Sponsored by:

Audio System Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-01, 10:09 PM
da-mit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have a 99 GS300. I put a Rockford Fosgate Power DVC 15 in there with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 800.2. The sub holds 1000 watts rms and 2000 peak so I am pushing it pretty good. The speaker is really loud in the trunk, but does not sound good at all in the car. I thought taking the factory sub out would help because it would act as a port into the car, so I had that taken out. After I took it out, there was a little less rattle, and just a tad difference in the sound but still doesnt sound like it should. I was wondering if any of you all fellow GS owners know why it does not sound good. Would putting a new free-air sub 10 in the spot of the factory one sound better, because it doesnt hit hard at all. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 08-07-01, 10:35 PM
da-mit
Driver School Candidate

Come on, someone has to know something.
Old 08-07-01, 10:47 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

what is your sub facing at? need to face it toward the back of the car for more acoustic space, or you just gonna hear distored bass and vibration of your back seat

what setting is your sub? seal box? band pass? or what? what do you meant by not sounding good? vibration or sound quality?

sound vibration: turn the gain down

sound quality? : that is your box type (as question above), direction of sub, and what is your cross over setting on the sub? (80hz is a good place to start)
==> is your sub too loud for your in car speakers? if you pushing a 15" sub and using factory speakers on the doors, there this is your problem, you just gonna hear only distored based from the trunk

also, is the polarity on the sub correct? it should be pushing out when a bass hit.

:eek:
Old 08-07-01, 10:59 PM
da-mit
Driver School Candidate

My sub is in a sealed box facing the trunk. There is no sound distortion, just not loud at all in the car for that big of a speaker. The speakers sounds really loud when you open the trunk.
Old 08-07-01, 11:12 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

you have a 15" dual voice coil sub,
how do you wire it up? your 2 channels amp, each channel / coil ?

how about, bridge 2 channel into 1, put the coil in parallel (asumming they are 4ohms each) which effective putting the loading into 2ohms, (check your amp to see if it can handle 2ohm speakers) ==> then you get double your power to the sub

now, if you have 8ohm coils, then it will not be loud :eek: you can also do similar thing as describled above

yeah, remove the stock sub, it will help

i don't have the sub setup in the trunk yet, so i don't know how would it sounds, sorry
Old 08-07-01, 11:15 PM
da-mit
Driver School Candidate

I haven't really looked at how it is wired up, and audio installation place did it, so im sure they did it the best way, it just seems like there is too much are pressure in the trunk or something, beats me. Do you think that a aftermarket freeair sub in the spot of the stock one would sound good?
Old 08-07-01, 11:54 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

A member by the name of "Mean Gene"
knows everything about systems. He has the nicest setup in his GS. Good luck dam it
Old 08-08-01, 12:56 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

da-mit,

My opinion is the sealed box isn't big enough for that 15" DVC.. I don't have my specs with me on that woofer but I do know you need a fair sized box to get the bass you are looking for.. Honestly a ported box would of given you that added snap you are looking for but the DVC is best suited to a sealed enclosure as I recall.. Here is a pic of my one of my former cars (Intrepid) from my car stereo competition days showing 2 - 10" Fosgates with a ported enclosure..
Attached Thumbnails Audio System Problem-subs1.jpg  
Old 08-08-01, 05:57 AM
da-mit
Driver School Candidate

The box that I have was custom made to fit the little indention in the back of the trunk, so I'm not sure if the box is not big enough, its pretty big, but then again, that speakers needs a quiet big box.
Old 08-08-01, 12:12 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Somebody Call My Name??

Da - Banana raised some excellent points/questions that will go a long way in helping us solve your problem. The DVC needs LOTS of power & how U have it wired can make all the difference. Your amp should make 900+ watts ( peak ) into a 2 ohm load based on my years of running RF so, believe it or not, U MAY not have enough power on that sub, depending on the wiring. RF may not tell the average consumer but having been a member of Team Fosgate before, I've found out from RF techs ( & learned on my own ) that the Power DVC's are actually designed for a ported enclosure although they'll work OK in a sealed box. To give ya an example, I originally had (2) Power DVC 12's in my box with a Power 1100a2 running them ( 2 ohm mono load ). Despite the amp putting out 1344 peak watts, my RF tech buddy said to run it like I had it properly, I'd need an 1100a2 on EACH sub!! If your box takes up the entire ledge in the trunk, then it's about 2.75 - 3 cubic feet ( interior volume ). That looks to be near the low end of the recommended sealed box size but still acceptable - going larger would probably pick up a little more low end at the expense of response time & SQ. Personally, I've never understood the idea of firing a sub INTO a trunk instead of into the cabin - works great in a hatchback because it allows the bass wave to fully mature ( depending on the sub size ) by reflecting the bass wave off the hatchback & toward the driver. By firing into the trunk & even using the factory sub port to funnel the bass into the cabin, U almost have an untuned bandpass enclosure. Try firing the 15" UP through the factory hole in which U said U removed the factory 10". As far as woofer recommendations, answer Percy's #1 question - SQ or SPL? BTW - thanks go out to 4to4 for his compliments but Percy has the nicest pure SQ setup I've seen. Also, Erick & xsuperjoex have some nice systems - to to www.sounddomain.com to check them out. Mine's at www.aceaudio.net under "Custom Installation".
Banana - Man, it LOOKS like I'll be on call next weekend for the TXSTYLE Dallas meet but maybe I can swap out the weekend with another engineer & zip over. Sure gonna try!! Really want to meet ya'll & maybe some of the Houston gang will make it!!?
Old 08-08-01, 01:48 PM
da-mit
Driver School Candidate

Hey Mean Gene, are you going to the Dallas meet, I will be there, so if i don't solve the problem, maybe you can take a look at it for me. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-16-01, 10:41 AM
spykedawg
Rookie

one thing to be careful for if you do port through the rear deck is cancellation/standing waves. sometimes, when a port and sub are firing into different planes (let alone different cabins), you get some cancellation. on the flip side, it can work miracles if this does not happen. keep us posted, hope this helped any.