Sponsored by:

MP3 DVD for my '06 GS430????

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 09:22 AM
k_camacho1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 DVD for my '06 GS430????

What's up. Does anyone know if the GS430 plays MP3's on a DVD? Or does anyone know any way I can burn songs into a DVD and play them in my car?? ONe person told me how to do this a long time ago and it worked, I was able to play it in my GS430, but I forgot what the name of the program was. Thanks!
Old 09-29-06, 10:20 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

I'm pretty sure it doesn't play mp3's. Do you have ML? In which case, you could convert your MP3's and burn as DVD-audio or something like that. There is an existing thread in the 3rd gen forum that talks about this.
Old 09-29-06, 02:11 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by k_camacho1
What's up. Does anyone know if the GS430 plays MP3's on a DVD? Or does anyone know any way I can burn songs into a DVD and play them in my car?? ONe person told me how to do this a long time ago and it worked, I was able to play it in my GS430, but I forgot what the name of the program was. Thanks!
I think you're looking for Audio DVD Creator; like kissbang alluded to, it'll convert the MP3 into DVD audio format (i.e., Mpeg 1 layer 2). This is necessary since the majority--if not all--of car audio CD/DVD players out there today are not capable of reading DVD-R and/or DVD-ROM encoded discs (I'm referring to the booktype, not the type of disc media).
Old 10-04-06, 02:04 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I have the same question but with my 07 GS350. It does in fact play MP3s and WMA files but so far I have only gotten it to play files on CD. Not files burned to DVD. I am burning a new DVD now with Roxio and will try it tomorrow. Hope it works! 4.7GB X 6 = no need for ipod connectivity!
Old 10-04-06, 03:14 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

I don't think it will play them off DVD. If not, you are going to have to convert and burn them in Audio-DVD format. It might take awhile but, in the end, you'll have those 4.7x6 gigs of songs in your car.
Old 10-04-06, 11:59 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I have the same question but with my 07 GS350. It does in fact play MP3s and WMA files but so far I have only gotten it to play files on CD. Not files burned to DVD. I am burning a new DVD now with Roxio and will try it tomorrow. Hope it works! 4.7GB X 6 = no need for ipod connectivity!
I'm 99% certain it won't work since I believe the Lexus CD/DVD head unit is not capable of reading DVD-R or DVD-ROM booktype formats, which is the format you'd need to use in order to burn your MP3s to DVD as data files (similar to burning in CD-R/ROM format). Not that it is not possible to burn your MP3 files to DVD in DVD-ROM format, but that the Lexus stereo is not capable of reading such a DVD-ROM disc. I say 99% certain because I haven't tried it myself, but I've yet to come across a car stereo that can read DVD-ROM (I have a Pioneer car stereo player in my truck that can read DVD Video-formatted discs but not DVD-ROM discs); not saying that such a car stereo doesn't exist...but that I haven't personally seen one.
Old 10-04-06, 02:53 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toneman
I'm 99% certain it won't work since I believe the Lexus CD/DVD head unit is not capable of reading DVD-R or DVD-ROM booktype formats, which is the format you'd need to use in order to burn your MP3s to DVD as data files (similar to burning in CD-R/ROM format). Not that it is not possible to burn your MP3 files to DVD in DVD-ROM format, but that the Lexus stereo is not capable of reading such a DVD-ROM disc. I say 99% certain because I haven't tried it myself, but I've yet to come across a car stereo that can read DVD-ROM (I have a Pioneer car stereo player in my truck that can read DVD Video-formatted discs but not DVD-ROM discs); not saying that such a car stereo doesn't exist...but that I haven't personally seen one.
I just tried it and unfortunately you are right. It won't play a DVD full of MP3s! Which is strange considering that a movie DVD is really just a bunch of files on DVD. Oh well, I guess I have to settle for 800mb x 6. It's too bad there isn't an aux input for ipods in the center armrest like the ES350.
Old 10-05-06, 11:00 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I just tried it and unfortunately you are right. It won't play a DVD full of MP3s! Which is strange considering that a movie DVD is really just a bunch of files on DVD. Oh well, I guess I have to settle for 800mb x 6. It's too bad there isn't an aux input for ipods in the center armrest like the ES350.
Look on the bright side--now you have a DVD full of MP3s that you can play on your PC--LOL!!!

I share your frustration but as you noted, all is not entirely lost by having to settle for 6 CDs since a single CD-R can hold roughly 8 hours of 160 kbps MP3 songs; less if encoded at higher bitrates, more if encoded at lower bitrates.
Old 04-24-11, 07:36 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

com'on it's 2011 now, hopefully somebody figured out something by now! Not VAIS...
Old 04-28-14, 10:39 PM
striderg3
Rookie

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
com'on it's 2011 now, hopefully somebody figured out something by now! Not VAIS...
2014 - there is no solution.
the manufacturers just can't have people enjoying too much music at once!
its against the rules -_-
the aux connection should have been a standard on all gs models.
I would at least expect the capability to read MP3's..
even the 3 mercedes models i have owned in the past 04-06 have not read mp3 or had aux.
same goes for 2006 330i i had.. and my 05 audi a4.. and my volvo s40 2006.. NONE had decks that could read mp3... an aux cable isn't that expensive to have designed into these cars from the get-go. they could have just left a simple cable routed inside the dash..
these people and their senseless cost saving garbage techniques. more like they don't give a crap. just wana sell you more options!!!!!!!!! yay hooray for needless spending