Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

IS 300 Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-01, 08:24 AM
Dealer

Question

I am almost embarrassed to ask, having installed car stereos for 5 years while in college, but that was a while ago, and I ramble....

I was looking at putting in a sub and amp in my IS300, problem is it looks like a real PITA to do. I have the amp and sub already, but to get to the head unit looks as though I would have to remove the center console, as well as a large portion of the dash. A daunting task indeed. So I considered just upgrading the factory speakers. Does anyone know what size the front components are? They look like 6.5" and a 1" tweeter, but can anyone confirm this? I also believe that the rear speakers are 6x9" <sigh> Cars were not put together this well ten years ago...
Old 07-02-01, 10:09 AM
NDCENT1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Kits and Speaker info for IS 300

You are right on the speaker sizers in the IS 300. The front doors are 6 1/2 inch with 1" tweeter's in the corners. The rear speakers are 6x9's. The factory amplifier is located behind the glove box. As far as replacing the head unit, Scosche is working on a dash kit for it and it should be out in the late summer. I'm still confused on how they classify the system as having 8 speakers. I'm not sure what the people at Lexus were thinking when they made that quote but I guess they are counting the 6x9's as having 2 speakers in them. They are 2-way speakers so I guess that's where they get that classification. Very strange!!
Old 07-02-01, 10:54 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy hat's What I've Heard!

Been told that Lexus considers those 6x9 coaxials to be 2 speakers; hence the 8 speaker total. Who does their math?? Obviously they don't understand audio either. It's extremely rare for an oval 6x9 speaker to accurately reproduce music. Kinda the same for the Kicker L7's - they may hit but sound like garbage - IMO. Haven't heard the new Xtant hexagon shaped speakers but at least those R close to a round shape. Percy's father has an IS3 but he won't let Master P close enough to it to mod the stereo - D***!!
Old 07-02-01, 07:54 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Mean Gene,

Ehhh...he wouldn't appreciate good sound quality anyways. His hearing is notched from all of the heavy machinery/factory stuff that he does. Advised him to get earplugs...but does he listen? (nope!) Oh well!

Percy