Sponsored by:

What is the Best Free Air Subwoofers for the GS 10-12"

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-02, 10:49 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey Mean Gene...don't really want to post a new thread for this so I'll just ask....what do you think about a 5-channel amp to run everything...ex: mids, highs and sub? also what 5-channel would you suggest for which ever JL you suggest.

Also, I don't want to upgrade door speakers just yet....but what woould you suggest?
Old 03-03-02, 12:17 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question OK

Dag - It depends on just how much of an upgrade U want. A good 5 channel amp won't take up much space or pull much amperage & when coupled with upgraded speakers like Diamond Audio or Boston Acoustics ( or Dynaudio, Focal or Arc Audio, if you're really serious about improving things & your budget allows ) would wake things up quite a bit. Truthfully, I'd recommend that the 3 top-of-the-line speaker brands be wired into separate 2 channel amps to justify their costs & bring out the best performance but that's just my .02. About the 5 channel amp - just make sure it has a separate power supply for the mono subwoofer section ( RF & Kicker's multi-channel amps do ). If not, the shared power supply will find itself pulling power from the smaller speakers whenever a big bass note hits.
As far as the doors go, the greatest sound improvement U could make would be to change out the pitiful 4" factory speakers & replace them with better quality drivers. Unfortunately, I think those 4" speakers R only 2 ohm ( to make the most of the limited power the factory amp supplies ) so it's almost a necessity to then upgrade your amp because the factory amp really won't supply enough power to make the change worth the effort. Of course, U could always change the door speakers w/o adding an amp to see if that would be enough to please your ears. U can easily add an amp later if necessary.