing much into that converter. You can then adjust the converter (the 2 screws for adjustment) and build it back to the RCA side and then on to the amp. Your gain for your amp shouldn't need to be "allll the way up" in order to get good sound levels if you adjust the LOC properly. The problem is that it's mostly by ear, so you've got to mess with it for a bit to get it to a level you can live with.

Try that and you should be okay.

Big Mack