Sponsored by:

need advice on installation of 12" sub and amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-01, 04:32 PM
Mayur Patel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,

i bought a 12" RF HX2 dvc sub and a memphis audio 500 watt amp for my lexus gs300. i am getting it installed at a local audio shop. i need some advice on how to install the sub( as in taking out the old sub and shooting the new sub up the hole, or shooting the sub toward the trunk) i heard that the car is soo pact together that its gonna be hard to get any bass to the inside if i shoot it toward the trunk. and how much do u think it would approx cost to get this installed with a regular band pass box??? do think i should use a 4 or 8 guage wire. please advice mean gene.... thanks

mayur
Old 08-30-01, 05:19 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bandpass

Mayur - Well, if ya look in the previous post entitled "Novice Installer ***" & check out the pics, U'll see that the rear seat needs to come out to give U access to the rear deck lid so U can remove the factory 10" woofer. Percy's detailed instructions are somewhere further down in the archives - https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...hreadid=13575. U seem to have 2 choices - either install the HX2 in a sealed box mounted in the stock location or having a bandpass box built for the woofer. If U want LOUD & can fill in the frequency gaps with maybe an 8" midbass in the rear doors, then the BP can do the job. Personally, I don't think much of them other than they're LOUD!!:eek: If U want any kind of SQ, I'd have a small sealed box built for the HX2 & fire it up through the factory opening. Not only will that sound better than a BP ( & the HX isn't designed for infinite baffle use ), the box should rest on that little ledge to help support the enclosure - don't think the factory framework is strong enough to hold the heavy HX2. I'd opt for the 4 awg power/ground wires, especially if there's a long run from the battery to the amp itself ( to minimize parasitic power losses ). Just be sure & use a good brand of wire ( 100% oxygen-free copper - lots on the market like Stinger, RF, Streetwires, etc ). For speaker wires, I wouldn't think U'd need anything fancy like the Gamma series from RF ( has twisted wires to cancel out noise ) but consider a decent brand of RCA's for the amp; again, the above mentioned companies are all good & reasonably priced. Good luck with the system!