Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Update on my baby and audio/vid install.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-05, 12:20 AM
andy2003si
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my baby and audio/vid install.

*Warning long read, and bad grammer*

Cliff Notes: My bad experience with installing an aftermarket system but in the end made the system better just cost a little more Worth the read! Please reply with your comments instead of just "lerking"

First off my check engine from misfire went off (I guess cuz I d/c the battery when I did my headunit install and that resets the codes and hasn't come back in 2 days =D soo stoked even though it was probably from the distributor being a little retarded anyways!)

Well i bought a double din dvd player/screen (lcd tilts to slide the cd/dvd in) first I used the factory amp by wiring my rcas as lowlevel inputs to the amp but had ground noise, then evenutally it drove me crazy so i used the headunit internal amp and spliced AROUND the amp and it was workin fine til one day i turned it up the speakers started to crackle then no sound came out! SO the internal amp went bad on my 800 dollar headunit so I had 3 options. Send it back to hongkong MAYBE get it fixed by warranty and spend almost 100 on shippin #2. Get it repaired which was estimated at 100 or the 3rd and best option get a external 300w amp off ebay for 50 bux and have more watts and way better sound quality then the internal amp in the headunit. Well let me say something, I HATE THAT GASTANK location and if u ever plan to wire an amp ur gunna need to drill through the firewall, take out the rear seats and pull the liner outta the trunk man did i tear this car apart where it got overwhelmig. I didn't find a whole through the firewall so i ran it through the fender/up through the door (temporarily) and the RCA cables on the otherside (cant see them at all ) put my power inverter in my console put my PS2 in the back and it's working GREAT i'm so happy! Oh and for everyone who says wiring the system in the SC is hard especislly using factory wiring to the speakers ur nuts! But i've always been good at wiring, remember though THE DIAGRAMS are ur friends and always double check them!! The only thing I havent figure out is the sub wiring which I could care less cuz my 2 10s are enough for me, I can't believe some of u got some high estimates over 500 bux it was easy!

My advice for people planning to do this:
Print out 2 copys of the 2 page diagrams
Take you're time and always double check the wires to the diagram in location and color wise!
Plan out a weekend, especially if ur a n0bb!
Expect the unexpected if things dont go ur way it can always be fixed/corrected; so don't fret if it's not working trace your problems (which is why I recommend a weekend =P)
Oh yeah and tons of electrical tape! (and solder gun if u gotta be that perfect, twsting them secures them enough for me just as long as you have at least an inch stripped then twist them together then twist them around each other and tape, u won't get that sucker apart unless u pry!)

Heres pics yes I know I need to fill that gap (i'll dremel a direct fit piece of plastic later heh)

Oh yah P.S. I love my car I wouldn't give it up for the world every hour or so gotta check out my window seein my baby sittn there pretty almost brings tears of joy to my face everytime, I feel this love will never fade (I always get emotionally attached to my babies but the SC is my girrl, I admit I love her more then my g/f don't tell her that though!!!)

Last edited by andy2003si; 01-08-05 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-08-05, 08:35 AM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

that looks great, i have the same headunit but never had a chance to put it in, is that the caska 1601 can you watch dvds while driving and do you have any pics of the wires you tapped together from the OEM harness to the HU harness.
Old 01-08-05, 08:47 AM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice clean job!

Nice job. I like what you've done.
That HU fits perfect horizontally and vertically (almost). I've never seen after market HU fits that nice.
What kind is it and model number? and does it have AUX input for iPod?
Old 01-08-05, 09:42 AM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

What model HU? looks like it has 0 issues opening on the angle.. hitting the ashtray or shifter..
Old 01-08-05, 10:06 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

Looks like a great setup. When u mention diagrams are you talking about the schematics from the electrical book or what?

Good job,
Jonny
Old 01-08-05, 02:18 PM
andy2003si
Rookie

Originally Posted by abboushi
that looks great, i have the same headunit but never had a chance to put it in, is that the caska 1601 can you watch dvds while driving and do you have any pics of the wires you tapped together from the OEM harness to the HU harness.
Yes It is the caska and yes I can while driving , and no I don't but I can list every wire u need from the factory harness and factory amp harness either if ur not good with electrical stuff and help you whitch ever way u wanna go my aim sn is supercharge33 im me whenever you want i'm on alot. But whatever u do don't use the factory amp or u will get engine noise no matter what you do!! So I recommend using the internal amp (but judging by what happened to the caska POS internal amp i'd just get a nice 300w 4 channel on ebay for around 40 or 50 bux shipped. 300 watts is perfect the speakers are on the edge but won't blow and sounds at it's best! And the external ones always have better "useable watts" I mean, look how small the headunit internal amp is it's poopy! lol

techsc400: Yes thats because it's a double din/ twin din basicly any twin DIN will fit that good (I think once I fill the gap it'll look pretty factory, what i wanna do is fill the gap in with a plastic piece cut with the dremel perfect and get a sticker made that says lexus audio video or lexus premium AV to make it really look factory!), the model is the caska 1601 you can get it on ebay for 690 shipped from hongkong in 2-4 days (depending if customs wants to **** around)

sourcemine: For the model look what I said to tech . No it has no problems hitting and actually now I have the "gap" at the bottom instead of the top so I have even more clearence now! You can have the "gap" at either top or bottom and fill it in later.

DX3: Yes schematics diagrams all same stuff, and thanks bro.

Thanks for the comments and compliments keep em comin'
Old 01-09-05, 09:41 AM
Jput
Driver School Candidate

Nice install, and good to see a 5-speed SC out there. I sold my 96 Pearl White SC300 5-speed w/ 38k not 138k but 38k miles about a year ago and I still miss that car.
Old 01-09-05, 10:10 PM
SC400Chinx
Driver School Candidate

So which wires do you really need to splice into?

Im changing my speaker wiring BTW, so of course the stock ones wont really matter.
Old 01-16-05, 11:29 PM
andy2003si
Rookie

bump
Old 01-24-06, 05:23 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

I admire your effort so don't get offended but for a car you love so much you could have at least used butt connectors to hold the wires together and maybe something over the top of the unit to fill the gap. But nice job and I'm sure it sounds great and looks even better in real life! Thanks for the post!
Old 01-24-06, 05:57 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Hey man, that looks great. Coming from someone who went the DIY route on his system, I COMPLETLY understand the troubles you had. I must have cut myself probably 3 times just trying to get the carpet up. I drive a 1st gen GS, but trust me it is just as bad(except for takin out the rear seats, thats probably easier in my car ) Anyway, like I said thats awesome and you did a great job, just need to fill that gap. What you were talking about filling with a piece cut with Lexus Premium Audio/Video would be so cool, haha.

Heres a pic of my setup.

Everything works great except I might have a ground problem with my screen as it blinks when I turn the music up real loud. I only use the screen to scan through my MP3's though.