Sponsored by:

Stock Subwoofer Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 09:35 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Subwoofer Fuse?

I recently purchased a 96 sc300 and when i recieved the car the subwoofer is the only speaker that isn't working could there possibly be a fuse or what is the most common problem with it malfunctioning?? any inputs?
thanks
Old 06-28-07, 10:56 PM
Daynja
Pole Position

Does the car have an aftermarket head unit? If so they probably bypassed the factory amp to install it causing you to lose use of the sub...
Old 06-28-07, 10:59 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

nope everything locks completely stock
Old 06-29-07, 10:15 AM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no output fuse for the sub that I know of. The sub is probably just dead.

The speakers in these cars, even with the optional Nak system, are pretty low quality. The subs and rear corner speakers routinely fail. My theory is moisture. If anything wet has ever been left in the trunk (golf clubs after a rainy round, or car wash stuff, or anything else wet) the moisture trapped in the trunk will go through many evaporation-condensation cycles as the trunk heats and cools, and I think this moisture ends up breaking down the insulated wire in the speakers' voice coils, causing them to finally ground out, killing the speaker. I've been through this upgrade twice - on my 03 SC4, the sub and one rear corner were dead, and on my 99, one rear corner didn't work.

If you go in to replace the sub, replace the rear corner speakers too. If they haven't failed yet, they will soon, and you may as well do 'em all while you have the interior torn out. And you'll want to add a bigger amp to run the new sub. The oem sub amps, both Pioneer and Nak, just don't have the power needed to produce good bass.

See this thread for a description of how I replaced my subs in both cars:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=290978