Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

SC300/400 Climate Control Backlighting

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-01, 05:58 AM
MISURA

Originally posted on Ladman by Sel, 2/16/00

"Just a quick post to let you know that I have succesfully replaced blown globes in the climate control module that are used as backlighting for the LCD panel. The procedure is pretty straight forward and it cost me less than $10 AUS including some modifications to make it easier to replace them next time.

1. Pull outh the module after removing the console, and three molex plugs at the back for the wiring harness.

2. Remove the two small Phillips head screws which are behind the front section, lift the plastic tabs and pull the front of the module away from the back.

3. Disconnect the two harness plugs, by using a very small flat blade screwdriver. Do not pull on the harness, as this may damage the delicate plugs.

4. Undo the five screw holding the PCB to the casing and pull out the "guts" of it. You should see the LCD, white plastic diffraction chamber, and the three globes are under the chamber.

5. GENTLY!!! bend the plastic chamber towards the pins to get enough clearance so that you can slide it over the globes. This will expose the three globes, which are mounted onto small plastic (black) bases and soldered onto the board.

6. Unsolder the blown globe(s) and replace it with a new one. For you guys in the USA, I assume you would buy genuine ones. Here in Sydney I couldn't get them, so I used the ones from the electronics store, if you by non-genuine ones, try to get them 4mm 12V 100mA incandescent type. Wrap the globe leads around the base and solder the whole lot onto the board.

7. Assembly is the reversal procedure.

OPTIONAL!!!

To make future repair(s) a much easier affair, I have performed the following modifications to the module.

1. Cut off all forty (40) pins of the LCD. Be carefull not to bend them. Sharp side cutters are best for this step. DO NOT cut them short.

2. Unsolder the "legs" that are on the PCB. Make sure that you pick up any surpluss solder so that the holes are visible.

3. Buy some SIMM socket plugs. You'll need to buy at least 2 x 20 pins for the LCD.

4. Solder the socket plugs onto the PCB, and another 3 x 2 for the globes.

5. Fit the globes into the sockets. I paid $6.80 AUS for ten globes from electronics shop, Jaycar, Tandy, Radio Shack...

6. Fit the white plastic diffuser over the globes. Fith the LCD on the top and "trim" any legs down by another 1-2mm and carefully "plug" the LCD into the socket.

7. Assemble the rest, but note that the sockets for the LCD legs may foul the plastic casing... If that happens then very gently lever the plastic with a small screw driver so that it clears.

THAT IS ALL

For an ivestment of about one hour and less than $10 AUS you will have fixed up your blown globes, modified the module so that you can simply pull out the LCD for access and also pull out the blown globes, without having to resolder anything ever again. All this took me less than an hour without any special tools or skills.

Hope this helps

Sel"