Awesome post! I hope this will save me big bucks. My wife's new used 02 SC 430 has blown 6 x 9 woofers and sub. I just spent a few hours taking the car apart and, thanks to the info from this post, putting it back together (mostly). Surprised it didn't require much cussin' at all.
The only problem I had was trying to get the back rear panels off covering the rear speakers. It didn't want to come off from the area near the headrest and I just couldn't figure out what the little drawing was telling me to do or figure out how it was attached. Those rear speakers sounded okay, so I just left them in. This is the first time I have done anything like this, though. If it can be fixed with paint and spackle, I'm okay. Car repair makes me a bit nervous.
I hope to send the speakers off to be refoamed at www.speakerdoctor.com at about $25 each. There doesn't seem to be a drop-in replacement for the 6x9 and I just don't feel confident in my fabrication abilities to fit a 6 1/2" in there. There just doesn't seem to be a replacement for the 8" sub in 16 ohm, unless you rewire and add an amp as featured here. I'll see how my cheap route goes.
I have successfully refoamed my own speakers in the past but thought I'd let a pro look these over since installation is much more difficult than dropping it back in a home speaker cabinet. I'll let everyone know how it comes out.
i took the plunge, removed door panels and 6x9 ML speakers. surprisingly, popping out opener lever on 1st door took the best of me (cussing!)! also broke 1 plastic clip on 2nd. didn't heed ZGone's advice to be careful!
as feared, surround foam on 6x9 speakers had seperated from the rim. driver side 100% separated. passenger side 50%.
Speaker dilemna: after 1 week of searching, I just couldn't find any 8 ohms 6x9 spkrs! absolutely none! plenty of 4 ohm choices though. frankly i gave up searching for 8 ohm 6x9. Now I have 3 alternatives to choose from.
alt-1: use 4 ohm spkrs, hoping the ML amp can drive w/o major problem.
alt-2: use 4 ohm spkrs and soder 4 ohm resistor
alt-3: repair the ML spkrs. a member had suggested speakerdoctor.com for $25 each. another used silicone glue to reattach the foam.
all 3 alternatives beg more questions!
I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on these alternatives.
I repaired both front door 6x9 using flexible silicone sealant ($4.99 3 oz tube). i reinstalled all and waited 24 hours for the sealant to cure. Today, i tested the sound: more wthan happy with the results, very good bass, no more rattling of blown speakers. i pushed up the volume and bass to +5.
this morning, my kid pointed out that the back seat sub-woofer rattles. i opened the trunk to listen carefully, and sure enough, it is blown too!
so, again i followed ZGone's instructions etc ... took the 20cm sub-woofer out. again repaired it using silicone sealant. reinstalled everything. not patient enough to wait for 24 hour silicone curing period, I tested the sound a little. all i can tell is the bass came through and the rattling gone. will do full sound test tomorrow.
Thanks again ZGone.
I followed the instructions that ZGONE gave and that was a very simple removal process. Thanks for this great detailed post. I did a home remedy solution to fix my 6x9 speaker separation problem. I used some Gasker Sealer. I let it dry for 24 hours and re-installed. It works like new. Well, maybe not like new, but the buzzing is gone and I am enjoying my music once again.