Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Need a non-drilling backup sensor.. is there any???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 02:01 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need a non-drilling backup sensor.. is there any???

I am planning to install a backup sensor for my ES330 ... I got a quoatation to get it installed $450.00 .. (Crimestopper sensor) I am not very sure how good is this brand and also the $ amount.. sounds like it's too expensive wherelse on ebay the parts alone does not costs more than $50.00 ... Any suggestions??

I was more thinking of getting the non-drilling backup sensor and install them em by myself... anyone here have done that before?? your input is highly appreciated...

Thanks Guys...
Old 05-04-06, 12:40 AM
kratos
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its pretty straight-forward. You get the surface mount ones and stick them onto your tail light lens. You just have to run the wire through the crack between the body and the tailight. The 'beeper' unit can go in the trunk near the tailight access panel.

I'll tell you right now though, nothing beats a 4-sensor unit drilled right into the bumper. Auto-i makes some of the better units out there and should cost around $100 US or so. These ones should be installed by a reputable installer though as there is a trick in getting them through the bumper.
Old 05-04-06, 06:24 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Arrow

Originally Posted by kratos
Its pretty straight-forward. You get the surface mount ones and stick them onto your tail light lens. You just have to run the wire through the crack between the body and the tailight. The 'beeper' unit can go in the trunk near the tailight access panel.

I'll tell you right now though, nothing beats a 4-sensor unit drilled right into the bumper. Auto-i makes some of the better units out there and should cost around $100 US or so. These ones should be installed by a reputable installer though as there is a trick in getting them through the bumper.
Thanx a lot for that info... I have a reputable installer here at my place which does a lot lexus models. He suggested the Crimestopper backup sensor.. which costs $99.99 but the labor is $350.00 because he claims the whole bumper has to come off the vehicle. I have a 06 Lexus and it's so new that I am reluctant to have them to something like this.. is this normal.. cause I taught even drilling was as easy as drill and run the wires through the crack??

Anybody have done this before?? pls help.. need to confirm what the salesperson said. Though I trust him cause it's a reputable shop and they deal with all luxury cars... just wanted to find out if there is any other options..

Thanks Guys...
Old 05-04-06, 04:01 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've installed sensors in three different cars.

I think the labor charge is way too high. 99.9%, I'll bet this shop never did a Lexus bumper, so they just estimate high, just in case it takes longer.

If this were a German car I'd say the price is right, but Japanese cars are way too easy. Remember your car is basically Toyota construction.

You can go to any body shop and ask how much they would charge to remove and re-install your bumper. My guess is 2 hours max times the hourly labor rate (Please don't go to the dealer for this) In NorCal that would be $180 for an independent, but I hope the labor time is less than that and your local shop rate could be less.

You could even have a body shop remove the bumper and let the installer do the work. Then have the shop come back and re-install it. Heck the bumper will stay on the car with about 4 screws. Just have the rest installed afterwards.

Is this kit just wired up to the back up lightbulb harness?

Thats a 2 wire hook up. Way too easy.

Is there just a speaker that beeps or is there a sensor or display that needs to go up front. That would be the only justification to charge more.

All the cars I did I just put the beeper in the rear of the car, some place hidden. It has adjustable volume so no problem hearing it. I think the brand I used is from Accele and cost around $125.

I can refer a dealer if needed.

As far as driling holes, you need to pick a spot where the metal bumper behind the plastic does not interfere. A lot of spots in most cars. I had to trim the styrofoam bumper backing a bit for the hole clearance. That's easy as well.

Here's the kit I installed in a 2004 IS300. You can see I had the sensors painted separately to match. The kit even comes with a masking ring since you can't get paint on the inner circle of the sensor.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 05-04-06 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-04-06, 08:25 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Question

Originally Posted by RMMGS4

I can refer a dealer if needed.

RMMGS4,

I really appreciate your input... thats what I was thinking.. boy the labor os $350.00 wherelse the part is only 99.99. I am currently in Baltimore/Columbia Maryland... pls let me know if you know ayone around here which does this type of work... the shop I was talking about is Audio Connection.
Old 05-05-06, 12:21 AM
RMMGS4

Since I'm on the west coast I know nothing in your area.

Post your Q in your regional section. That's the best place to get recommendations about any local services.
Old 05-05-06, 07:27 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Since I'm on the west coast I know nothing in your area.

Post your Q in your regional section. That's the best place to get recommendations about any local services.
Boy.. wish I was in west coast... how do I do that.. can I put a post here only for east coast?? pls advice.. Thank You so much.. you have been very helpful and saved me a ton $$...
Old 05-05-06, 07:39 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Exclamation

Originally Posted by sk72
Boy.. wish I was in west coast... how do I do that.. can I put a post here only for east coast?? pls advice.. Thank You so much.. you have been very helpful and saved me a ton $$...
RMMGS4 -- don't worry about it.. I found the link.. .. thnx buddy!!
Old 05-05-06, 10:20 AM
RMMGS4

No problem.

The regional forums are a valuable resource for referrals.

Good Luck
Old 05-05-06, 12:07 PM
kratos
Pole Position

I am a manager of a dealer services at an audio shop and we do these things all day long. Price for labour for 4 sensors through my shop (wholesale mind-you) is $140 - $200 CDN (So maybe $120 - 175 US or so). $350 is way too much.
Old 05-08-06, 12:03 PM
sk72
Pole Position

I am a manager of a dealer services at an audio shop and we do these things all day long. Price for labour for 4 sensors through my shop (wholesale mind-you) is $140 - $200 CDN (So maybe $120 - 175 US or so). $350 is way too much.
Hi, your price seems more reasonable by the way where r u located??

Thanks Buddy!!
Old 05-09-06, 11:36 PM
kratos
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sk72
Hi, your price seems more reasonable by the way where r u located??

Thanks Buddy!!
Vancouver, BC, Canada....eh.
Old 05-12-06, 10:21 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Vancouver, BC, Canada....eh.

Dammmm!!! it would be cheaper in Canadian $ exchange for me !!! huh....

I decided not to do it for now since I am getting mixed feeling about allowing someone to drill into my bumper on my new car..
Old 09-28-10, 06:29 PM
angelina10
Driver School Candidate

$450 only for installation? That is not affordable for me, I just did a DIY installation with my back up sensor, looks great, only cost me +US$300.