Sponsored by:

okay, how about this amp

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 08:17 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default okay, how about this amp

in my quest for a nice not-too expensive 5 channel, i have come across this. can anybody tell me anything about this make and how realiable their specs are.
thanks alot
Directed 1200/5 Class A/B 5 CH. Stereo Amplifier

Dynamic Power Rating: 1200 watts
S/N: > 95 dB (ch1-4)
S/N: > 80 dB (sub)
Freq. Range: 20-20kHz (ch1-4)
Freq. Range: 20-250Hz (sub)
Damping Factor: > 100 (ch1-4)
Damping Factor: > 50 (sub)
Input Sens.: 150mV to 8V
Rated Power @ 4 ohm: 75 x 4 (ch1-4)
Rated Power @ 4 ohm: 275 x 1 (sub)
Rated Power @ 2 ohm: 125 x 4 (ch1-4)
Rated Power @ 2 ohm: 400 x 1 (sub)
Rated Power @ 1 ohm: N/A (ch1-4)
Rated Power @ 1 ohm: 600 x 1 (sub)
Crossover: var. 12dB 2-way (ch1-4)
Crossover: var. 24dB low-pass (sub)
Bass EQ: No (ch1-4)
Bass EQ: Yes (sub)
RCA Output: Stereo (ch1-4)
RCA Output: Mono (sub)
Protection: T,S,D,R (ch1-4)
Protection: T,S,D,R,O,L (sub)
Old 06-06-07, 10:32 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

that one should be alright, looks like you're gonna have a surfboard in your trunk
Old 06-06-07, 11:23 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

How is it compared to the JL 500/5 amp?
Old 06-06-07, 11:41 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by 88supramki
that one should be alright, looks like you're gonna have a surfboard in your trunk
for my set-up,
90X2 in front,
60X2 in rear and
150X2 all RMS , would you go for the amp iinquired about:
Directed 1200/5 Class A/B 5 CH. Stereo Amplifier which would give
Rated Power @ 4 ohm: 75 x 4 (ch1-4)
Rated Power @ 2 ohm: 400 x 1 (sub)
(BTW, can someone PLEASE tell me if these specs for the directed 1200/5 are RMS or Max watts.)

OR
JL 500/5
which would give
100X2 (ch1-2)
25X2(ch3-4)
250X1 (sub)

i am leaning towards the Directed 1200/5 Class A/B 5 CH. Stereo Amplifier cos
1. it gives more to my rear(i know its rear-fillbut i spent money on the speakers, so why not use them)
2. its way cheaper than the JL500/5

(i spoke to a JL rep today and he advised me that the 25X 2 that the amp gives would really get the 60X2 infinitys going in the rear which i have)

please advise me guys.
My quest for a 5 channel amp is driving me nuts and i want to finish my trunk set-up asap. its all i have left to do.
thanks
olddog
Old 06-06-07, 11:43 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

DEI shouldn't be in the same sentence as JL unless you are talking about DEI's alarms so that no one jacks your JL amp.

You not digging the 500/5 anymore?
Old 06-07-07, 12:06 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by 88supramki
DEI shouldn't be in the same sentence as JL unless you are talking about DEI's alarms so that no one jacks your JL amp.

You not digging the 500/5 anymore?
i am, if i can find one between 200-300 by any chance.

olddog
Old 06-07-07, 12:07 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the price of the 500/5? That other amp puts out a lot more power than that. I just bought an Elemental Designs NINe.5 and am very excited...

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...roducts_id=550
Old 06-07-07, 12:16 AM
olddog
Pole Position

i thought those were still in pre-production. where did u get yours from and how much did u pay for your ednine.5
its really nice and would solve my problem but way too expensive for me.
Old 06-07-07, 01:57 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

I bought it for $450, and your'e right, it is in pre-production. But I should have it within 2-3 weeks.

I've spent almost the same amount of money on stuff that Ive bought and realized wasn't worth it. Its just been my experience now to wait and spend more money on what you truly want and will do the job properly. Do it once, do it right. I've heard that so many times on this forum, and many times I've tried to do temporay things: while they were great for a while, eventually you're left unsatisfied and end up spending more in the long run.
Old 06-07-07, 02:43 AM
olddog
Pole Position

i hear you. but if i buy that from the ed website for 450. when changed to canadian its about 500cad and shipping is probably about 40-50cad and i guarantee you the boys at the border will take their piece of custom duty and tax for about a 100cad. so i will end payingclose to 700 for that amp.
except if i plan on visiting my brother in the U.S, then i can have it shippped to his place and pick it up but i am not coming over to the U.S until after summer.
see my predicament?
Old 06-07-07, 11:48 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by olddog
i hear you. but if i buy that from the ed website for 450. when changed to canadian its about 500cad and shipping is probably about 40-50cad and i guarantee you the boys at the border will take their piece of custom duty and tax for about a 100cad. so i will end payingclose to 700 for that amp.
except if i plan on visiting my brother in the U.S, then i can have it shippped to his place and pick it up but i am not coming over to the U.S until after summer.
see my predicament?
That really sucks man, I had no idea that you had to pay that much duty on electronics. Same thing happens when I take stuff over to India for my family... the immigration officers are ridiculous and corrupt.. maybe you should look at multiple, small amps? my current setup has a 2 ch amp that is pretty tiny, and it pushes good power. Check out some of the new alpine amps, they are pretty small in physical size and have good ratings. If you're looking at used stuff on eBay, its gonna be tough to find a good 5ch amp. You will definitely have better luck getting multiple amps to handle the same load, and it will probably work out to be cheaper. (Don't know about shipping though..)
Old 06-07-07, 12:42 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Directed built great amps at one time-- Not sure about now--

You can always try it--

The specs are awesome--
Old 06-07-07, 02:49 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by olddog
(i know its rear-fillbut i spent money on the speakers, so why not use them)
We have all gone out and spent a lot of money on a car that is a high quality machine. Based on that, I assume that you appreciate quality in other aspects of your life. Why do you keep asking about amps that will push your speakers to their absolute limits. You will never use the full capabilities of these amps you are looking at and if you did, the thermal compression on your speakers would not sound very good.

Your comment about using the rear speakers because you bought them is similar to people who stretch the picture on their new widescreen TV. Distort the picture, lower the quality and butcher the director's artistic impression just to fill up your screens' real estate.

If you were going with a large amp so you could have a massive amount of head room and keep your distortion in the .0000001% range, then I could understand your obsession with these 5 channel amps. Except for mentioning JL, the rest of your system is not in that category. It's better than average but Infinity speakers aren't in the same class as CDT or DLS.

I think Suneet's idea about smaller Alpine amps is a much better idea. My favorite amps are the PPI M and AM series from the late 80's/early 90's. If you are dead set on a big 5 channel, the ED is a great choice. Check out their forum about Canadian ordering. They should have a distributor up there and I've seen some posts about a group buy.

-Robert
Old 06-07-07, 03:38 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The voice of wisdom speaketh--

It is always a valid option to buy a less expensive higher power amp and run it at lower levels to achieve acceptable distortion levels (0.1% usually) --

If you can hear your rear speakers at the same volume as the fronts, your imaging is officially screwed up anyhow-- 2ch sound through 4ch's = wrong basically-- The acoustics of the rears firing off the back glass will create close to a 3db gain in the upper mid frequencies, which means you want to feed them 30% (help me here) less power to achieve balance (which is still not balanced if fronts=rears volume) --

The ED is probably the best choice out of all of these amps -- but in reality, you may get the DEI and be absolutely content with it's performance and use it for the next 10 years -- You may even claim it's been the best amp you've ever had up to that point--

If you try it and it works for you, then it works for you-- Seems closer to your price point, but if I were you I would still be snooping around for an older MTX 5400x 5ch if you want a good strong amp that's clean at a good price--

85x4~ is pretty solid power for mids and highs, you definitely will not be driving around with all that power to your speakers very often, if you do you won't hear very well for very long ---
Old 06-08-07, 03:10 PM
olddog
Pole Position

alright, i finally get the picture.
the fact that the RMS value is 90 and my speaker requires 90 does not mean a 40 or 50 will not do.
listening to music at 90rms rarely ever ever happens.
i understand the concept of the rear-fill now.
i think i will go with the DEI. My current alpine v12 is doing fin but its not 2ohm stable at the 5th ch.(which i have been running it at) and i don't want it to break down from this.
thanks guys.
i now understand more about soundstaging, rear-fill etc.
olddog

Quick Reply: okay, how about this amp